Used 2012 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chrysler Town and Country - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chrysler Town and Country

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

Safe comfortable car for the family!
By Mountain Mama

2012 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

With some kicking and screaming I traded my 4wheel drive jeep in for a used 2012 minivan. Dollar for dollar, after much research, we found the Chrysler T&C to be the best value. Great interior, comfortable leather seats, wonderful Bluetooth and hands free system. Love the stow and go options for my 2 growing boys and 4 golden retrievers. Every time I miss my sporty 4x4 days, this mom is pleasantly surprised and reminded why we changed to a minivan. What a secret we minivan mamas have over the rest of those moms driving around in little cars stuffed with everything. And the safety ratings are great which are reflected in the insurance premium. We are an active family and I was able to stow and configure the seats to fit an adult kayak, kid's kayak, and kid's paddle board in the van WITH my boys, a cooler, beach chairs, and life jackets this summer regularly. Winter months have us piling our ski gear in the back and heading to the mountain. How nice it is to have so much room to work with! We bought this van with 36k miles on it, it now has 79k miles and the only maintenance (other than oil changes and tire rotations) is brake pads and a transmission issue that was under warranty. This is our choice for long distance driving, and we've seen 30mpg on those trips (2000 mile round trips). Now, Chrysler seems to be putting cheap parts in brake systems and u-joints, but we've only had to replace brake pads once in the 40k+ we've put on this van. Not so lucky on our Dodge Durango (u-joints, brake pads and rotors) or former Jeep Patriot (electrical issues that left me stranded several times) so I would expect that you could see these issues on any Chrysler once it reaches a certain age or mileage. All in All one of the only cars I would give a great review for. Fits a family's needs very well!
*Update 6/02/16 At about 78,000 I started having a loud noise from the engine when I would accelerate. Took it in and they discovered that part of the transmission had actually cracked and come apart (the fly wheel?). After 3 weeks at the dealership and a tiny rental car, I finally got it back. Was happy to have the van back but began to question what other problems were ahead of me if this was just at 78k miles. The head mechanic said he had never seen anything like it in the 30yrs he's been there. Because I had traded in a Jeep Patriot at just over 100k miles because of several electrical issues (including a small fire) I decided maybe Chrysler cars are not my best choice for reliability after all of this. I no longer have the van but really miss the space and stow and go seats!

Be forewarned: You'll be @ dealer every month
By Jay Strongbow

2012 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The engineering on this car is amazingly poor. They threw features on the car so they could include them in the brochure, but the engineering / fabrication of the car is so substandard that you'll have this car in the shop every month.

- the check engine light will come on and stay on, and the dealer will bang you for 100+ dollars every time you take it in. For all the 'sophistication' of this vehicle, it cannot show you the interpretation of the check-engine codes. Don't forget to add the 100+ dollars every month, plus your time, plus the non-use of the vehicle into the cost of the car.
- car sometimes will not start (chip malfunction) ... be prepared to have it towed every so often. And don't take it on a trip ... it's not trustworthy.
- the blind spot warning system pings continuously for no reason. You can have the blind-spot detection turned off, but then why did they include such an untested system in this vehicle. Wasted dollars on purchasing this extra feature and on the many, many, many, many times we had this seemingly repaired only to have it malfunction a week after getting it back. Painful. Absolutely painful.
- there have been a HUGE number of recalls, many of which involve safety features

If you are a lonely person and want to count the service people amongyour closest friends, by all means purchase this vehicle.

If you are a thrill-seeker and want to drive a car which could lose power at any moment while you are driving in heavy traffic, by all means purchase this vehicle.

If you have extra money and time and you enjoy paying top dollar for a substandard vehicle, by all means purchase this vehicle.

Loves to eat brakes
By timcorona

2012 Chrysler Town and Country Touring-L 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Very disappointed with how this town and country goes through brakes. Pads and rotors replaced at 35,000 miles,
Both front and rear. Less than 4,000 miles later, the brakes need service again. All four rotors were heavily glazed over.

Storage

Better brakes

Great Van
By buenink

2012 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We got our T&C in June of 2012 and have loved it from day one. We took it on vacation to northern WI and averaged 29.9 MPG for the trip. Our son loves the DVD and the amount of space in the van is great. The only negative thing I can say about the vehicle is that when you accelerate it can be slow to shift. That being said, if performance is important you’re likely not looking at buying a van. $ for $ it is the best van you can buy. One warning, the day after we bought our van we found out we were having another baby….buyer beware ;-)

Far ahead of the others
By unionjack

2012 Chrysler Town and Country Touring-L 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

For the price this Mini van 'cannot' be beaten. Standard items are extras on other vans and cost a great deal of money. Took the T&C on a trip to Florida averaged 29.2 mpg. I find the
quality to be way above average. I have owned a Honda Van in the past and find that even though it was a good vehicle, the T&C is way ahead in overall quality and gas mileage.

Love the GPS and Back-up camera. Have taken the Grandchildren on a long trip, thanks to the DVD,s we hardly knew that they were there. Love the 'stow' seating.

None as this is the last year made.