1997 Dodge Avenger Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

1997 Avenger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Sort Reviews by

Dodge exclusive. None other like it. Increasing the fleet.
By pepteye

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

A Dodge boy needed a commuter. OK Mitsubishi in Wolves clothing. That said it is a unique offering. 4000 lbs and 30+ MPG is a good compromise. When I'm making my commute for 50 miles each way over a 1800 foot pass in the silicone valley I feel good. Take care of the timing belt it will cost you if it breaks. Best Dodge commuter until the new Challenger gets 30MPG. and you have 30K to spare.......Have one for the daughter and will likely win up with 4. CAME BACK A KILLER WENT OUT A WINNER...Thanks Brad....

Favorite Features

The clutch is easy. Have daught two Kids to drive it no time...

Suggested Improvements

Parts at pick n pull are available as it is a Galant and shares interior with the Mirage.

still enjoyable
By Steve

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger new in 1997 with the 5 speed and 4 cyl. It's been amazingly reliable over the years with the only real issue with the tie rods/ball joints. It still has the original stainless steel exhaust/muffler! It still gets 32-34 miles per gallon. The 5 speed makes it fun to drive, although more horsepower and better brakes have made it even better. Even taught 2 kids how to drive stick with it (one of them learned while driving on the track at Road America) and still have the original clutch. Indy red color and best year for fron end fascia make it an eye appealing car even today.

Favorite Features

great looks, reliable, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

horrible turning radius, more power, better brakes, original RS-A tires burned off after 25k.

This car is charming but flawed
By wings

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

This was my first car. Much like a first love it holds a special place in my heart. The car looks beautiful and the engine still runs smooth at 138,000 miles BUT I have brought it to my mechanic so many times that we could be best friends. The ball-joints, the tie rods, the struts have all been replaced. The struts are bad again after an additional 25,000 miles. Now, the transmission took a dump and it looks like my car has skin cancer. The car is charming yes, but after you get married to it, it will soon become lazy and consistently start to break in little annoying increments until you will want a divorce. If you are a risk taker, go for it, but you might get burned. other fish in the sea

Favorite Features

Looks, decent gas economy, fun to drive BUT if you are car shopping, remember there are other fish in the sea

Suggested Improvements

no more failing transmissions and short-term paint. the underbody is not solid, it falls apart

My thoughts about my base model
By c

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I have had my 97 4-banger stick as the original owner with only 17 miles on it when delivered to our dealer. I have gotten 500 miles to a single tank 4 times. Mine is not governed so I have had it up to 131 flat straight away in Germany and 136 downhill there. This car is fun to drive and has a huge trunk. And at 159,634 miles still going strong

Favorite Features

Exterior styling. Sounds funny, but thick steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

They put them all including styling in the 2 dr Stratus

Fun to drive great on gas!
By Steve

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Well I was lucky enough that this was my first car, I have the same one in the picture and it was the 2.0L 4 cylinder with automatic transmission. It was purchased for $4000. 2 weeks after purchasing it used the check engine light came on, then shortly after the car would not go into gear. Got it fixed, all they did is change the air and transmission filter. Set me back $97. 1 week after the repair the dodge avenger messed up again. This time the car didn't start because of an axle? Repair cost $1800. Overall the car is fun to drive, great on gas. I can spend $25 on gas and get any were from 250-300 miles on 1/2-3/4 tank of gas, or 7-9 gallons of the 12 gallon tank.

Favorite Features

Easy to find parts both OEM and aftermarket to since it shares the same parts as its cousins of the 95-00 year model, like the Sebring, Talon and Eclipse.

Suggested Improvements

Bad automatic transmissions. Both slipping, and shifting too low in gear when it should be shifting into high gear. Engine clearance would be a major plus, everything is so snug under the hood. Either breathers on the hood or better Intercooler, the engine runs hot.

Love my little red rocket
By Rhonda

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought this car after almost everyone I know warned me against buying a Dodge. All of them are at least somewhat impressed with the car, but not as much as I am. This car is fun! Aside from being a real head turner, the acceleration is great! The turning radius is a sad joke, but I can live with that. Who would have thought that my 10 year old beauty could still give me over 30mpg and raise eyebrows at the same time. The only mechanical items I have had to address in 5 years were routine maint. and ball joint failure on the passenger side. This was at least a recall item though and I hope to be reimbursed by Dodge shortly. She's a great car still!

Favorite Features

Good looks, great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Increased turning radius. 2nd cup holder. More headroom for entering/exiting.

Nice looker
By Zach Smith

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Overall it is a great car. It looks great and will still turn heads and get commented on. With the ES package, they come loaded. However, I have had alot of problems. I've put over $2,000 worth of work into it in less than a year and it needs another $500 or so not including routine procedures. The rims and tires are very expensive to replace and a tune-up costs $300+ due to the placement of the sparkplugs. The turning radius is horrible and the rear view is alittle obstructed. I would not drive anything else though.

Favorite Features

Outside styling with the 17' rims, sound system, interior layout, sunroof, and it gets good gas mileage and has ok acceleration with the 2.5L V6.

Suggested Improvements

Discontinued; but the turning radius is terrible, expensive parts, lack of horsepower, excessive road noise.

1997 avenger
By charlieonefin

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I used to own one of these, found it annoying to have to own a set of jackstands and floor jack just to change the oil. It was fairly reliable, with the exception of the alternator, but all around it good vehicle, a nice mix of performance and economy. And yes, get your auto transmission filter changed every 15,000 miles.The Automatic used in these are weak and if not maintained on this cycle, can cause some serious headaches. I changed the filter on mine at this interval and had no problems after over 60,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Leg room.

The Poor Man's Viper
By OakleyJohn

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

This is a wonderful car. I bought it with 73,000 miles on it. I have at it for over 6 months now and it is a great car. The Avenger seems to get a bad rap, only because there were some major flaws in the ES V6, but the STD 4 CYL runs great. Turning ratio is a bit annoying, but hey a small price to pay for such a low maintainence car that packs a wallop! Overall the Avenger is a great car, if you buy the STD 4 CYL.

Favorite Features

Mixed enginering of Mitsubishi and Dodge makes for a great combo.

Suggested Improvements

Turning Ratio...Horsepower.

Great Affordable Car
By Slonestar2000

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger in September of 1999 and I've had only a few maintenance difficulties with it but nothing that I couldn't repair myself. This car is amazingly low maintenance, and stylish yet still affordable.

Favorite Features

I love my moonroof and the stereo system, and the fact that it's a Dodge/Mitsubishi hybrid makes parts availability a sure winner.

Suggested Improvements

Bring Back the Production line!!!!