1996 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
I Lke It!
By skippy21 on 03/25/13 16:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

i have had mine for about 9 monthes and min eis a 96 as well and mine has never died on me, and the only probleme with it is the interior, i completely hate the interior, crappy plastice that keeps breaking on me, but other than that i like the sound, speed, and realiability of it. over all i am impressed.

i love my venge (avenger)
By claudee2414 on 02/11/11 09:23 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

i purchased my avenger with 72,000 on it, i have had it for 5 years and now it has 240,000 milege. replaced the tranny and it lasted 3 years and now i have to rebuild it again. other than the transmission problems the engine is just starting to break in. replaced altenator, and radiator and brakes. this car handles like an indy car, its so sleak and beautiful. and i have the only one in the town that i live in!! i am in love with my venge, get one you will be too :)

I struck oil
By clout on 08/30/09 18:11 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I got my dodge avenger ES with no miles a 188000 miles latter I've changed the o2 sensor twice the camshaft sensor once and developed a oil leak that seems no one can fix.I just recently paid 1200 dollars for a distributor and this is the third time I've taken it back. it seems like the mechanics don't know how to work on these car,s or don,t like to. the drivers side window works when it wants to no dome light really a bright ideal. this car should be better quality.

Fun Car To Drive
By galleskater on 08/01/09 10:50 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I have owned the car for two years and after about 40,000 miles on the car I still love it. Went out and bought low profile Falken tires painted rims black and threw four 12 subs in the trunk. I have gone through seven cars from my two years of driving and my highly spirited driving style and this car has held up to most of the abuse... I had the engine replaced when purchased and tranny rebuilt, and with the help of 75 shot of NOS cold air intake street torque converted lowering springs catback 550cc injectors and billet fuel rail this car is FAST! Looking at a set of gears for even quicker starts. Definitely suggested buy.

Wonderful Older Car To Own
By Arthur Johnny-john on 04/25/09 18:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I purchased this 1996 Dodge Advenger ES used from a buddy of mine this spring, he no longer wanted it because it needs a little of everything fixed or replaced due to it's age. He also had a family now and it doesn't quite "fit" the family's purpose either, so I got it for $800.00 and have been driving it daily now for about 2 months now. It handles like a dream! Excellent power for having 180,000 miles on it and I plan on investing a lot of money into it to bring it back to better-than showroom... I'm going to make it my dream project summer vehicle!

Not too shabby
By Brittney on 11/26/08 13:01 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $800 and 161,000 miles on it. I really enjoy this car. Nothing major wrong with it, just general maintenance. This will probably last me one more year. It is fun to drive and has a great stereo system. I love the size of the steering wheel. The only con I can really think of is the turning radius and the low bumper. It sometimes scrapes the ground if you're not careful.

Great sexy fun car
By Great sexy car on 09/12/08 10:15 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

Love the sleek sporty look of car; fun to drive; at 134,000 miles have little more than normal maintenance. Reliable. Well built and beefy enough to feel save on cross-country driving as well as crowded freeway driving. Bright red, decked out with spoiler, moon roof, leather interior - always gets admiring looks even tho now 12 years old.

13 years of love.
By Mark on 07/08/08 22:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new Dec, 95 at the age of 21, and am about to trade it in (180k miles) this month for a used minivan for the wife and 2 kids. I LOVE this car. Being an irresponsible 21 y/o, I punished this vehicle (top @135 mph, hard redlines, etc) and haven't maintained it like i should recently. Therefore some things are my fault. Problems: transmission rebuilt @ ~80k miles - currently slips & leaks, oil leaks, blown radiator hose, bad right front shock (my fault), bad driver window track (won't roll up), O2 sensor, visor lights, emergency brake cord stretched & catches, stereo power glitches, blown front speaker (my fault), paint on spoiler faded. Not a lot if you considering its history.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring?
By tigerlily on 06/24/08 08:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I got this car as a gift my senior year and fell in love with it immediately. I've replaced the O2 sensors and the water pump twice (within a 6 month period of time), and after year 1 everything electric on the interior has one-by-one stopped working; the dome light only works if I'm entering through the passenger door and the stereo will randomly turn on and off. I've paid for a very pricey tune up, replacing just about everything and that seemed to help nothing, the belts still slip and there's a tap that no one can seem to figure out. Last year i developed a temperamental oil leak, comes and goes and most recently at 100K it's leaking transmission fluid.

not to bad
By marc_usmc on 04/18/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I had to have this car as soon as I saw it. It does tend to have a lot of belt and O2 sensor problems but after 160k and lots of racing and double clutching my tranny is in perfect condition you get out of it what you put into on if you take care of It you don't have too many problems. The most expensive thing I did to it was replace a control arm. But it is very hard to find custom parts for it I had to fabricate some stuff my self. And it gets horrible gas mileage. The turbocharged es has some serious balls though