1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
13 years of love.
By Mark on 07/08/08 22:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new Dec, 95 at the age of 21, and am about to trade it in (180k miles) this month for a used minivan for the wife and 2 kids. I LOVE this car. Being an irresponsible 21 y/o, I punished this vehicle (top @135 mph, hard redlines, etc) and haven't maintained it like i should recently. Therefore some things are my fault. Problems: transmission rebuilt @ ~80k miles - currently slips & leaks, oil leaks, blown radiator hose, bad right front shock (my fault), bad driver window track (won't roll up), O2 sensor, visor lights, emergency brake cord stretched & catches, stereo power glitches, blown front speaker (my fault), paint on spoiler faded. Not a lot if you considering its history.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring?
By tigerlily on 06/24/08 08:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I got this car as a gift my senior year and fell in love with it immediately. I've replaced the O2 sensors and the water pump twice (within a 6 month period of time), and after year 1 everything electric on the interior has one-by-one stopped working; the dome light only works if I'm entering through the passenger door and the stereo will randomly turn on and off. I've paid for a very pricey tune up, replacing just about everything and that seemed to help nothing, the belts still slip and there's a tap that no one can seem to figure out. Last year i developed a temperamental oil leak, comes and goes and most recently at 100K it's leaking transmission fluid.

not to bad
By marc_usmc on 04/18/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I had to have this car as soon as I saw it. It does tend to have a lot of belt and O2 sensor problems but after 160k and lots of racing and double clutching my tranny is in perfect condition you get out of it what you put into on if you take care of It you don't have too many problems. The most expensive thing I did to it was replace a control arm. But it is very hard to find custom parts for it I had to fabricate some stuff my self. And it gets horrible gas mileage. The turbocharged es has some serious balls though

great car
By ziggy445 on 04/04/08 16:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new, and I do all my own maintenance. People will drive a car, not notice that it needs maintenance, and when it finally craps out, they blame the car. The only problems had were minor, and taken care of while the car was in warranty. The engine runs great, but working on it can be challenging, like removing the intake plenum to change plugs. After all the miles, there are some fluid leaks, but I will keep adding fluid until I can get the time to fix it. Overall, I can't imagine a car lasting better for the amount I drive.

What I Think
By kobels avenger on 01/08/08 10:11 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

On my 96' Avenger I've got 17" Riax, spoiler, graphics, cold air intake, 10" subs, 260 watt amp. I'm savin my money to get a new paint job with metalic flakes in the paint. My car hugs corners really good, and has a good top speed

This car was a life saver
By Janet on 06/09/07 20:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Bought a '96 Avenger ES with 104K for my 17 yo son. The most important thing I can say about this car is that it was substantial and well built enough to save his life in a bad front end collision. Both airbags deployed and the car was totaled, but he walked away without a scratch. He is crushed about losing this car-his first and like a friend to him. Well designed inside and out--I found it comfortable to drive and am 50 yo with a young one in a carseat--easiest 2 door to get child in and out of carseat I have ever used- loved the way the front seats slid forward automatically. Quality for this American made car is exceptional and ergonomic. Handled well, fun to drive, no major problems.

KING OF '96
By WDunn2807 on 05/12/06 06:56 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car is my baby. My real only problem is the engine went out. Something in the cam and instead of finding the problem just had it replaced. That was a hefty $1400. And there really isn't much wrong with this car. If you want proof go and drive another car that is a '96. There you go thats all you need. For a 1996 car this thing owns the road.

This car is soo Reliable
By Lady K on 11/27/05 19:30 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This is my first car and suppose to get me through college. 140000 miles and counting. Overall the car works mostly all of the time, only normal general maintenance is required ( tune ups, oil changes, etc..) Never really had any big expensive problems with it and Ive had it almost 6 years. Love It !!

Finally Rid of this Lemon
By Nellie03 on 11/10/05 10:21 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I can't imagine owning another Dodge. The transmission went out as soon as the warranty did. I've gone through more ball joints and wheel bearings than gallons of gas it seems! Wiper fluid pump went out at 100,000. Exhaust leaked at 75K. Power Locks went out. Nothing but trouble, but is that really a surpise coming from Dodge? If it's not a Hemi, it's junk...

Take it to the Junk Yard
By JO on 09/16/05 16:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new, hated it within 2 years, I finally had enough after 9.5 years and only 70,000 miles. Repalced tranny after 3 years and 30,000, it is going again. O2 sensor light on constantly for past 4 years, replaced virtualy every sensor including $600 part of manifold. Pieces of the door panel starting breaking off 2 years ago. Struts, ball joints and bushings gone at 50,000. Rack and Pinion gone at 60,000. Final straw, the control arm snapped, droping the car, mechanic suggested getting rid of car quickly, it is literally rotting away.