1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
We have been quite happy
By Jim91010 on 08/20/09 17:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This was the choice of my wife as it was to be her primary car. We have put 197,000 miles on it with no major problems. We recently replaced the front end struts.

1997 Dodge Avenger 2 Dr Coupe 6 cyl 2.5
By "J" on 11/06/08 08:25 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Wow I really like this car a lot. I bought it having 120,000 miles on it. Really no major problems. I had the water pump gasket begin to leak, but kinda difficult to get around under the hood. Should have small hands. Seeing behind you is kinda annoying, and turning ratio isn't great. Very powerful, and sleek, stylish. Gas mileage is OK. Radio system great. Little low in the front end. Plenty of space. Overall it does its job nicely.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By Devonne on 10/03/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I have not had the best of luck with this car. I have had it for a year and a half and I have had to replace the ball joint, both axles (twice), speed censor, crank shaft, breaks, fan belt, battery (twice), lower left control arm, shocks, struts, starting coil, fuel pump, the over drive went out, and so did the cruse control. I drove it for 9 months without problems but once the speed sensor went out it has been down hill from there. My mpg have been really bad, I only got 15 mpg even after a new fuel filter, air filter, and pump.

Great car
By kay on 02/25/08 16:11 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 98 when it had 3000 mi on it. It is currently 2008 and I now have 81000. This has been a great, reliable car! I can't say enough about the car. I have never had any mechanical issues and have always kept up with routine maintenance. The car is still peppy when accelerating, gets good gas mileage, and the exterior style turns heads. Not many of these cars around, but after 11 years, it still turns heads!

What I think about this car.
By abcdef123 on 09/19/06 12:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

An amazing vehicle indeed. I can't really find anything that is horribly wrong with it to where I would complain. I would recommend this car to anyone.

The Mitsubishi Camaro
By JPRacer on 08/19/06 07:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

In the three years I have driven it, the Avenger is an overall excellent car. Exterior styling is second only to the Viper. Handling exceeds the power for a stiff, yet solidly comfortable ride. Interior space is engineered to the max for functionality and comfort with basic, well-placed controls and ample trunk space. The 163HP V-6 is brisk, yet not overpowering and has had no real problems at all for 80,000+ miles. Performs at the fun-to-drive level and accessories are pleasing. Fuel mileage is decent, but could be better. It's a unique auto and turns heads wherever I go. Definitely a great car if taken care of properly. I will keep mine as long as I can.

Swisher's review
By swishersplitter on 07/19/05 00:37 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This is a great car. Too bad the 6-cylinder didn't come in a stick, but the 2.0 liter DOHC 4 cylender is fun too. I heard some bad things about them, but I have loved mine and never had any major problems. You can mod the engine with Eclipse parts since Mitsubishi makes them both.

Looks good, but beware of repairs
By Dan on 05/02/05 13:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I have had my avenger for 2 years now and I have put over $3,000 into it (not including routine maintance. I've had 4 new struts, 2 control arms, 3 tires, 2 rims, front brakes, hole in exhaust, and new locks. Now the sunroof is broken, radio reception is terrible, leak near drivers door, and my interior lights and some warning lights (low gas) don't work. The tires and rims are very expensive to replace and a tune-up and timing belt will run $300 and $500. The turning radius is also terrible and the V6 engine sounds strained.

Been a real good car
By chuwig on 01/07/05 09:10 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car has been a really good, reliable car. Its sporty, fun to drive. For the most part, it's had normal maintenance. Only major exspense was a tie rod and strut, for about $650, at about 84,000 miles! The right door lock needs to be replaced, at about $150. Other than that, great car for a single person! Car seat friendly, big back seat. No room for a tall person! Especially in passenger side!! The front seats are very compact. Very exspensive tires!At about $150 a piece Goodyear only lasted about a year, finally went to Kumo at about $120 a piece. Still exspensive. A lot of engine noise, especially on highway when accelerating.

Avenger
By Somer24 on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I have had my Avenger for over 6 years now. It is an ES V6 and has been very reliable. I have only had 1 minor problem with it. The only thing that discourages me about this car is the tires. I have had the worst luck with tires splitting on this car. They are also VERY expensive. The turning ratio is horrible, but the car looks good and is fun to drive.