2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:
Never Again
By blackhawkqt on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van new in 2005. We have had nothing but problems with it. It was in the shop 52 times just in the first 2 years. The dealer would not take it back and Chrysler customer service actually hung up on me when I called to find out what they would do about it! It did not fall under the lemon law because the same thing did not brake 4+ times or the vehicle was not completely disabled for 30+ days. The electric system dies without warning, electric doors work sometimes (only one key entry on driver door), a/c has to be fixed every summer, drivetrain nothing but issues since warranty was up, goes through brakes every year because of faulty design. Do NOT buy this vehicle!

Brakes and Batteries
By ksimpson on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Limited 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have loved my 2005 T&C. I refer to it as the "mother ship" and it has been used extensively for hauling my child and friends everywhere. My van has 97,000 miles and has had mainly normal maintenance. My biggest complaints are the brakes (reworked at least 3 times with 7 sets of brake pads..and needs it again) and my battery. I have now replaced the battery 3 times. My husband blames it on the power drain because of the doors. Also, I have had some issues with shocks/struts and now have a grinding/clicking sound when I turn steering wheel sharply. Love the room and stow n go. Would love a better vehicle with this kind of space and will be in the market in another year.

Break repair list with every oil change
By Dad of Two on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Limited 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Every oil change there is a list of expensive items to repair. I bring in my little $32 oil change coupon, and leave with a $500-$800 bill. An earlier reviewer wrote this, and I completely agree with the Dad of four -- this is true in my case as well.

Great Van
By Eric on 08/09/10 11:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Limited 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Owned for 5 years and 68,000 miles. Replaced brakes, tires, filters, battery, plugs, wires and egr valve. This has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It's not sexy but it works better than I ever expected. Stow and go is awesome. Kids love the DVD and wife loves the navigation. Styling is good, performance is adequate and flexibility is excellent. I've never tried to haul anything that doesn't fit in this van.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By Ed on 08/05/10 11:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van with 25K miles on it and at the time I just wanted to see what American automakers had to offer. I now know why the Honda & Toyota minivans are more expensive. In 3 years, I've replaced a rack & Pinion, 3 water pumps, an airbag switch, and a power window switch. Unfortunately, the reliability just is not there. I've owned 2 Honda's and 1 Suzuki and I've never had these kind of problems. First & last time I buy American. I'm trading this junk in for a Honda Odyssey first chance I get. Only positive, the highway gas mileage is excellent. I went from central PA to the North Carolina Outerbanks on 2 tanks of gas.

Best Bang for the Buck
By Rich on 07/29/10 23:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Limited 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We traded a '03 F-150 S/C truck for our minivan with the addition of our third child. Best thing we ever did. This van is so versatile with Stow-n-go seats that I was able to haul 2x4s, sheet rock, and insulation when doing remodeling projects at my house. We have only had issues with the power sliding doors after our teenage boys open them too hard and end up breaking the sensor. Just did tires and brakes at 55,000 miles and currently have just over 60K. We intend on driving this for at least the next 4 years or until the wheels fall off. By far the best bang for the buck. BTW Rear seat DVD package, lifesaver on long road trips.

Excellent quality
By Tammy on 04/06/10 14:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Limited 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with only 11,000 miles on it, from a rental pool. I have not had any major repairs, and it is now at 78,000 miles. It has traveled from Washington State to Rapid City, SD, multiple times, getting from 18-24 mpg. It hauls kids, dogs, and yard waste, just as well as a truck does. The stow and go seats are heaven. I can set up for grandkids in five minutes, take it down to haul recycle materials in the next five minutes. If people are complaining about this van, it must be due to poor care and maintenance. I have taken my van in and literally used the book for all its servicing, and as I said, no major issues at all.

Never again
By eastchain on 04/02/10 10:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Touring 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Starts and drives well, but that is the only thing that works on the van without issues. seats are not comfortable, electrical switches don't work intermittently, rear window blew out, ABS system disabled itself 1000 miles after warranty period, EGR failed at 50K miles, A/C doesn't work again now with 86K miles, airbag recall, tire pressure sensors fail, just seems like one thing after another, not even to 100k miles yet.

Rock Solid Performer
By Mark Smith on 02/15/10 10:05 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Limited 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ours has 123,000 KM and that's Canadian driving consisting of hot summers, and pot hole ridden cold winter climes. I have had ZERO transmission problems. Van works like a charm. One brake job, a battery, and front stabilizer bushings. It's been across Canada once and between Halifax, Nova Scotia and Daytona Beach, Florida five times. I've loaded it to the gunnels, pulled trailers, have three kids, a german shepherd ... nothing breaks ... nothing. I'm really wondering about some of the posts, I mean "paint coming off radio buttons" - they're black plastic !!! Chrysler has sold 12 million minivans - more than everyone else combined. There's a reason ....

Never again
By Jack on 12/22/09 21:09 PM (PST)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Touring 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Gave domestic another chance when purchasing this Van. Good for first couple of years, then things started falling apart (cheap plastics in and out). Power steering issues, brakes replaced twice, and now the van is burning 1 qt. of oil every 1k miles. I maintain the car according to the owners manual (change oil every 3K, etc...). Chrysler corporate says the oil consumption is within 'acceptable' range - crazy.