Used 1996 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

A fine first car
By jmoy

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

The Avenger was my first car out of college, and it's still going at 140,000 miles (9yrs.). It corners nimbly, and possesses great sport styling. Its athletic veneer, however, belies its pedestrian engine performance; It's pretty slow from 0- 60. unless you're drag racing, It boasts sufficient passing power on freeways. The tranny has given me fits: I replaced it at 95K and am starting to have problems again at 140K. I also replaced the water pump once and all the 02 sensors twice now. Overall, however, it's been a fairly decent car. I think it can last another year plus.

Favorite Features

Sleek & aggressive body styling, great handling, respectable gas mileage for a heavy sports car, insurance rates are decent for this car too

Suggested Improvements

Annoyingly large turning diameter, unreliable transmission, entry- performance tires are expensive to replace

Reliable...but falling apart
By David James C

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

The Avenger was the pick for my ex - and I got stuck with it, while she took the new RAV 4. Smart. The Avenger is reliable, always starting, but acceleration and performance seems to decrease year after year. I put oversided fat tires on it, and it looks and handles very well . The seating is very uncomfortable and the electric fore/aft died, but the cabin still looks good. CD function died, but the premium sound system is still good. The tranny seems to be going now. Front end was replaced by the previous owner. A/C died, holds vacuum, but cannot find leak after recharging three times. The next day it's dead. See a trend here? Time to sell it while it still looks good.

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior styling, mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Weak engine, weak tranny. Wide turning radius. Weak CD player. Bad cup holders. Uncomfortable seats, low overhanging bumpers scrape the ground, and are expensive to repair.

Owned this car for nearly 10 years
By ChipM

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in 1995 and have been the only owner. I've had an overall excellent experience with this car. I've had to replace some belts, hoses, power steering pulley twice, battery, radiator, thermostat twice, and radio (once under warranty). All things I would expect to replace within a 10-year span on any car. I have no regrets about buying this car. It's been very good to me.

Favorite Features

Styling, interior space, ergonomics, comfort, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is HUGE, and the car has tendency to hit front and rear when entering steep inclines. It's very low to the ground. Add another cupholder to the front seat, and find a different place for the radio controls - shift gets in the way.

Still Avengin
By Still_Avengin

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

My high school graduation present has never let me down. I fell in love with the car the first time I saw it and had to have it. It has over 150,000 miles now and it is still running strong. Never any major problems, only typical wear and tear. Almost traded it in 3 times, but decided to keep it last minute. Took a chance with an American car and got lucky!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, styling, interior design

Suggested Improvements

brakes, turning radius, transmission

Best buy on the market
By eastcoast604

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

For what you pay, buying one used, it is the best vehicle on the market. Fun to drive, but expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Smooth turning, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Accelaration is a bit girky, and the vehicle is hard to get in and out of.