2002 Chrysler Town and Country - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:
Very good vehicle
By quad cities on 04/02/10 16:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van used with 30,000 miles on it. Great car! Comfortable, fuel efficient, 18 in town, 23-25 mpg on highway. 107,000 miles on it now. Lately, it's needing few repairs, but up until the last six months, almost no unexpected upkeep. Considering a new vehicle, but this one performs so well, I can't find anything else I want. After reading all these reviews, I feel really lucky to have gotten a great van.

wish me luck!
By LoboNoMad on 01/13/10 11:16 AM (PST)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LXi AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

okay so i just inherited this vehicle, had 110k miles on it and was trashed. With a little tlc and a basic tune-up, along with a k&n drop-in air filter it's running like a top! I'm getting 20mpg in town and it feels solid as can be. It had a busted power window which i had fixed and the turn signal switch had to be replaced, but otherwise everything works like new. I don't know much about it's history and how well it was taken care of, but I'm hoping I can get another 50 or 60 k out of it before anything major breaks down.

186,000 + miles and no major problems
By GMA on 12/30/09 15:41 PM (PST)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our van new in Nov. 2001. It is the best vehicle we've ever owned. We get 35-40 mpg on the highway, less in city traffic. Avg. about 25 mpg overall. We have over 186,000 miles on our van and have only had a couple of problems. The motor on the sliding door quit at 125,000 mi, nice feature but we didn't feel we needed to replace it so had it disconnected. Low speeds on blower fan quit, just had that fixed. Take the seats out and you can get a whole dorm room or small apartment packed in it.

No problems in 7 years
By Best I ever owned on 07/22/09 09:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van because it has lots of pickup with a 3.8L engine and was fun to drive with lots of room. We often fill it up with stuff for the lake trip to our cabin. The leather seats and great visibility for any size driver are great.This car has lots of miles on it and we have never had a major problem with it. It is in contrast to my Suv which lost air conditioning with high mileage and age.

Love this van
By sls on 04/30/09 10:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van with 6,000 miles, nearly new. Have gone long-distance cross country with family of 5 w/ lots of luggage with comfort, and MANY miles in town as the family/team taxi. Great visibility. Holds 7 with field hockey gear-even goalie bag!Still gets 23 mpg on hilly highway and 20 mpg in town at 108,000 miles! One sliding door motor replaced under standard warranty, new torque converter at 83,000 miles; otherwise normal wear and tear items only. EASY to drive, and to park considering its length. Previously owned a GMC conversion van and this one is so much easier to drive, much more like a car but hauls sofas and dressers, too! Seats cumbersome to remove/store when hauling space needed.

great van
By Leonard on 08/02/08 07:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great van, were going to trade it in on a new van, but have decided to keep this one a while longer. We have maintained as anyone should, and it has taken care of us as well. Did have one condenser replaced along with switch in the dash, along with a minor transmission leak that was covered under warranty. Just returned from a 4500 mile trip and averaged 21.7 mpg, driving around 67 mph.

Great Car
By MS on 07/14/08 06:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This was my 2nd Chrysler van and will buy another one in the next few days. It has withstood anything kids and adults could do to it and showed little wear. We have driven long distances with great comfort. Has withstood 96K miles with minor problems that could happen to any vehicle. We did have to replace the driver window motor once. Safety wise it's great as it was rear ended (totaled) by a semi traveling at high speed on a freeway and my 3 grandkids and I walked away without serious injury.

Wouldn't buy this car again
By KD on 06/30/08 11:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Had a '98 Town & Country and was dumb enough to get a 2002 thinking in would be better. Both vans had odor problems with a/c - moldy. Chrysler said they couldn't smell anything. Both vans had the ignition cylinders go bad twice. I was stranded 4 times. The 2002 only has 53,000 miles (but repairs make it seem like $153,000) I've paid for passenger window motor to be replaced ($400), ignition cylinder 2X ($389), wires in crankshaft harness damaged from heat exposure manifold ($400), rack & pinion needs replacing ($1,000) Heater blower wouldn't turn off ($239), cracks in canister hose $130, replaced battery 2X, brakes replaced, serpentine belt replaced 2X, sliding door latch replaced.

Great van but not over 90,000 miles
By lemondog on 05/24/08 20:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I owned my T&C for 3 years...and I loved every minute of it! We purchased this van used with 61,000 miles and never had a big problem other than one issue with the power steering. But once we got over 90,000 miles it started literally coming apart at the seams. The plastic on the bottom of the driver's seat popped off. All the rear brake lights stopped working except for one. The speedometer died. Then the engine started knocking, and we knew it was time to get out fast. I loved all the features of this van, its comfort, the way it drove, etc. But the number of problems we began facing around 90,000 miles was just too many to justify keeping this vehicle.

Stay Away
By pamcomeau on 05/24/08 16:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van used, but felt confident because of reviews we've read online. The van is beautiful and comes with just about every creature comfort I could imagine. However, we have also encountered every mechanical problem you can imagine. Brakes wear out very fast, gas mileage is terrible. We average 11 mpg in the city and 15 mpg on the highway. We've lost the air-bag clockpring twice, the check engine light comes on all the time, air-conditioner had to be replaced twice, too many issues to list. I would never purchase another one. Definitely not the car for these economic times, either. But it is pretty and you can fit just about the whole soccer team in there.