2002 Chrysler Town and Country - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:
Wife loves it, mechanicals are good
By billgrissom on 03/29/13 23:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought at 150K mi, currently 195K. Top of line w/ features I would never pay for new. Engine is dependable pushrod type and still like new. Only major problem was a cracked flex-plate, requiring transmission removal, so I rebuilt the tranny. It was perfect inside w/ <2 mil wear on all clutch plates. Maybe rebuilt before, though no sticker. Engine wiring was degraded near exhaust. Common high-end problems - erratic electric doors, auto-temp blower "resistor" failed, CD changer flashes, trans cooler hoses leaked (dealer-installed tow package), heated seats stopped, TPMS dings bother messages and not paying $50/wheel to change batteries every 5 years.

Nice.. untill it falls apart!
By starr7 on 09/05/12 06:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

You would think if you serviced you vehicle on time every time it would last..not so with this van. Sliding doors broke,arm rests fell off,power steering hose kept breaking almost wrecked on interstate,heated seats stop working,ate through brakes and rotors,tires costantly,shocks went bad,poor gas mileage,I kept taking it back to the dealer they would reset this reset that. transmission needed replaced at 109,000.

239,785 and still going strong
By kahler93 on 06/12/12 00:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LXi AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this van for a while now and besides the normal tune ups no major problem never broke down once and when driving you would not know that it has almost 240,000 miles on it rides smooth awesome throttle response and doesent even feel like your driving a van almost feels like a car by the way it handles id give it a 10 out of 10

A well enginnered car
By mattersnot on 05/28/11 04:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this van for 8 years. Everything is still original, less tires, water pump, and tune-ups. It has 230,000 miles on it. Does NOT use oil, and still runs perfectly. I am purchasing another Chrysler van next year if I can allow myself to sell this one. I read the reviews above and concluded the vans were abused and not taken care of. I know of two other people who also have this van, and they LOVE them. These vans are used by N.Y.C. Taxis, and other companies as fleet vehicles because they are so dependable. Med Van, has 300 of them and use them as transport vehicles for patients. thus, very dependable.

Great Van
By dsmooth on 08/17/10 05:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the van as an extra family spare. It is fun to drive and spacious enough to accommodate 6 adults on a 3 hour trip without any complaints. The van is usually driven around town to run errands and I enjoy driving it to work as much as my SUV. The van has 120,000 miles and you can't hear the engine run and it is quiet on the road. The left side automatic door doesn't operate but besides that we haven't had any problems. One of the best car purchases I've ever made.

This van is not your answer!
By Adam on 08/14/10 12:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The brakes last 6 months at best but the rotors have to replaced because they are thin and cheaply made and warp so bad they cause the vehicle to shake violently in the front end during braking. The suspension mainly the front is light weight flimsy steal and all the components fail because this is a very heavy vehicle with light duty junk parts. The windows will not work due to shorting out and you guessed it cheap window motors made in some third world country. Tires are destroyed by this vehicles poor suspension. Try a set a year! The rubber seals around the windows will work loose and fly off down the road. You will pay dearly for gas! The motor is loud and rattles.

Overwhelmed with disappointment
By Not so Impressed on 07/18/10 12:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Obviously seeing these reviews indicates significant quality control issues. We purchased vehicle new and things went well for the first year. From time to time, noticed issues with one of the rear doors not closing with the electronic motor, but everything has gone down since then. 15 days after warranty expired, had to replace the spark plugs and wires. Constant power drain led to replacing 2 computers. rear doors do not close reliably. rear door locks do not work. Transmission issues Passenger map light has melted. Starting issues, Interior has started falling apart The only thing worse than the car is the local dealer service department. DO NOT BUY!

204K Miles and still going!
By 204K Miles on 06/03/10 07:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used a few years ago just as a second car until we paid off our other one. WOW! It had 175,000 miles on it but we were okay with that. It now has 204K miles and it's still going. I have never seen any other US car still drive with that many miles. We did have to replace the brakes twice and the A/C went out twice but I can't complain. We made a 13 hour drive for vacation in it with no problems. It's very comfortable and was well worth the $2,000 paid. We definitely got our money's worth.

Excellent for the money
By Brooke Sutton on 05/12/10 18:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great family vehicle for us. We've done regular maintenance and have had NO major repairs at all. We're over 100,000 now and still going strong. We were going to trade in before 100K but decided it was in too good of shape to let go of. Still drives really good and look great too!

Very good vehicle
By quad cities on 04/02/10 16:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Town and Country LX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van used with 30,000 miles on it. Great car! Comfortable, fuel efficient, 18 in town, 23-25 mpg on highway. 107,000 miles on it now. Lately, it's needing few repairs, but up until the last six months, almost no unexpected upkeep. Considering a new vehicle, but this one performs so well, I can't find anything else I want. After reading all these reviews, I feel really lucky to have gotten a great van.