Used 1998 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Dodge sucks! or atleast the avenger does
By dodgesuck

1998 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

This car is what made me decide to never buy a dodge again. I'm amazed if a month goes by and I don't have an expensive repair bill waiting for me. Cons: Steering problems are my biggest complaint- I had to replace front ball bearings after just 35,000 miles, lower control arms had to be replace on driver side, and now both front struts need to be replaced. Also it has a poor turning radius. The distributor cap and rotor needed replacing (car stopped starting). Rotors also warped on me, but I know that isn't dodges fault, just basic maintenance. Poor handling in snow, hard to see out of rear window, and I would go on but I'm running out of characters remaining. Owned for 2 years 20k miles

Car is not that common (I know why), and is actually a pretty good looking car.

Everything

Questions
By kdub

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

My door handle broke and I see almost everyone else's has too! Other than that the car really is awesome!

styling look!!! sound of stereo and exhaust

door handles and a little more power under the hood!

The truth...
By ptr1ck

1998 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car 2 years ago, it has been great. I now have almost 150,000 on the ticker and its still going strong. Could use some more power but overall its really not as bad as many want to say. I am about to purchase a BMW and am sad to see this car go. I have had some issue with the sun roof popping but I don't even want to mess with that.

Power Seats, 30mpg

More power, more cup holders

Great Diamond-Star
By johnho

1998 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

Original owner of a rare ES with 2.0L 5-speed. Had to wait six months just for the factory to build it!!! 140,000 salt-free miles and the paint looks great. Best of all I get 32MPG in mixed driving. Still love the interior cockpit layout and the clean yet aggressive exterior styling. I only wish today's Moper had something that could replace it if I wanted a new car. Other than the usual wear items,my only problem was a reoccurring hesitation issue at low RPMs starting around 90,000 miles;tried everything to fix it! The dealer tried to tell me I babied it too much and caused carbon build-up on the valves? Nope! Recently replaced the crank sensor and that seems to have taken care of it.

Overall design; still looks contemporary a decade later. 2 doors with reasonable room. Great gas mileage with the manual transmission. Fun to drive; corners like it's on rails. Awesome Infinity factory sound system! I used to call my car a $20,000 life support system for my stereo :-)

It's a well laid out car except for a few bad engineering/design features: it has a semi-like turning radius, in- our-lap "tilt" steering, poor cupholders, illuminated cigarette lighter but no illuminated ignition?, easily blown Infinity speakers, and pitted/peeling rims.

Expensive to repair
By LeoV

1998 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought mine used with 125000 miles on it, owned it for a year, the private party i bought it from didnt tell me that the water pump needed replacement@$700.00 (they have to lift the engine to replace it). Head gasket was gone, window buttons fell apart, clearcoat on paint peeled, front struts break, leaks oil everywhere, luckily i was able to trade it in for what i bought it for, ($1100.00).

Fun to drive, great handling.

interior can be much more comfortable, this car is a spin off of many other dodge/mitsubishi cars, eclips, sebring, just to name a couple. this one was thrown together without thought.