Edmunds.com's True Market Value® gives you the opportunity to optimize customer satisfaction and maximize dealer profitability!
What Is True Market Value® (TMV®)?
- An exclusive Edmunds resource used by consumers to calculate the price others are paying for new and used vehicles in their area.
- A proprietary pricing system that takes into account key variables.
- Free, no-hassle way for dealers to improve customer experience and increase the likelihood of repeat customer visits (sales & service) and positive word-of-mouth referrals.
How True Market Value® Benefits You
- Reduces primary tension with customers during purchase process (price negotiation) while ensuring you get a fair price.
- Decreases time spent on price negotiations, allowing you to allocate more time for additional sales or other activities.
- Negotiations from a TMV® position are generally more profitable than those done from invoice.
Do You Disagree with True Market Value® (TMV®) Prices Reported on Edmunds.com?
If you think our numbers do not accurately reflect transactions in your area, you can help us refine our prices by providing sales data from your dealership.
True Market Value® FAQs
- What is TMV®?
TMV® is Edmunds' estimate of the most commonly paid, current, actual transaction price for new and used vehicles — the True Market Value® in a particular region.
- Are TMV® prices regionalized?
Yes, TMV® prices reflect varying market conditions for new and used vehicle sales throughout the country.
- How does TMV® benefit me?
By providing your dealer transaction data, you influence the TMV® pricing for your region. Dealers benefit from providing non-specific dealer data (identified by Zip only) – it enables analysis of selling conditions and trends in your area which you may not be aware of.
- Why does Edmunds want dealer vehicle transaction data?
The data is needed to establish Edmunds' True Market Value®. More transaction data translates into higher accuracy for TMV® pricing.
The goal is to determine the most commonly paid price in the marketplace, based on actual transaction prices, in order to give dealers a fair profit and the consumer a fair deal without lengthy and stressful negotiations.
- Where does Edmunds get its pricing data from?
Data is downloaded weekly from the Dealer Management Systems (DMS) of 5,000 dealerships and dealer groups across the country. Edmunds receives data from roughly 25% of all the US dealerships.
- How is transaction data provided to Edmunds?
Edmunds uses a contracted vendor to extract only the specific data you have approved for extraction from your DMS. This data is then delivered electronically back to Edmunds.
- How is the data extraction done?
It is typically done remotely via a dial-in modem through a user name and password provided by dealer. Dealers also have the option of delivering the data directly to an FTP site. This option enables dealers to bypass data extraction from their DMS by a contracted vendor.
- What do I need to do to participate in the program? Is there any cost to me?
Your written authorization is required. There is no cost to the dealer.
- What does this program require of me on a day-to-day basis?
Nothing. Once the authorization document is signed, the data is extracted without any interruption to your DMS or daily operations.
- How often is data electronically transferred from the DMS, and how often is the data updated on Edmunds?
Data is transferred weekly. Major updates take place on a monthly basis, minor updates are handled weekly.
- Will information about my dealership or its operations be available to any other person or organization?
No. Edmunds will not disclose any information that could identify a dealer. The dealer's data will be used solely in aggregate as an input to the determination of TMV®.
- Does the TMV® price include regional marketing fees?
They are not called out as a separate line items but, if applicable, they are factored into the overall TMV® price.
- What items are called out as separate line items?
National base price, destination charges, regional adjustments, color adjustment, optional equipment and any applicable incentives are called out and figured into a bottom line New TMV® price. Used TMV® prices also include condition and mileage adjustments.
- Will any data be written to my DMS?