1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
What I think about this car.
By abcdef123 on 09/19/06 12:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

An amazing vehicle indeed. I can't really find anything that is horribly wrong with it to where I would complain. I would recommend this car to anyone.

The Mitsubishi Camaro
By JPRacer on 08/19/06 07:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

In the three years I have driven it, the Avenger is an overall excellent car. Exterior styling is second only to the Viper. Handling exceeds the power for a stiff, yet solidly comfortable ride. Interior space is engineered to the max for functionality and comfort with basic, well-placed controls and ample trunk space. The 163HP V-6 is brisk, yet not overpowering and has had no real problems at all for 80,000+ miles. Performs at the fun-to-drive level and accessories are pleasing. Fuel mileage is decent, but could be better. It's a unique auto and turns heads wherever I go. Definitely a great car if taken care of properly. I will keep mine as long as I can.

Swisher's review
By swishersplitter on 07/19/05 00:37 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This is a great car. Too bad the 6-cylinder didn't come in a stick, but the 2.0 liter DOHC 4 cylender is fun too. I heard some bad things about them, but I have loved mine and never had any major problems. You can mod the engine with Eclipse parts since Mitsubishi makes them both.

Looks good, but beware of repairs
By Dan on 05/02/05 13:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I have had my avenger for 2 years now and I have put over $3,000 into it (not including routine maintance. I've had 4 new struts, 2 control arms, 3 tires, 2 rims, front brakes, hole in exhaust, and new locks. Now the sunroof is broken, radio reception is terrible, leak near drivers door, and my interior lights and some warning lights (low gas) don't work. The tires and rims are very expensive to replace and a tune-up and timing belt will run $300 and $500. The turning radius is also terrible and the V6 engine sounds strained.

Been a real good car
By chuwig on 01/07/05 09:10 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car has been a really good, reliable car. Its sporty, fun to drive. For the most part, it's had normal maintenance. Only major exspense was a tie rod and strut, for about $650, at about 84,000 miles! The right door lock needs to be replaced, at about $150. Other than that, great car for a single person! Car seat friendly, big back seat. No room for a tall person! Especially in passenger side!! The front seats are very compact. Very exspensive tires!At about $150 a piece Goodyear only lasted about a year, finally went to Kumo at about $120 a piece. Still exspensive. A lot of engine noise, especially on highway when accelerating.

Avenger
By Somer24 on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I have had my Avenger for over 6 years now. It is an ES V6 and has been very reliable. I have only had 1 minor problem with it. The only thing that discourages me about this car is the tires. I have had the worst luck with tires splitting on this car. They are also VERY expensive. The turning ratio is horrible, but the car looks good and is fun to drive.

Nice looker
By Zach Smith on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

Overall it is a great car. It looks great and will still turn heads and get commented on. With the ES package, they come loaded. However, I have had alot of problems. I've put over $2,000 worth of work into it in less than a year and it needs another $500 or so not including routine procedures. The rims and tires are very expensive to replace and a tune-up costs $300+ due to the placement of the sparkplugs. The turning radius is horrible and the rear view is alittle obstructed. I would not drive anything else though.

1997 avenger
By charlieonefin on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I used to own one of these, found it annoying to have to own a set of jackstands and floor jack just to change the oil. It was fairly reliable, with the exception of the alternator, but all around it good vehicle, a nice mix of performance and economy. And yes, get your auto transmission filter changed every 15,000 miles.The Automatic used in these are weak and if not maintained on this cycle, can cause some serious headaches. I changed the filter on mine at this interval and had no problems after over 60,000 miles.

Mostly Mitsubishi
By bhoward on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

The Mitsubishi V6 has been dissed in these reviews but it is really a great engine. This one won't burn a qt between oil changes and will jump to 6000 rpm quick. The transmission is the weak link since it is made by Dodge. Change the trans fluid VERY often.

great car
By Douggie fresh on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

funnest and nicest lokking car i have ever driven