1996 Dodge Avenger Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

1996 Avenger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Sort Reviews by

Fun to Drive
By Tedster

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car is the most comfortable I have driven ever. It's interior is well designed wit all the amenities for a non-luxury model. It's handling and aerodynimic design is superb. I am almost always stop by people and comment about it's sleek and sophisticated appearance. I am very content with my Dodge Avenger. The next car that can replace this beauty is a 430 lexus, 330 Mercedez Benz or 720i BMW. The main idea for this car is to keep it very clean and detailed at all times. This car is definitely a keeper.

Favorite Features

It's interior is well designed, handling and aerodynamic designed is superb. sun roof, powerwindows, leather seats with udjustable headrests, good heating system. Cooling system is OK, but can be improved on for better performance. I like the spoiler on the car.

Suggested Improvements

The passenger seat should have power seats as well for the ES Model. Definitely improve the interior lighting. Increase leg room for the backseats. Also improve it's exterior lighting with new technology lighting. Improve air-vent distribution.Improve AC system.

Don't give Chrysler any more money
By hannabach

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car is not for the faint of wallet. I've spent appx. $3000 annually during the last three years of owning this car. I've replaced the transmission, all four O2 sensors, ignition wires, spark plugs ($70 each time), and many other major repairs. I have friends who joke about my Check Engine light. I realize not every car is a lemon, but I believe buying this model is risky for anyone. Now who wants to buy mine?

Favorite Features

Cornering ability.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.

Good car but looking for a new one
By DODGE, here it comes

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used two years ago and have had to put a lot of money into it since then. However, the car could have been wrecked for all I know. I do love my car but I have had the check engine light come on and off for the past year. That has caused me to replace all plugs, 2 o2 sensors, and serveral other things. If the car did come out again I would look at buying but only if it had a 100,000 mile warranty. Only AM radio works, unless it's the perfect temp outside and I'm driving a certain speed. Other than that I have never listened to the FM radio...oh and my alarm has never worked.

Favorite Features

Style

Suggested Improvements

Better quality of materials inside and out

My baby!!!!
By Southsyde4eva

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger a little over a year ago and I haven't stopped loving her yet! I have kept regular maintenance on her and the only repair I've had to do was to replace the alternator and a/c belts. If they were to bring back the Avenger I might consider trading mine in for a new one but other than that---I wouldn't give her up for anything!!!

Favorite Features

sunroof, audio system, trunk space, styling

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that the cup holders are a little awkward. I wish they would bring back the Avenger!

Good Quality First Car
By sbrown

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This was the very first car i bought myself and i love it. i have had the car for three years and its never once been in the shop. It still runs perfect.

Favorite Features

The sunroof and large trunk

Suggested Improvements

nothing

ash
By ashlee

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car has been a great car, very fun to drive, very comfortable, good stereo, looks good overall. The only complaint i have is that when something goes wrong it cost a lot to fix because how they put the engine together.

Favorite Features

Power windows and locks, stereo and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Just that it had been put together better under the hood cuz it is really hard to get to anything.

NEEDS A TURBO
By MARCUS

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

CAR IS SO FREAKIN COOL. SWEET STYLE AND HANDELS PERFECT. HAVE HAD NO MAJOR PROBLEMS, BUT THE NORMAL. I THINK THE CAR NEEDS A TURBO ON THE 420A ENGINE LIKE THE ECLIPSE THAT IT SHARES IT PLATFORM WITH. THE CAR LOOKS FAST BUT IS MISSING THE POWER(4CYL) THAT IT SHOULD HAVE. IT WILL COMPETE WITH THE RICERS WITCH I LOVE. THE CAR IS STARTING TO GET AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE WITCH IS EVEN BETTER.

Favorite Features

DESIGN, COMFORT, HANDELING AT HIGH SPEEDS, EYE CATCHER, AND HOW IT LOOKS IN BLACK WITH DARK TINT WINDOWS.

Suggested Improvements

TURBO I MEAN HUGE TURBO. SMALL TURN RADIUS FOR SURE, CHANGE OUT THE ROTORS FOR THE WARPING THING.

NEEDS A TURBO
By marcus

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

i hate my avenger
By britt01

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I have had nothing but major problems with this car. I would not recommend buying it.

Suggested Improvements

If I wasn't in the shop every 3 months I would love this car. Build a car that lasts over 50,000 miles

Pretty good car
By mememememe

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

98,000 miles so far and completely trouble free. I've done nothing other than normal maintenance and the car has never let me down. It's fun to drive, perfect size, big trunk, still looks great.

Favorite Features

Handles well, good size trunk, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Smaller turning radius, seats with more side support.