2013 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Review: Just purchased, a few thoughts

2013 Chrysler Town and Country - Consumer Review

2013 Chrysler Town and Country

Touring-L Passenger Minivan (3.6L V6 FFV 6-speed Automatic)

Just purchased, a few thoughts
By jds9571 on

2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring-L 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I just purchased a new 2013, and have under 1,000 miles on it.
We compared the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, and the T&C.
We loved the ride of the Honda, the 2nd row leg room of the Toyota, but the likes really stopped there for anything outside the T&C.
Options on the T&C are more plentiful for less money (rear entertainment, nav, heated seats...).
Of note, the T&C is the ONLY one to offer remote start.
The DVD in the Sienna looked like a shotty 3rd-party install, while both the Odyssey and Sienna dashboards felt very poorly and/or cheaply designed.

UPDATE 6/2016
So 40k miles in, still no real issues. Complaints are still road noise and rougher ride (could be OEM hard tires however). Fuel mileage isn't the best around town, but good power is a trade off. Have an issue where the nav won't update, paid (yes paid, no free map updates) $150 for an update and the unit would 't accept it, Garmin couldn't figure it out and actually said to have the head unit replaced so they can inspect. Still haven't had the time to do that so no word on how it worked out. Bought an inexpensive HDMI media player that I could plug into the rear 110V power and use an IR extender so I can load a bunch of our movies I put on an SD card, so we don't have to mess with changing DVD's and Disney super long menu intros - so we love the media connectivity! It'd be nice to be able to directly load movies to the HDD, but I'm sure that's to come. Transmission: haven't had problems other than when using Econ mode. Then the reverse to drive and vice versa are delayed and very hard. Coupled with the very low 3-4 (I think) gear shift RPM and no torque, we usually don't use Econ and it's fine - use it for road trips and we get 1.5-2 mpg higher and don't worry about the low speed shifting so win-win there! Stow-N-Go has been great, lots of extra storage on trips if the mid row is up, and rear seats can be configured for nice holding spots or jump seats, whatever way we want. All-in-all very happy!

• Acceleration
  • Climate control
  • Entertainment

• Noise and vibration
  • Ride comfort

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By twbradford
on 02/28/14 11:35 AM (PST)

Great review and I agree. Just got back from the DFW auto show and was able to view all three (I sat in a Nissan Quest 2014 for about 30 secs and knew it was not even close for consideration). The Honda, good reputation, nice overall but other than its name I was not really thinking 45k for the limited was a good spend. It lacked refinement and lacked any upgrades technically that I thought warranted 45k....but it does have a vacuum on board. :) The Toyota, what can I say? Apples to Apples, this one may have a great name but when comparing build quality to Chrysler and Honda, I though Toyota was a big let down. It also lacks any noticeable upgrades worthy of the price, IMHO. I feel that way for all Toyotas.....all they are really selling is reliability... its kind of like marrying a person only because they have a great resume. But in Toyotas case, they don't even back that up with a longer warranty. If the cars are that reliable, then prove it by offering a longer warranty. I predict Toyota will be the Sony of cars in 10 years. Sony is a name your respect but you'd rather buy the LG or Panasonic because they are better buys. The Chrysler has it all, IMHO. NO, it does not win awards for reliability but its not a dog either. Resale wise, if you compare a 2006 Chrysler to a 2006 Odyssey, the Odyssey wins by about 4 to 5 grand. ....but you pay that premium on the front end. A Touring-L with sunroof and everything will run about 33 with discounts. A Odyssey will be 40k at best for a limited. Plus with Chrysler you can get a MOPAR lifetime warranty for around 2500.00. So you still come out ahead with the Chrysler by 3-4 grand. And remember money saved now is more money later. The Chrysler is the better buy among mini-vans. ...unless you are looking to show that you value reputation above good value. Levis jeans for 50.00 versus Member Mark jeans for 12.00. Both wear well...but one has a name.