Used 2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Daewoo Lanos - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lanos model:

Lemon and Piece of Junk
By Lemon Picker

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

This is the worst car in the world. I got this car after it had only 9K miles. Drove it for a while and all sorts of problems. Where do I start? First of all, it's not a very economical car and uses a lot of gas for its size. No power and it's very embarrassing to drive uphill especially if you have a couple of passengers. It acts like it has a motorcycle engine. Dashboard constantly shows Check Engine light which is very annoying. Battery dies constantly. I think there is major electrical issues with this car. Avoid this car at all cost people!

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

Better than expected
By Bobby

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I have this car for more than 5 years. The most expensive repair was under $100, so I consider it to be very reliable. It's peppy, fun to drive, easy to make U turns in one lane, or park in small space. I would recommend it to everybody, except for the lack of dealerships and spare parts (although the spare parts seem to be easier to get hold off recently).

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, can load huge items through the hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

No clock on a dashboard. They added it to 2001 models.

Expensive Trouble
By unhapper owner

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used with 65,000 miles as a poor college student with high hopes after looking at all these positive reviews, but my experience has been anything but positive. I bought it for only $2,800, but have had to put literally half that into repairs. With only 72,000 miles on it, the engine had to be replaced because a piston broke. It was quite the ordeal to find someone with a used engine because parts for the Daewoo are not even being made anymore and very few people in the US are familiar with the cars.

Suggested Improvements

For being made in the year 2000, this car should have cruise control, power locks and windows, a digital clock inside, and a CD player would be nice.

Excellent value!
By RobertsT

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

When I bought my Lanos brand new, I was looking for a low-maintenance, highly fuel economic vehicle that I could afford during college while only having a part-time job. Four years later, I would still be driving it if I were not a mother who needs space for a carseat!

Favorite Features

I have the manuel 5-speed: good pick-up- and-go! LOTS of space in the trunk, for a hatchback, and much more passenger room than most other compact cars.

Suggested Improvements

A clock in the dashboard in the base model would have been nice.

daewoo lover
By RSAGirl

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

Had this car for 4 years. Had to take it back twice for engine sensor-no big deal. Awesome on turns...so much fun to whip it around. Pity no more Daewoos!!

Favorite Features

Steady on turns, even at high speed, fuel economy, cute body.

Suggested Improvements

Intrior a little cheap looking.