1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
Dodge exclusive. None other like it. Increasing the fleet.
By pepteye on 06/21/13 21:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

A Dodge boy needed a commuter. OK Mitsubishi in Wolves clothing. That said it is a unique offering. 4000 lbs and 30+ MPG is a good compromise. When I'm making my commute for 50 miles each way over a 1800 foot pass in the silicone valley I feel good. Take care of the timing belt it will cost you if it breaks. Best Dodge commuter until the new Challenger gets 30MPG. and you have 30K to spare.......Have one for the daughter and will likely win up with 4. CAME BACK A KILLER WENT OUT A WINNER...Thanks Brad....

still enjoyable
By Steve on 11/20/09 14:14 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger new in 1997 with the 5 speed and 4 cyl. It's been amazingly reliable over the years with the only real issue with the tie rods/ball joints. It still has the original stainless steel exhaust/muffler! It still gets 32-34 miles per gallon. The 5 speed makes it fun to drive, although more horsepower and better brakes have made it even better. Even taught 2 kids how to drive stick with it (one of them learned while driving on the track at Road America) and still have the original clutch. Indy red color and best year for fron end fascia make it an eye appealing car even today.

This car is charming but flawed
By wings on 09/29/09 08:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

This was my first car. Much like a first love it holds a special place in my heart. The car looks beautiful and the engine still runs smooth at 138,000 miles BUT I have brought it to my mechanic so many times that we could be best friends. The ball-joints, the tie rods, the struts have all been replaced. The struts are bad again after an additional 25,000 miles. Now, the transmission took a dump and it looks like my car has skin cancer. The car is charming yes, but after you get married to it, it will soon become lazy and consistently start to break in little annoying increments until you will want a divorce. If you are a risk taker, go for it, but you might get burned. other fish in the sea

We have been quite happy
By Jim91010 on 08/20/09 17:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This was the choice of my wife as it was to be her primary car. We have put 197,000 miles on it with no major problems. We recently replaced the front end struts.

My thoughts about my base model
By c on 11/26/08 18:41 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have had my 97 4-banger stick as the original owner with only 17 miles on it when delivered to our dealer. I have gotten 500 miles to a single tank 4 times. Mine is not governed so I have had it up to 131 flat straight away in Germany and 136 downhill there. This car is fun to drive and has a huge trunk. And at 159,634 miles still going strong

1997 Dodge Avenger 2 Dr Coupe 6 cyl 2.5
By "J" on 11/06/08 08:25 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Wow I really like this car a lot. I bought it having 120,000 miles on it. Really no major problems. I had the water pump gasket begin to leak, but kinda difficult to get around under the hood. Should have small hands. Seeing behind you is kinda annoying, and turning ratio isn't great. Very powerful, and sleek, stylish. Gas mileage is OK. Radio system great. Little low in the front end. Plenty of space. Overall it does its job nicely.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By Devonne on 10/03/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I have not had the best of luck with this car. I have had it for a year and a half and I have had to replace the ball joint, both axles (twice), speed censor, crank shaft, breaks, fan belt, battery (twice), lower left control arm, shocks, struts, starting coil, fuel pump, the over drive went out, and so did the cruse control. I drove it for 9 months without problems but once the speed sensor went out it has been down hill from there. My mpg have been really bad, I only got 15 mpg even after a new fuel filter, air filter, and pump.

Great car
By kay on 02/25/08 16:11 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 98 when it had 3000 mi on it. It is currently 2008 and I now have 81000. This has been a great, reliable car! I can't say enough about the car. I have never had any mechanical issues and have always kept up with routine maintenance. The car is still peppy when accelerating, gets good gas mileage, and the exterior style turns heads. Not many of these cars around, but after 11 years, it still turns heads!

Fun to drive great on gas!
By Steve on 08/26/07 07:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

Well I was lucky enough that this was my first car, I have the same one in the picture and it was the 2.0L 4 cylinder with automatic transmission. It was purchased for $4000. 2 weeks after purchasing it used the check engine light came on, then shortly after the car would not go into gear. Got it fixed, all they did is change the air and transmission filter. Set me back $97. 1 week after the repair the dodge avenger messed up again. This time the car didn't start because of an axle? Repair cost $1800. Overall the car is fun to drive, great on gas. I can spend $25 on gas and get any were from 250-300 miles on 1/2-3/4 tank of gas, or 7-9 gallons of the 12 gallon tank.

Love my little red rocket
By Rhonda on 01/15/07 16:18 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car after almost everyone I know warned me against buying a Dodge. All of them are at least somewhat impressed with the car, but not as much as I am. This car is fun! Aside from being a real head turner, the acceleration is great! The turning radius is a sad joke, but I can live with that. Who would have thought that my 10 year old beauty could still give me over 30mpg and raise eyebrows at the same time. The only mechanical items I have had to address in 5 years were routine maint. and ball joint failure on the passenger side. This was at least a recall item though and I hope to be reimbursed by Dodge shortly. She's a great car still!