1996 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

1996 Avenger Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
I Lke It!
By skippy21

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

i have had mine for about 9 monthes and min eis a 96 as well and mine has never died on me, and the only probleme with it is the interior, i completely hate the interior, crappy plastice that keeps breaking on me, but other than that i like the sound, speed, and realiability of it. over all i am impressed.

Favorite Features

sound, design, and speed

Suggested Improvements

redo interior and also raise the car, i can't go on 4 inch dip without scraping bottom.

i love my venge (avenger)
By claudee2414

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

i purchased my avenger with 72,000 on it, i have had it for 5 years and now it has 240,000 milege. replaced the tranny and it lasted 3 years and now i have to rebuild it again. other than the transmission problems the engine is just starting to break in. replaced altenator, and radiator and brakes. this car handles like an indy car, its so sleak and beautiful. and i have the only one in the town that i live in!! i am in love with my venge, get one you will be too :)

Favorite Features

the stock stereo system is so awesome, leather interior, electric seats, and the visor with 3 electrical garage opening features, and the best quality of the avenger is how it handles the road like a race car.

13 years old & still great
By AnnaMN

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I originally purchased this car when I was 16 for its exterior look but after 7 years of driving it, it has proved to be an amazing car. At 146K it is still running great. The 2.0 4-cyl may not be the most powerful engine on the road, but it helps with fuel costs. Very comfortable interior, easy to drive; great handling in all weather. Drove it back & forth to college weekly, has never broken down. Its time for me to get a new car even though its still running great, but I needed to pay tribute to how wonderful the Avenger has been. Will be sad to see it go.

Favorite Features

Huge back seat for a coupe, fold down back seats for moving large things, lots of great compartments, A/C kicks in very fast as well as the heat, good visibility out front window, great factory sound system, huge trunk, beautiful exterior, sleek.

Suggested Improvements

could be a little quicker, more cup holders, hard to see out rear window

I struck oil
By clout

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I got my dodge avenger ES with no miles a 188000 miles latter I've changed the o2 sensor twice the camshaft sensor once and developed a oil leak that seems no one can fix.I just recently paid 1200 dollars for a distributor and this is the third time I've taken it back. it seems like the mechanics don't know how to work on these car,s or don,t like to. the drivers side window works when it wants to no dome light really a bright ideal. this car should be better quality.

Fun Car To Drive
By galleskater

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I have owned the car for two years and after about 40,000 miles on the car I still love it. Went out and bought low profile Falken tires painted rims black and threw four 12 subs in the trunk. I have gone through seven cars from my two years of driving and my highly spirited driving style and this car has held up to most of the abuse... I had the engine replaced when purchased and tranny rebuilt, and with the help of 75 shot of NOS cold air intake street torque converted lowering springs catback 550cc injectors and billet fuel rail this car is FAST! Looking at a set of gears for even quicker starts. Definitely suggested buy.

Favorite Features

exterior styling, common speaker sizes easy for upgrading, mitsu engine

Suggested Improvements

Manual trans! And paint process paint is starting to fade on hood... guess carbon fiber here I come.

Wonderful Older Car To Own
By Arthur Johnny-john

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I purchased this 1996 Dodge Advenger ES used from a buddy of mine this spring, he no longer wanted it because it needs a little of everything fixed or replaced due to it's age. He also had a family now and it doesn't quite "fit" the family's purpose either, so I got it for $800.00 and have been driving it daily now for about 2 months now. It handles like a dream! Excellent power for having 180,000 miles on it and I plan on investing a lot of money into it to bring it back to better-than showroom... I'm going to make it my dream project summer vehicle!

Favorite Features

I just love the body style... it has a short front end with some nice looking curves and sport car height; It's getting head turns wherever I go and I keep getting compliments on its looks.

Suggested Improvements

It does need some quieter interior work, and softer suspension, but its a sporty type of vehicle so its a little different from what I'm used to, but I still love it!

Excellent Car
By Deliman1211

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

I got this car just a year ago, when i bought it the only problem that it had was a misfire, and that was easily fixed. i got the car for 400$ from my neighbor. and its got almost 220k miles and still runs great. the only problem i recently had was that the starter went out. easy fix. bolts are confusing to get too. other then that it is a GREAT car. it also gets awesome gas mileage. i would recommend it to everyone who wants a reliable, quick, and sporty car.

Favorite Features

the design has a sleek sport look that looks awesome.

Suggested Improvements

a little more power from the engine would be AWESOME

Not too shabby
By Brittney

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $800 and 161,000 miles on it. I really enjoy this car. Nothing major wrong with it, just general maintenance. This will probably last me one more year. It is fun to drive and has a great stereo system. I love the size of the steering wheel. The only con I can really think of is the turning radius and the low bumper. It sometimes scrapes the ground if you're not careful.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel, stereo system

Suggested Improvements

It sits too low

Great sexy fun car
By Great sexy car

1996 Dodge Avenger ES 2dr Coupe

Love the sleek sporty look of car; fun to drive; at 134,000 miles have little more than normal maintenance. Reliable. Well built and beefy enough to feel save on cross-country driving as well as crowded freeway driving. Bright red, decked out with spoiler, moon roof, leather interior - always gets admiring looks even tho now 12 years old.

great car
By cbones

1996 Dodge Avenger 2dr Coupe

Bought this car my freshmen yr of college for $900, had an oil leak & needed brakes, I put a new head gasket (a Chrysler known problem) to fix oil leak, a new timing belt & tensioner on at this time, & spent $60 on brakes, broke the trans pinion shaft doing high speed doughnuts in the snow (whoops) bought a new diferential and its worked great ever since, I have done is regular maintenance, belts tires, o2 etc. As needed, rewired the a/c in auto class & now it will freeze you out. I recently broke 200k and it is still running as strong as ever, car looks great, handles like a dream & is fun to drive. Average 30+ mpg on the interstate & recently hit 37 mpg on the highway, 24 in town

Favorite Features

the car looks & drives great. got a speeding ticket and the cop didn't believe that it was a 13 yr old car!!

Suggested Improvements

lower first gear would help the in town mileage, fix the a/c problem (or do what i did), cruise control switch will come back on after a key off cycle if it was previously on