1996 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:
13 years old & still great
By AnnaMN on 10/04/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I originally purchased this car when I was 16 for its exterior look but after 7 years of driving it, it has proved to be an amazing car. At 146K it is still running great. The 2.0 4-cyl may not be the most powerful engine on the road, but it helps with fuel costs. Very comfortable interior, easy to drive; great handling in all weather. Drove it back & forth to college weekly, has never broken down. Its time for me to get a new car even though its still running great, but I needed to pay tribute to how wonderful the Avenger has been. Will be sad to see it go.

Excellent Car
By Deliman1211 on 03/05/09 08:14 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I got this car just a year ago, when i bought it the only problem that it had was a misfire, and that was easily fixed. i got the car for 400$ from my neighbor. and its got almost 220k miles and still runs great. the only problem i recently had was that the starter went out. easy fix. bolts are confusing to get too. other then that it is a GREAT car. it also gets awesome gas mileage. i would recommend it to everyone who wants a reliable, quick, and sporty car.

great car
By cbones on 08/06/08 10:40 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Bought this car my freshmen yr of college for $900, had an oil leak & needed brakes, I put a new head gasket (a Chrysler known problem) to fix oil leak, a new timing belt & tensioner on at this time, & spent $60 on brakes, broke the trans pinion shaft doing high speed doughnuts in the snow (whoops) bought a new diferential and its worked great ever since, I have done is regular maintenance, belts tires, o2 etc. As needed, rewired the a/c in auto class & now it will freeze you out. I recently broke 200k and it is still running as strong as ever, car looks great, handles like a dream & is fun to drive. Average 30+ mpg on the interstate & recently hit 37 mpg on the highway, 24 in town

Owned this car for nearly 10 years
By ChipM on 01/30/05 10:17 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in 1995 and have been the only owner. I've had an overall excellent experience with this car. I've had to replace some belts, hoses, power steering pulley twice, battery, radiator, thermostat twice, and radio (once under warranty). All things I would expect to replace within a 10-year span on any car. I have no regrets about buying this car. It's been very good to me.

Best buy on the market
By eastcoast604 on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

For what you pay, buying one used, it is the best vehicle on the market. Fun to drive, but expensive to fix.

96 Avenger Sport
By Wolvie MkM on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Worked great until it started braking... higher milage I4 owners watch out for rear main oil seal leaks, and oil ring leaks. My driveway looks lovely... Great while it lasted... Engine is too weak for weight of car... Handles great though..

NEEDS A TURBO
By marcus on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

CAR IS SO FREAKIN COOL. SWEET STYLE AND HANDELS PERFECT. HAVE HAD NO MAJOR PROBLEMS, BUT THE NORMAL. I THINK THE CAR NEEDS A TURBO ON THE 420A ENGINE LIKE THE ECLIPSE THAT IT SHARES IT PLATFORM WITH. THE CAR LOOKS FAST BUT IS MISSING THE POWER(4CYL) THAT IT SHOULD HAVE. IT WILL COMPETE WITH THE RICERS WITCH I LOVE. THE CAR IS STARTING TO GET AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE WITCH IS EVEN BETTER.

NEEDS A TURBO
By MARCUS on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Dont waist your money!
By Dodgesux on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I advise to never buy a Dodge or ever a Dodge Avenger. My car is a 1996 which is the second year they made these cars and it was the biggest lemon I could have ever imagined buying. Within the last year I have replaced the engine, the transmission, the radiator, $800 in brakes which are going out once again, and the fuel pump. Also the thermostat was replaced. All of this and last week i was leaning back in my seat to replace my wallet and the seat broke so I havent got any back support. This car has never been wrecked but has completely fallen apart! Terrible car will never buy Chrysler again!

My Dodge Avenger
By aickelin on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I've loved my 96 Avenger. It has not given me any mechanical problems with one exception. In the first 30,000 miles the engine leaked oil. My Dealer was great and it turned out to be a wrinkel in the head gasket which was corrected under warranty. With regular oil changes and upkeep, the car has performed well for its price range. I wish they were still making that model.