Used 2003 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chrysler Town-and-country - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

Steering/Front end problems.
By BEK

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Rack & pinion failed at 55,000 miles due to bad seals in the pump reservoir cost $800. In my life time I have never replaced this item on any car. One month later I have front shocks and swaybar problem,cost $998 to repair. This is my last American car.

Favorite Features

Removable rear seats for extra loading room.

6th mini-van .. and will buy again
By Michael

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 6th Chrysler mini-van. We have had one since the day Chrysler introduced min-vans. Really. This one is the same as the rest. Reliable, great on mileage for what it does (got 26 on the highway last week at 65 MPH with a van load of stuff), comfortable. Wish this one had the towing package and self-leveling my 2001 had. Kids are gone now and this is still my choice for most flexible 'car'. full leather seats during the week and a full load of sheet rock or lumber on the weekend. And she never complains. I'd get a newer model but there's nothing wrong with this one so why trade side-ways?

Suggested Improvements

Hate the new body style, go back. Please.

great for the money
By KIM

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LX Family Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I really love my T&C. It drives just like a car, it handles very well. It is very comfortable on long rides, it quit and smooth. The inside is very roomy, and looks good. There are four 12-point power points, which is nice. I absolutely love the center console, tt is big, with many compartments and can even be moved in between the two captain seats in the back. Some cons are, that the column shifter is too big, it blocks some radio controls, and sticks out like a sore thumb. The automatic sliding door is very nice when your hands are full, but when you open/close manually it is very hard to do. I also notice that the outside panels are very thin, they dent VERY easily.

Favorite Features

dvd, sliding door, how it drives

Suggested Improvements

body panels

Somewhat disappointed
By smartinginMN

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

As a pre S & G van it would have been nice for the middle row seats to fit the rear positions as they recline and taller people could have good leg room. The console design is not too well thought out. Too rounded and could have had its' own cup holders. At just under 95,000 miles we had to replace the a/c compressor, alternator and belt slack adjuster. The front strut bearings are very clunky. Fuel economy so-so. We drove the heck out of a Mercedes Vito van in Europe (up to 100 mph/160 kph on the autobahn, in and out of small and large towns) and the 6 cylinder diesel engine gave us 27 mpg with 7 passengers and luggage. I believe that engine is now in one jeep model and a MC sedan.

Favorite Features

AWD, power doors and hatch, 12 way seat.

Suggested Improvements

We will not be able to buy another Chrysler van unless the the stow and go becomes optional (we don't like their rear seats) and they can again offer AWD. I have read reviews that refer to the Chrysler engine as being coarse and I believe it. Even the Kia engine runs smoother.

Too many trips to the dealer...
By LPG

2003 Chrysler Town and Country EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

With 55,000 miles on this van, we have become all too familiar with the mechanics at our local dealership. At least 4 visits for front end work, including replacing the sway bars, bushings, power steering rack, & stabilizer bar. Today it's in for transmission work. I am very disappointed. Would not recommend a Town & Country to anyone.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

A front end that does not fall apart! Also revisit the transmission. It's a problem Chrysler has had for years, but I had heard they were past it. Guess not.