Used 1996 Dodge Avenger Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

13 years old & still great
By AnnaMN

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I originally purchased this car when I was 16 for its exterior look but after 7 years of driving it, it has proved to be an amazing car. At 146K it is still running great. The 2.0 4-cyl may not be the most powerful engine on the road, but it helps with fuel costs. Very comfortable interior, easy to drive; great handling in all weather. Drove it back & forth to college weekly, has never broken down. Its time for me to get a new car even though its still running great, but I needed to pay tribute to how wonderful the Avenger has been. Will be sad to see it go.

Huge back seat for a coupe, fold down back seats for moving large things, lots of great compartments, A/C kicks in very fast as well as the heat, good visibility out front window, great factory sound system, huge trunk, beautiful exterior, sleek.

could be a little quicker, more cup holders, hard to see out rear window

Excellent Car
By Deliman1211

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I got this car just a year ago, when i bought it the only problem that it had was a misfire, and that was easily fixed. i got the car for 400$ from my neighbor. and its got almost 220k miles and still runs great. the only problem i recently had was that the starter went out. easy fix. bolts are confusing to get too. other then that it is a GREAT car. it also gets awesome gas mileage. i would recommend it to everyone who wants a reliable, quick, and sporty car.

the design has a sleek sport look that looks awesome.

a little more power from the engine would be AWESOME

great car
By cbones

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car my freshmen yr of college for $900, had an oil leak & needed brakes, I put a new head gasket (a Chrysler known problem) to fix oil leak, a new timing belt & tensioner on at this time, & spent $60 on brakes, broke the trans pinion shaft doing high speed doughnuts in the snow (whoops) bought a new diferential and its worked great ever since, I have done is regular maintenance, belts tires, o2 etc. As needed, rewired the a/c in auto class & now it will freeze you out. I recently broke 200k and it is still running as strong as ever, car looks great, handles like a dream & is fun to drive. Average 30+ mpg on the interstate & recently hit 37 mpg on the highway, 24 in town

the car looks & drives great. got a speeding ticket and the cop didn't believe that it was a 13 yr old car!!

lower first gear would help the in town mileage, fix the a/c problem (or do what i did), cruise control switch will come back on after a key off cycle if it was previously on

Owned this car for nearly 10 years
By ChipM

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in 1995 and have been the only owner. I've had an overall excellent experience with this car. I've had to replace some belts, hoses, power steering pulley twice, battery, radiator, thermostat twice, and radio (once under warranty). All things I would expect to replace within a 10-year span on any car. I have no regrets about buying this car. It's been very good to me.

Styling, interior space, ergonomics, comfort, fuel economy.

Turning radius is HUGE, and the car has tendency to hit front and rear when entering steep inclines. It's very low to the ground. Add another cupholder to the front seat, and find a different place for the radio controls - shift gets in the way.

Best buy on the market
By eastcoast604

1996 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

For what you pay, buying one used, it is the best vehicle on the market. Fun to drive, but expensive to fix.

Smooth turning, smooth ride.

Accelaration is a bit girky, and the vehicle is hard to get in and out of.