1998 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
Questions
By kdub on 05/20/10 18:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

My door handle broke and I see almost everyone else's has too! Other than that the car really is awesome!

Expensive to repair
By LeoV on 07/29/09 02:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought mine used with 125000 miles on it, owned it for a year, the private party i bought it from didnt tell me that the water pump needed replacement@$700.00 (they have to lift the engine to replace it). Head gasket was gone, window buttons fell apart, clearcoat on paint peeled, front struts break, leaks oil everywhere, luckily i was able to trade it in for what i bought it for, ($1100.00).

Best Car Ever
By Best Car Ever on 10/21/08 16:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Bought this car from a lady in 03 with 67,000 miles on it. I now have 140,000 and it is still going strong. The only problem I had, was the ball joint broke, but Dodge fixed it. My car is a 4 cylinder 5 speed which is faster and quicker than the auto 6 cylinder. The car handles like a dream and rides perfect. Gas mileage is about 30 miles on the hwy and 22 in town. Run this car till it dies, probably buy another new Dodge avenger because of this one!

Has run like a champ
By Chip Wade on 05/08/06 11:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 11k miles. Has run great and always been reliable. Just now starting to need engine work, 6 years later. Either it goes through brake pads quickly or I do.ha I do have some nasty paint oxidation but the may be thanks to the Missouri DOT and their salt. Have broken both door handles twice. Do not take to the dealer to fix them they charge $100's when you can buy and replace yourself for $40 and a couple of beers. Overall, great car. Great for tall people like myself. I have heard and witnessed shorter people not being able to check blind spots very well. No real complaints. But time for a new car. Great car for a high school kid's 1st car these days.

Thank goodness for mopar "Mo"!
By Jewels on 05/01/06 21:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Well, I actually just got into a serious accident with this car. Poor Mo (I always name my cars) was writen off when a lady hit me after failing to stop for a stop sign. The car is in rough shape! I walked away with literally only a bruise to speak of. The car saved me! I mean I loved this car, how could you not? This is one hot lookin' car! Even though it was eight years old I always had people stopping and asking me about my car, commenting on how the exhaust sounded or how the engine purred. Now begins the hunt to find another Avenger.

Good car, but some problems
By KatyW on 10/07/05 19:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

This is essentially a great car, except for two major problems. First, the door handles break off. BOTH of my handles broke within a year of having the car! I personally know two other people who have had this happen to them, and I see other Avengers on the road with messed up handles all the time. It's not a cheap problem to fix, either ($250/door without paint!). Which brings me to the second problem: the paint. Almost every black Avenger I see is oxidized like crazy - my entire trunk is now white, and the roof isn't far behind (even though I waxed it regularly and kept it in covered parking).

DODGE AVENGER SPORT. Love it.
By Guiness on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Terriffic car. And very Rare.

Reliable and fun to drive
By matt98 on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I had the 5 speed Inline 4 cyl engine. I never had any problems with the car, but only kept it for 3 years and 57,000 miles. Nice low aggressive stance that took turns at an aggressive speed.

I love my Avenger
By action on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I have had my Avenger for 2 years now, and love it. It's sporty and has pep!

98' Avenger review
By Rebecca Poynter on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Great car! Haven't had any problems, except for normal wear and tear(brakes, etc). It's fun to drive! I would recommend the car to a buyer.