1996 Dodge Avenger Consumer Review: 13 years of love.

1996 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Review

13 years of love.
By Mark on

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new Dec, 95 at the age of 21, and am about to trade it in (180k miles) this month for a used minivan for the wife and 2 kids. I LOVE this car. Being an irresponsible 21 y/o, I punished this vehicle (top @135 mph, hard redlines, etc) and haven't maintained it like i should recently. Therefore some things are my fault. Problems: transmission rebuilt @ ~80k miles - currently slips & leaks, oil leaks, blown radiator hose, bad right front shock (my fault), bad driver window track (won't roll up), O2 sensor, visor lights, emergency brake cord stretched & catches, stereo power glitches, blown front speaker (my fault), paint on spoiler faded. Not a lot if you considering its history.

The looks are killer, even for a 13 y/o car. The handling & sportiness is just great. This car is fun to drive, still even now. Good room in rear seats and decent visibility in mirrors (just barely though in rear mirror) for a sports coupe. I will miss this car when I sell it.

Put a fender guard under the car. EVERY Avenger I've seen has the front end scraped up from curbs or parking blocks. PLEASE make more reliable transmissions. Some parts on the inside are easily broken (visor hook, driver seat recline lever). Visor lights expensive to replace. AC not cool enough.