Used 1997 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Avenger

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Dodge exclusive. None other like it. Increasing the fleet.
By pepteye

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

A Dodge boy needed a commuter. OK Mitsubishi in Wolves clothing. That said it is a unique offering. 4000 lbs and 30+ MPG is a good compromise. When I'm making my commute for 50 miles each way over a 1800 foot pass in the silicone valley I feel good. Take care of the timing belt it will cost you if it breaks. Best Dodge commuter until the new Challenger gets 30MPG. and you have 30K to spare.......Have one for the daughter and will likely win up with 4. CAME BACK A KILLER WENT OUT A WINNER...Thanks Brad....

Favorite Features

The clutch is easy. Have daught two Kids to drive it no time...

Suggested Improvements

Parts at pick n pull are available as it is a Galant and shares interior with the Mirage.

still enjoyable
By Steve

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger new in 1997 with the 5 speed and 4 cyl. It's been amazingly reliable over the years with the only real issue with the tie rods/ball joints. It still has the original stainless steel exhaust/muffler! It still gets 32-34 miles per gallon. The 5 speed makes it fun to drive, although more horsepower and better brakes have made it even better. Even taught 2 kids how to drive stick with it (one of them learned while driving on the track at Road America) and still have the original clutch. Indy red color and best year for fron end fascia make it an eye appealing car even today.

Favorite Features

great looks, reliable, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

horrible turning radius, more power, better brakes, original RS-A tires burned off after 25k.

This car is charming but flawed
By wings

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

This was my first car. Much like a first love it holds a special place in my heart. The car looks beautiful and the engine still runs smooth at 138,000 miles BUT I have brought it to my mechanic so many times that we could be best friends. The ball-joints, the tie rods, the struts have all been replaced. The struts are bad again after an additional 25,000 miles. Now, the transmission took a dump and it looks like my car has skin cancer. The car is charming yes, but after you get married to it, it will soon become lazy and consistently start to break in little annoying increments until you will want a divorce. If you are a risk taker, go for it, but you might get burned. other fish in the sea

Favorite Features

Looks, decent gas economy, fun to drive BUT if you are car shopping, remember there are other fish in the sea

Suggested Improvements

no more failing transmissions and short-term paint. the underbody is not solid, it falls apart

We have been quite happy
By Jim91010

1997 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

This was the choice of my wife as it was to be her primary car. We have put 197,000 miles on it with no major problems. We recently replaced the front end struts.

Favorite Features

Styling

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius could use improvement.

My thoughts about my base model
By c

1997 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I have had my 97 4-banger stick as the original owner with only 17 miles on it when delivered to our dealer. I have gotten 500 miles to a single tank 4 times. Mine is not governed so I have had it up to 131 flat straight away in Germany and 136 downhill there. This car is fun to drive and has a huge trunk. And at 159,634 miles still going strong

Favorite Features

Exterior styling. Sounds funny, but thick steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

They put them all including styling in the 2 dr Stratus