Used 1997 Dodge Avenger ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

We have been quite happy
By Jim91010

1997 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

This was the choice of my wife as it was to be her primary car. We have put 197,000 miles on it with no major problems. We recently replaced the front end struts.

Styling

The turning radius could use improvement.

1997 Dodge Avenger 2 Dr Coupe 6 cyl 2.5
By "J"

1997 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

Wow I really like this car a lot. I bought it having 120,000 miles on it. Really no major problems. I had the water pump gasket begin to leak, but kinda difficult to get around under the hood. Should have small hands. Seeing behind you is kinda annoying, and turning ratio isn't great. Very powerful, and sleek, stylish. Gas mileage is OK. Radio system great. Little low in the front end. Plenty of space. Overall it does its job nicely.

Sleek style, and Mitsubishi motor!

Turning ratio, and maybe take some of the trunk space and allow for more backseat space.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By Devonne

1997 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I have not had the best of luck with this car. I have had it for a year and a half and I have had to replace the ball joint, both axles (twice), speed censor, crank shaft, breaks, fan belt, battery (twice), lower left control arm, shocks, struts, starting coil, fuel pump, the over drive went out, and so did the cruse control. I drove it for 9 months without problems but once the speed sensor went out it has been down hill from there. My mpg have been really bad, I only got 15 mpg even after a new fuel filter, air filter, and pump.

Drove very well in ice and snow, had a lot of control. Also had a lot of get up and go.

Concerning the safety of the vehicle such as the ball joints, axles, tie rods, and control arm. They deemed my car unsafe to drive due to the tires might fall off while driving it was that bad.

Great car
By kay

1997 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 98 when it had 3000 mi on it. It is currently 2008 and I now have 81000. This has been a great, reliable car! I can't say enough about the car. I have never had any mechanical issues and have always kept up with routine maintenance. The car is still peppy when accelerating, gets good gas mileage, and the exterior style turns heads. Not many of these cars around, but after 11 years, it still turns heads!

Exterior styling and similar nose to the head turning Viper. Runs great and handles well. Overall, fun to drive.

I have read reviews of the car that say you hear a lot of noise from the engine compartment while driving & I would have to agree. A better insulated firewall could prevent that. Remember you are driving a low car with a long nose & you will be just fine. If not, you will see and hear a reminder.

What I think about this car.
By abcdef123

1997 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

An amazing vehicle indeed. I can't really find anything that is horribly wrong with it to where I would complain. I would recommend this car to anyone.

I love pretty much everything about this car. It's roomy, comfortable, gets excellent gas mileage, isreliable, and sporty. Just an amazing car.

The tinting on my back window makes it difficult to see out. Also the back is raised higher than the front slightly making it difficult to get the full view. Watch out when backing up.