2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lanos model:
Need Another One
By Green Kepi on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

Here it is almost 2011 and the 'old girl' is still going strong. Nearly 200,000 miles. This car has paid for itself many times over! When it does die on me. Will be like losing a member of the family!

Like it, but has issues
By TON10ESR on 07/23/10 00:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I had my Daewoo Lanos for about 7 months now and I like it so far and I haven't had issues with it until now. all just minor for a car with 60k (front and rear brakes, tie rod, RF Caliper, and electrical issues). Gas mileage is ok on this car. I average around 300 miles to a tank of gas. It's pretty fun to drive, but parts are hard to find and I have to order even the easiest of parts for it.

Daewoo = Zero problems
By Phil on 08/02/09 13:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I owned this car for 4 1/2 years without ever having a single problem. It had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it and I used synthetic oil the whole time which is a no-brainer for any car. Granted I only drove about 5000 miles a year, but the car was the picture of reliability. The new Subaru WRX actually looks like a Lanos. The style still looks good today and there is plenty of leg and head room. Did I get lucky and get a trouble free car? From what I've read, I suppose that is possible. All I know is that I would buy another one in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone who wants an inexpensive, reliable car. The chassis was designed by Porsche...yes that Porsche.

Thank you, Daewoo!
By mazerunner on 10/19/07 21:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 5-speed Lanos hatchback brand new in 2000 and have not had any problems with it at all. The car has started every time and handles well. I made sure to get all my oil changes every 3000 miles and I replaced my timing belt at 55,000 miles. There was a recall involving one of the sensors back in 2003 or so, but aside from that and buying new tires and a muffler, I haven't put a lot of money into this car at all. It's good on gas, has cheap insurance, is easy to park, corners well, and even has a bit of speed to go along with it. I think this car has served me so well because I've taken care of it as far as maintenance is concerned. Even if it died tomorrow, it's been worth it.

Wow
By jidasas on 11/27/06 21:17 PM (PST)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

Wow, all I heard when buying this car was that it was a mistake but I have not regretted owning this car once. I bought it used with 40,000 miles on it in 2003. I now have 128,000 miles on it and have only had one problem (a wire came loose from the loom and melted and had to be replaced). I am pleased with the car overall although I believe a little more power would have been nice on the interstate. I performed all maintenance before or at the required time and I believe that is the key to the longevity of these cars.

Lemon and Piece of Junk
By Lemon Picker on 06/13/06 18:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

This is the worst car in the world. I got this car after it had only 9K miles. Drove it for a while and all sorts of problems. Where do I start? First of all, it's not a very economical car and uses a lot of gas for its size. No power and it's very embarrassing to drive uphill especially if you have a couple of passengers. It acts like it has a motorcycle engine. Dashboard constantly shows Check Engine light which is very annoying. Battery dies constantly. I think there is major electrical issues with this car. Avoid this car at all cost people!

Better than expected
By Bobby on 10/14/05 15:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I have this car for more than 5 years. The most expensive repair was under $100, so I consider it to be very reliable. It's peppy, fun to drive, easy to make U turns in one lane, or park in small space. I would recommend it to everybody, except for the lack of dealerships and spare parts (although the spare parts seem to be easier to get hold off recently).

Expensive Trouble
By unhapper owner on 06/06/05 12:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used with 65,000 miles as a poor college student with high hopes after looking at all these positive reviews, but my experience has been anything but positive. I bought it for only $2,800, but have had to put literally half that into repairs. With only 72,000 miles on it, the engine had to be replaced because a piston broke. It was quite the ordeal to find someone with a used engine because parts for the Daewoo are not even being made anymore and very few people in the US are familiar with the cars.

Excellent value!
By RobertsT on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

When I bought my Lanos brand new, I was looking for a low-maintenance, highly fuel economic vehicle that I could afford during college while only having a part-time job. Four years later, I would still be driving it if I were not a mother who needs space for a carseat!

daewoo lover
By RSAGirl on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

Had this car for 4 years. Had to take it back twice for engine sensor-no big deal. Awesome on turns...so much fun to whip it around. Pity no more Daewoos!!