Used 1997 Dodge Avenger Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Dodge exclusive. None other like it. Increasing the fleet.
By pepteye

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

A Dodge boy needed a commuter. OK Mitsubishi in Wolves clothing. That said it is a unique offering. 4000 lbs and 30+ MPG is a good compromise. When I'm making my commute for 50 miles each way over a 1800 foot pass in the silicone valley I feel good. Take care of the timing belt it will cost you if it breaks. Best Dodge commuter until the new Challenger gets 30MPG. and you have 30K to spare.......Have one for the daughter and will likely win up with 4. CAME BACK A KILLER WENT OUT A WINNER...Thanks Brad....

The clutch is easy. Have daught two Kids to drive it no time...

Parts at pick n pull are available as it is a Galant and shares interior with the Mirage.

still enjoyable
By Steve

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger new in 1997 with the 5 speed and 4 cyl. It's been amazingly reliable over the years with the only real issue with the tie rods/ball joints. It still has the original stainless steel exhaust/muffler! It still gets 32-34 miles per gallon. The 5 speed makes it fun to drive, although more horsepower and better brakes have made it even better. Even taught 2 kids how to drive stick with it (one of them learned while driving on the track at Road America) and still have the original clutch. Indy red color and best year for fron end fascia make it an eye appealing car even today.

great looks, reliable, fun to drive

horrible turning radius, more power, better brakes, original RS-A tires burned off after 25k.

This car is charming but flawed
By wings

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

This was my first car. Much like a first love it holds a special place in my heart. The car looks beautiful and the engine still runs smooth at 138,000 miles BUT I have brought it to my mechanic so many times that we could be best friends. The ball-joints, the tie rods, the struts have all been replaced. The struts are bad again after an additional 25,000 miles. Now, the transmission took a dump and it looks like my car has skin cancer. The car is charming yes, but after you get married to it, it will soon become lazy and consistently start to break in little annoying increments until you will want a divorce. If you are a risk taker, go for it, but you might get burned. other fish in the sea

Looks, decent gas economy, fun to drive BUT if you are car shopping, remember there are other fish in the sea

no more failing transmissions and short-term paint. the underbody is not solid, it falls apart

My thoughts about my base model
By c

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I have had my 97 4-banger stick as the original owner with only 17 miles on it when delivered to our dealer. I have gotten 500 miles to a single tank 4 times. Mine is not governed so I have had it up to 131 flat straight away in Germany and 136 downhill there. This car is fun to drive and has a huge trunk. And at 159,634 miles still going strong

Exterior styling. Sounds funny, but thick steering wheel

They put them all including styling in the 2 dr Stratus

Fun to drive great on gas!
By Steve

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Well I was lucky enough that this was my first car, I have the same one in the picture and it was the 2.0L 4 cylinder with automatic transmission. It was purchased for $4000. 2 weeks after purchasing it used the check engine light came on, then shortly after the car would not go into gear. Got it fixed, all they did is change the air and transmission filter. Set me back $97. 1 week after the repair the dodge avenger messed up again. This time the car didn't start because of an axle? Repair cost $1800. Overall the car is fun to drive, great on gas. I can spend $25 on gas and get any were from 250-300 miles on 1/2-3/4 tank of gas, or 7-9 gallons of the 12 gallon tank.

Easy to find parts both OEM and aftermarket to since it shares the same parts as its cousins of the 95-00 year model, like the Sebring, Talon and Eclipse.

Bad automatic transmissions. Both slipping, and shifting too low in gear when it should be shifting into high gear. Engine clearance would be a major plus, everything is so snug under the hood. Either breathers on the hood or better Intercooler, the engine runs hot.