2000 Daewoo Nubira CDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Daewoo Nubira - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nubira Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Nubira model:

Sort Reviews by

A disgrace to the word "Automobile".
By toiletbeard

2000 Daewoo Nubira CDX 4dr Wagon

Stay far, far away from this vehicle. My Daewoo was dirt cheap ($2000 with decent mileage) and now I know why. In 2 years, I've had to replace the starter, the alternator, front & rear brake pads, the timing belt, mechanisms for the tires, 2 batteries/loads of bulbs due to the faulty wiring, various hoses, bearings and fuses, oil leaks patched every year, the sunroof broke, the CD player shorted out, all 4 door handles popped off, buttons stopped working on the dash, and more. As we speak, the high beams are stuck "on" because of the bad wiring, so I have to disconnect the battery or pull the fuse when I stop. Good luck getting replacement parts, which are expensive and hard to find.

Favorite Features

The sound system was pretty decent when it worked.

Suggested Improvements

Based on how often parts break, I can only assume that Daewoo made these cars out of discarded VCR parts. I've owned 7 cars in my lifetime, some even cheaper than this one, and have never encountered so many problems. I know that Daewoos are cheap, but you are better off spending your money on a different car. Any car. This car is an absolute piece of garbage from front to back. Also, my Nubira is an automatic, not a 5-speed, but they wouldn't let me select the automatic model from the drop-down menu.

165,650 and still going strong
By sinclair_00

2000 Daewoo Nubira SE 4dr Sedan

11 years and 165,650 miles later, and I still love my Daewoo Nubira SE. It has not left me stranded, and has only overheated twice, once when my water pump died at 152,500, and then when the original radiator cracked at 162,350. Other than that just your basic repairs, if you take care of it it will return the favor. I really wish GM, Suzuki and the unknown third partner had bought the US division and kept it in business because it would have been nice to see where Daewoo could have gone in today’s market. Especially with the fuel prices of today. The best investment was swapping the bad Hancook tires for BF Goodrich Traction T/A tires; it has improved the ride, performance and MPG of the Nubira. This car is definitely a keeper, if not for a daily driver then for a perfect backup vehicle and will be used to the very end which according to my mechanic could quite possible be another 50,000+ miles.

Favorite Features

Style, MPG, ride keyless entry and factory sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger and better cup holder, and an arm rest would be great.

Love the Daewoo
By jimmie

2000 Daewoo Nubira SE 4dr Sedan

In the 10 years I've owned my Nubira I've had only a handful of repairs that were needed, until this year. In Feb of this year a piece of the stainless steal exhaust system rusted out, and then 2 weeks ago the water pump dies, spraying Antifreeze on the timing belt, and then last Friday the Oil pump died. With the exception of those 2 things, and my A/C condenser rusting out, I would highly recommend this car to anyone. It now has 152,500 miles on it, and was bought brand new in 2000 with only 30 miles on it. It is still very comfortable on long trips both freeway and city, and has always started right up, no matter how cold the WI winters are. I wish GM kept this brand in business here.

Favorite Features

Love the great go-cart handling, and awesome brakes. The styling looks like it belongs on something that would cost about $10,000 more, then the $13,500 I spent on it Brand new with remote locks, power windows, alarm system, and Great stock radio.

Suggested Improvements

Dislikes, are that when you have the Timing belt and water pump changed, you better also have the Oil pump changed because it will fail shortly after, and it needs better/bigger cup holders, and for GM to bring the brand back into the US. Would so buy another one.

the woowoo
By jon daewoo

2000 Daewoo Nubira CDX 4dr Sedan

I got this used as a graduation car after driving it while in school. I've had very few problems with it beyond normal wear and tear. I consistently get outstanding mileage with it: I got over 40mpg coming back from TX to KS last winter. The "power" feature is nice for when you want a sportier feel/acceleration and for driving long, climbing stretches (lots of hills). Very comfortable to drive and handles great. The speaker system puts out impressive quality for being a smaller car. My only issue is an oil leak that is hard to fix because there are no dealers anymore.

