2003 Chrysler Town and Country - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:
Great used car
By Great on 05/08/09 11:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van used with 38,000 miles on it. It will go past 100,000 miles this weekend on a road trip. Never been in the shop once. Just oil changes. Very reliable van and very nice inside.

2003 Lxi owner review
By Fred Nelson on 04/27/09 07:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just traded my 2003 Lxi in on a 2009 Limited. The 2003 was a good, dependable van for the most part. I had to replace suspension bushings and the power steering pump and reservoir. We got about 19 mpg around town and 23.5 to 25 mpg on the road, depending on the wind.

Disappointed
By sambrijmom on 03/30/09 13:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LX Family Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I was really excited about this vehicle when I first bought. But after 5 years and the money I've sank into I'll never buy another one again. The steering whines when it's cold and the only way to fix it is to spend $400. The gas tank is going to need replaced because the valve that's broken is inside the tank. My mechanic said that for the past 2 weeks he's had a Dodge or Chrysler minivan in with problems. I still like my minivan but it seems like every month I'm in the body shop for something else.

REALLY delighted
By WhoKnowsJack on 02/08/09 11:12 AM (PST)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LX Family Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second T&C. The first went 8 years without a repair. This one was fine until this year when I've had a flurry of repairs -- clean air system, trans module, power steering pump and alternator. Still, at 76,000 miles, it's been cheap to own. It's not a city car; in downtown Chicago, I got 11.5 mpg. Here in Tucson, with more open roads, I get 24 mpg when the A/C is off. That's great for a big vehicle with the 3.8 liter engine. But even better is the ride. In mountains, I just gear down to '3' and go up and down smoothly and quietly, even at 80 mph (I had this up to 120 mph on a flat road in Texas). Prefer driving this to my BMW convert (except for top down days, of course).

Bad Van
By Bad Van on 01/01/09 19:56 PM (PST)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van has been horrible. We bought it slightly used with only 15K miles. Got a great deal because it had depreciated so much from new (wonder why). At 28K miles the starter went out and was replaced by warranty. At 36,800 miles the power steering pump went out and they refused to fix it because the warranty had just expired even though Chrysler issued a service bulletin about it. Since then the AC compressor went out to the tune of nearly $1K. Water pump went out, electric gremlins with the engine management, and now the transmission is slipping. It has just shy of 70K miles on the clock. Gets average of 19mpg and is slow as molasses. Can't wait to get rid of it!

Steering/Front end problems.
By BEK on 12/16/08 10:02 AM (PST)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Rack & pinion failed at 55,000 miles due to bad seals in the pump reservoir cost $800. In my life time I have never replaced this item on any car. One month later I have front shocks and swaybar problem,cost $998 to repair. This is my last American car.

6th mini-van .. and will buy again
By Michael on 10/24/08 05:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 6th Chrysler mini-van. We have had one since the day Chrysler introduced min-vans. Really. This one is the same as the rest. Reliable, great on mileage for what it does (got 26 on the highway last week at 65 MPH with a van load of stuff), comfortable. Wish this one had the towing package and self-leveling my 2001 had. Kids are gone now and this is still my choice for most flexible 'car'. full leather seats during the week and a full load of sheet rock or lumber on the weekend. And she never complains. I'd get a newer model but there's nothing wrong with this one so why trade side-ways?

great for the money
By KIM on 09/14/08 09:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LX Family Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I really love my T&C. It drives just like a car, it handles very well. It is very comfortable on long rides, it quit and smooth. The inside is very roomy, and looks good. There are four 12-point power points, which is nice. I absolutely love the center console, tt is big, with many compartments and can even be moved in between the two captain seats in the back. Some cons are, that the column shifter is too big, it blocks some radio controls, and sticks out like a sore thumb. The automatic sliding door is very nice when your hands are full, but when you open/close manually it is very hard to do. I also notice that the outside panels are very thin, they dent VERY easily.

Somewhat disappointed
By smartinginMN on 06/21/08 16:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

As a pre S & G van it would have been nice for the middle row seats to fit the rear positions as they recline and taller people could have good leg room. The console design is not too well thought out. Too rounded and could have had its' own cup holders. At just under 95,000 miles we had to replace the a/c compressor, alternator and belt slack adjuster. The front strut bearings are very clunky. Fuel economy so-so. We drove the heck out of a Mercedes Vito van in Europe (up to 100 mph/160 kph on the autobahn, in and out of small and large towns) and the 6 cylinder diesel engine gave us 27 mpg with 7 passengers and luggage. I believe that engine is now in one jeep model and a MC sedan.

Too many trips to the dealer...
By LPG on 03/19/08 07:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

With 55,000 miles on this van, we have become all too familiar with the mechanics at our local dealership. At least 4 visits for front end work, including replacing the sway bars, bushings, power steering rack, & stabilizer bar. Today it's in for transmission work. I am very disappointed. Would not recommend a Town & Country to anyone.