Used 1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

1997 Dodge Avenger 2 Dr Coupe 6 cyl 2.5
By "J"

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Wow I really like this car a lot. I bought it having 120,000 miles on it. Really no major problems. I had the water pump gasket begin to leak, but kinda difficult to get around under the hood. Should have small hands. Seeing behind you is kinda annoying, and turning ratio isn't great. Very powerful, and sleek, stylish. Gas mileage is OK. Radio system great. Little low in the front end. Plenty of space. Overall it does its job nicely.

Sleek style, and Mitsubishi motor!

Turning ratio, and maybe take some of the trunk space and allow for more backseat space.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By Devonne

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I have not had the best of luck with this car. I have had it for a year and a half and I have had to replace the ball joint, both axles (twice), speed censor, crank shaft, breaks, fan belt, battery (twice), lower left control arm, shocks, struts, starting coil, fuel pump, the over drive went out, and so did the cruse control. I drove it for 9 months without problems but once the speed sensor went out it has been down hill from there. My mpg have been really bad, I only got 15 mpg even after a new fuel filter, air filter, and pump.

Drove very well in ice and snow, had a lot of control. Also had a lot of get up and go.

Concerning the safety of the vehicle such as the ball joints, axles, tie rods, and control arm. They deemed my car unsafe to drive due to the tires might fall off while driving it was that bad.

Great car
By kay

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 98 when it had 3000 mi on it. It is currently 2008 and I now have 81000. This has been a great, reliable car! I can't say enough about the car. I have never had any mechanical issues and have always kept up with routine maintenance. The car is still peppy when accelerating, gets good gas mileage, and the exterior style turns heads. Not many of these cars around, but after 11 years, it still turns heads!

Exterior styling and similar nose to the head turning Viper. Runs great and handles well. Overall, fun to drive.

I have read reviews of the car that say you hear a lot of noise from the engine compartment while driving & I would have to agree. A better insulated firewall could prevent that. Remember you are driving a low car with a long nose & you will be just fine. If not, you will see and hear a reminder.

Fun to drive great on gas!
By Steve

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

Well I was lucky enough that this was my first car, I have the same one in the picture and it was the 2.0L 4 cylinder with automatic transmission. It was purchased for $4000. 2 weeks after purchasing it used the check engine light came on, then shortly after the car would not go into gear. Got it fixed, all they did is change the air and transmission filter. Set me back $97. 1 week after the repair the dodge avenger messed up again. This time the car didn't start because of an axle? Repair cost $1800. Overall the car is fun to drive, great on gas. I can spend $25 on gas and get any were from 250-300 miles on 1/2-3/4 tank of gas, or 7-9 gallons of the 12 gallon tank.

Easy to find parts both OEM and aftermarket to since it shares the same parts as its cousins of the 95-00 year model, like the Sebring, Talon and Eclipse.

Bad automatic transmissions. Both slipping, and shifting too low in gear when it should be shifting into high gear. Engine clearance would be a major plus, everything is so snug under the hood. Either breathers on the hood or better Intercooler, the engine runs hot.

Love my little red rocket
By Rhonda

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car after almost everyone I know warned me against buying a Dodge. All of them are at least somewhat impressed with the car, but not as much as I am. This car is fun! Aside from being a real head turner, the acceleration is great! The turning radius is a sad joke, but I can live with that. Who would have thought that my 10 year old beauty could still give me over 30mpg and raise eyebrows at the same time. The only mechanical items I have had to address in 5 years were routine maint. and ball joint failure on the passenger side. This was at least a recall item though and I hope to be reimbursed by Dodge shortly. She's a great car still!

Good looks, great gas mileage

Increased turning radius. 2nd cup holder. More headroom for entering/exiting.

• SUV