Used 1999 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

Mine experience better than most reviews
By joseph humphrey

1999 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought this used for cash when I needed something to transport my elderly father in a wheelchair. I also haul a lot of gear in my jobs as a freelance photographer and part time live sound engineer. Other than std junk that needs replacing like starters, brakes the only issue has been some odd electrical quirks. The remote door control stopped working, not because of fob, but the onboard computer. The alarm would trigger about 1/3 of the time when entering. Finally gave up and pulled fuse on horn. Utterly boring vehicle to drive, but its a van. Mine way more reliable than reports suggest. I did run full synthetic oil and think that may have helped get 200K+ miles on it. You can haul a ton of stuff and it's fairly comfortable. The Infinity sound system is not bad at all. The 3.8 makes decent power. But it's a bit thirsty. With conservative driving I could only manage 20 mpg. maybe not terrible considering size of vehicle. And for a minivan, I think this version looked pretty good. I like the curvy design better than the new ones. I had some fancy SUV's prior to this and while they may have looked 'better' the van was ultimately more practical. Serously, way more usable space than 'midsize' SUV I didn't enjoy driving it, but it totally fulfilled it's mission.

Great For Family
By prhea1st

1999 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Limited 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

This a a great family car for long trips. seems to have a lot of power going up the hills. Suspension is a little soft in the rear when loaded. Not designed to tow but has a tow package for probably a small utility type trailer

Fron and rear climate control is a huge plus. Someone is always to hot or cold on a trip. AWD a big plus with winter conditions over the mountains. Very reliable, Tracks well only on second set of tires since new. Regular maint and oil changes seem to keep it happy. Replaced alt/ at 50k miles which I thought was a little early, but other than that. Very Good.

Would love to have had the built in DVD ssystem and another gear for better gas mileage like the newer ones.

Only 95k miles
By prhea1st

1999 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

After regular maint/ it has now lived past its peak. New transmission/CV axels/ Driveline/ Radiators/ Major Tune Ups/ etc... The repairs are worth more than the blue book value now. Time to bail out.... Yeah and the rear leaf springs are riding on the bump stops now and we dont tow anything..... Kids put all the strain on the rear leafs??? Doubt it- poor quality.

Ours was loaded- except navigation.

Navigation-GPS/ Better drivers Seat adjustments/ Way better leaf springs!! Better radiator components-better sealing of wiring components needed under the hood, back up sensors needed...Needs a way better transmission!

Best Car I've Owned except transmission
By George Caldwell

1999 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

I bought this car when I saw a private seller park it in a shopping center. I drove it and loved it. It is the most comfortable car I have ever had. I am 6'5" and don't fit in most cars these days. This one is a joy to drive, first class all the way. I wish they had the transmission worked out, I'm on the third one.

All the luxuries, the separate climate controls, the comfortable seats, the great sound system, the fuel economy (I get 21 mpg on an annual figure), and the great electronic temp/mpg/display.

This had a new transmission before I bought it, I had to replace one, and now it needs another (soon). What a shame on such a great car.

Great Vehicle
By Kentuckian

1999 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Limited 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought this vehicle used with 60,000 miles on it. It has without a doubt been the best most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. It now has 140,000 miles on it and still going strong. Very reliable, practically no repairs outside of normal wear ie breaks, etc. Fuel mileage is very acceptable for such a large vehicle and 6 cylinder - about 25 on the highway. Also, I don't know how to explain it better, but it is just geared perfectly. It is a solid road vehicle, but when you need to pass or get extra power quickly - it will immediately gear down and give you the appropriate power and drive you need; better than any other vehicle I've owned. You can't go wrong with this vehicle.

Styling, room, comfort, amenities, great stereo, very very reliable, good power yet good fuel mileage for such a large vehicle.

None