1997 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
Dodge exclusive. None other like it. Increasing the fleet.
By pepteye on 06/21/13 21:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

A Dodge boy needed a commuter. OK Mitsubishi in Wolves clothing. That said it is a unique offering. 4000 lbs and 30+ MPG is a good compromise. When I'm making my commute for 50 miles each way over a 1800 foot pass in the silicone valley I feel good. Take care of the timing belt it will cost you if it breaks. Best Dodge commuter until the new Challenger gets 30MPG. and you have 30K to spare.......Have one for the daughter and will likely win up with 4. CAME BACK A KILLER WENT OUT A WINNER...Thanks Brad....

still enjoyable
By Steve on 11/20/09 14:14 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger new in 1997 with the 5 speed and 4 cyl. It's been amazingly reliable over the years with the only real issue with the tie rods/ball joints. It still has the original stainless steel exhaust/muffler! It still gets 32-34 miles per gallon. The 5 speed makes it fun to drive, although more horsepower and better brakes have made it even better. Even taught 2 kids how to drive stick with it (one of them learned while driving on the track at Road America) and still have the original clutch. Indy red color and best year for fron end fascia make it an eye appealing car even today.

This car is charming but flawed
By wings on 09/29/09 08:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

This was my first car. Much like a first love it holds a special place in my heart. The car looks beautiful and the engine still runs smooth at 138,000 miles BUT I have brought it to my mechanic so many times that we could be best friends. The ball-joints, the tie rods, the struts have all been replaced. The struts are bad again after an additional 25,000 miles. Now, the transmission took a dump and it looks like my car has skin cancer. The car is charming yes, but after you get married to it, it will soon become lazy and consistently start to break in little annoying increments until you will want a divorce. If you are a risk taker, go for it, but you might get burned. other fish in the sea

My thoughts about my base model
By c on 11/26/08 18:41 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I have had my 97 4-banger stick as the original owner with only 17 miles on it when delivered to our dealer. I have gotten 500 miles to a single tank 4 times. Mine is not governed so I have had it up to 131 flat straight away in Germany and 136 downhill there. This car is fun to drive and has a huge trunk. And at 159,634 miles still going strong

Fun to drive great on gas!
By Steve on 08/26/07 07:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Well I was lucky enough that this was my first car, I have the same one in the picture and it was the 2.0L 4 cylinder with automatic transmission. It was purchased for $4000. 2 weeks after purchasing it used the check engine light came on, then shortly after the car would not go into gear. Got it fixed, all they did is change the air and transmission filter. Set me back $97. 1 week after the repair the dodge avenger messed up again. This time the car didn't start because of an axle? Repair cost $1800. Overall the car is fun to drive, great on gas. I can spend $25 on gas and get any were from 250-300 miles on 1/2-3/4 tank of gas, or 7-9 gallons of the 12 gallon tank.

Love my little red rocket
By Rhonda on 01/15/07 16:18 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought this car after almost everyone I know warned me against buying a Dodge. All of them are at least somewhat impressed with the car, but not as much as I am. This car is fun! Aside from being a real head turner, the acceleration is great! The turning radius is a sad joke, but I can live with that. Who would have thought that my 10 year old beauty could still give me over 30mpg and raise eyebrows at the same time. The only mechanical items I have had to address in 5 years were routine maint. and ball joint failure on the passenger side. This was at least a recall item though and I hope to be reimbursed by Dodge shortly. She's a great car still!

Nice looker
By Zach Smith on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Overall it is a great car. It looks great and will still turn heads and get commented on. With the ES package, they come loaded. However, I have had alot of problems. I've put over $2,000 worth of work into it in less than a year and it needs another $500 or so not including routine procedures. The rims and tires are very expensive to replace and a tune-up costs $300+ due to the placement of the sparkplugs. The turning radius is horrible and the rear view is alittle obstructed. I would not drive anything else though.

1997 avenger
By charlieonefin on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I used to own one of these, found it annoying to have to own a set of jackstands and floor jack just to change the oil. It was fairly reliable, with the exception of the alternator, but all around it good vehicle, a nice mix of performance and economy. And yes, get your auto transmission filter changed every 15,000 miles.The Automatic used in these are weak and if not maintained on this cycle, can cause some serious headaches. I changed the filter on mine at this interval and had no problems after over 60,000 miles.

The Poor Man's Viper
By OakleyJohn on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

This is a wonderful car. I bought it with 73,000 miles on it. I have at it for over 6 months now and it is a great car. The Avenger seems to get a bad rap, only because there were some major flaws in the ES V6, but the STD 4 CYL runs great. Turning ratio is a bit annoying, but hey a small price to pay for such a low maintainence car that packs a wallop! Overall the Avenger is a great car, if you buy the STD 4 CYL.

Love this car!!
By darkangel on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

people always ask me why did I buy an avenger? the ratings are so bad. that's only because people by the V6's. My four banger's pushin' hard and I'm loving every minute of it. the bigest problem I've had was a broken power steering belt ($26 replacement wow..) kinda hard to work on the headlights, but oh well, I won't be changing them for a while.