Favorite Features

A great sound system for a small car. I love that I, at 6'6", can fit comfortably in it, with room to spare actually, and not squish my passengers. Trunk holds a LOT of stuff

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to bring Daewoo back to the US. It's a great little car for not a lot of money.

Did what I needed.
By shaung973

2000 Daewoo Nubira SE 4dr Sedan

Bought used (very used) as I needed a cheap and economical car. I was driving a V-8 LTD and facing long summer commutes. Drives and handles just fine. No power, but that was to be expected. It was well used and not too well maintained when I bought it, as the price I paid suggested. I have kept regular oil changes and tune ups. I did have to put in a new transmission - like I said badly maintained rather than bad product. It has no resale value so I plan to drive it until it falls apart, which is what I do with most my vehicles anyway. Has some vibration in the front end at high speeds, but all older cars do. Only downside is finding a mechanic who will work on it, parts are still reasonable

Favorite Features

No favorite features of note, because its very basic and has no special features. Push foot on gas and car moves, thats the most important feature to me.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the fact that the transmission is closed. Very little that can be done with that but wait for it to blow.

My First Car
By newh1323

2000 Daewoo Nubira CDX 4dr Sedan

I've driven dozens of cars since I've owned this one and I find enjoyment in it every time I take the wheel. It's very peppy from 0-40 mph but accelerates timidly after that. Using it as a delivery car has been smooth sailing and long road trips are easily tackled by this vehicle. It's kind of a rare car wherever you go and parts are nothing short of a scavenger hunt but with appropriate maintenance, the thing is a survivor. It has come with its share of problems though. The CD player and A/C had to be replaced a few years after purchase. Any other difficulties with the car have been due to low quality electrical parts (power windows). It's a respectable first-car to run into the ground.

Favorite Features

This car gets decent gas mileage and the major components have held together with proper maintenance. It has large trunk space and the foldable back seats add adequate room for storage. It comes with the necessities and even has a respectable sound system. Weather is hardly ever a factor.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality parts could be used in certain areas of the car like door handles and the center console. The electrical work need a makeover for sure. Personally, I felt the horn could be less passive and interior noise should be reduced. The front end should have been redesigned.

Wow, what a car!
By robsawriter

2000 Daewoo Nubira SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a friend. I had no idea that what I was getting would be so fun to drive, get such great fuel economy and these days with the price of gas hitting records each day, it is a bonus to own this car.

Favorite Features

I love the 5 speed stick shift.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would want to improve upon is the interior design. It's a bit stuffy, but that is just me.

Great car for the Money
By Charlie

2000 Daewoo Nubira CDX 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for 3 years: No big problems.

Favorite Features

This is a easy car to drive: No blind spots; and good power for a 4 cylinder.

I Love My Nubira
By Susan

2000 Daewoo Nubira SE 4dr Sedan

Last year I purchased a used Daewoo Nubira 2000 SE with 72,000 miles on it. It has been a great car! The only negative thing I've noticed is that the gas mileage is not as good as I expected. After having it over a year I'm very happy with it!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, and dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG.

Daewoo Dilemma
By xoloitzquintle

2000 Daewoo Nubira CDX 4dr Wagon

I purchased a Daewoo after driving one as a rental in Europe. It is a great car: reliable, well-performing, and well designed. The only problem is that Daewoo left the US market after bankruptcy making service at times difficult. Fortunately I have had no problems with the car and needs little service. I have driven the car cross-country three times. It has a comfortable ride and performs well under all conditions.

Favorite Features

Rear defrost also defrosts outside mirrors. Very spacious - both passangers and cargo. Good acceleration power.

Suggested Improvements

GM, which bought Daewoo motors and runs it abroad, should bring the brand back to the US (it sells Daewoo cars under the Chevorolet label).