Used 2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Daewoo Lanos - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lanos model:

Need Another One
By Green Kepi

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

Here it is almost 2011 and the 'old girl' is still going strong. Nearly 200,000 miles. This car has paid for itself many times over! When it does die on me. Will be like losing a member of the family!

Favorite Features

People asking what it is and who makes it....

Like it, but has issues
By TON10ESR

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I had my Daewoo Lanos for about 7 months now and I like it so far and I haven't had issues with it until now. all just minor for a car with 60k (front and rear brakes, tie rod, RF Caliper, and electrical issues). Gas mileage is ok on this car. I average around 300 miles to a tank of gas. It's pretty fun to drive, but parts are hard to find and I have to order even the easiest of parts for it.

Favorite Features

ride, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

better quality parts.

Daewoo = Zero problems
By Phil

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I owned this car for 4 1/2 years without ever having a single problem. It had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it and I used synthetic oil the whole time which is a no-brainer for any car. Granted I only drove about 5000 miles a year, but the car was the picture of reliability. The new Subaru WRX actually looks like a Lanos. The style still looks good today and there is plenty of leg and head room. Did I get lucky and get a trouble free car? From what I've read, I suppose that is possible. All I know is that I would buy another one in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone who wants an inexpensive, reliable car. The chassis was designed by Porsche...yes that Porsche.

Favorite Features

At 55mph, I got 42 miles per gallon. The hatchback is great and there's room to spare. The car was designed by Porsche and it shows. The car corners like a sports car. Cheap to insure, cheap to drive. The reliability is flawless. Love the rear window wiper. Seats are very supportive.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of a single thing. The car is bullet proof. Maybe more power, but that would cut into the gas mileage which is world class. They should start building and selling these cars again...if Subaru likes the design enough to make their 2009 $35,000 WRX look like a 2000 Lanos that says it all.

Thank you, Daewoo!
By mazerunner

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 5-speed Lanos hatchback brand new in 2000 and have not had any problems with it at all. The car has started every time and handles well. I made sure to get all my oil changes every 3000 miles and I replaced my timing belt at 55,000 miles. There was a recall involving one of the sensors back in 2003 or so, but aside from that and buying new tires and a muffler, I haven't put a lot of money into this car at all. It's good on gas, has cheap insurance, is easy to park, corners well, and even has a bit of speed to go along with it. I think this car has served me so well because I've taken care of it as far as maintenance is concerned. Even if it died tomorrow, it's been worth it.

Favorite Features

The rear folding seats allow for lots of storage space. I also like the simplicity of the dashboard.

Suggested Improvements

There are a few quirks with the car, such as the passenger seat which mysteriously reclines on its own. The middle cup holder is also useless. A tachometer would be nice for those who drive 5-speed. But these are all minor issues. It's a cheap car, so I wouldn't expect lots of power features.

Wow
By jidasas

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

Wow, all I heard when buying this car was that it was a mistake but I have not regretted owning this car once. I bought it used with 40,000 miles on it in 2003. I now have 128,000 miles on it and have only had one problem (a wire came loose from the loom and melted and had to be replaced). I am pleased with the car overall although I believe a little more power would have been nice on the interstate. I performed all maintenance before or at the required time and I believe that is the key to the longevity of these cars.

Favorite Features

Roomy hatch area, good interstate gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More power, relocate the cupholder to a place that does not interfere with the radio.