1998 Chrysler Town and Country - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:
disappointed
By rhodes on 04/06/05 02:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

this van is all looks and luxury with no durability. i started noticing electrical problems, little lights on the radio going out. no problem at first. then automatic doorlocks went out. brake-light came on when i turned. open door alarm came on during driving even though all doors were closed. the week before i traded it off, it became obvious that this van was heading for a major breakdown. the battery went completely dead and after i replaced it the airconditioner and rear-window heater didn't work anymore. i had it at chrysler repair-shops at different times and they couldn't find any problems. this van had 130,000 miles on it when i traded it in, but i expected more of that car.

1998 Chrysler Town & Country LXi
By mwalker on 01/23/05 15:29 PM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This is an excellent van to drive - quiet, roomy, powerful, and comfortable. We bought this to replaced an Audi sedan, and our young kids loved the extra space from day one. The Town & Country is a distinct step up from the Grand Caravan/Voyager; it's option- laden with no compromises. It feels very solid and well-made, and equally at home on the highway or in the city. Mileage is only so-so, but that pretty much comes with the territory with such a large and roomy vehicle. If earlier years had any quirks or problems, they seem to be gone by the 1998 model. We've put in routine maintenance only, it's been trouble free.

first van a success
By First time van man on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Finally grew up and bought a van for carpooling. Overall an excellent vehicle. Catastrophic transmission failure at 90K miles. Wife has enjoyed roominess. Beautiful exterior styling. Very comfortable to drive. Great gold paint job- never been waxed and still maintains its original sheen. Poor quality leather used in seats - cracked terribly within one year.

minivan
By georgenglish on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country SX 4dr Minivan

Good all around vehicle

Recent problems
By jjrudy on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan

88,000 miles evaporator under the dash had to be replaced: $675 92,000 new transmission and axle: $3500 93,000 new computer and other related equipment: $1400 Annually new brakes: $70 Biannually new roters: $100 Until recently this car has been reliable but now it is a drain on my finances. I had a 92 minivan and put in 2 transmissions. I don't think I will buy another chrysler product ever again.

Loved Owning It
By CHJ on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

I'm about to trade in my 98 Town and Country for a newer, but used, one. Except for wishing it had a moon roof, its lower ground clearance than my previous Toyota Previa had, and wishing the 3rd row seats folded down flat into the floorboard, there's not a thing I would change. Now that it's got about 80,000 miles on it, I'm looking at a 2000-2002 upgrade of the same vehicle.

Chrysler Mini van
By Cape Girl on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Excellent vehicle to drive. Love the heated seats! Air conditioning is excellent in front and back.

Nice Car But Loud Idle Rattle
By Ricky in Oklahoma on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought our van used with 76,000 miles. It is a pleasure to drive and we love the comfort inside. We have taken several long trips in it and it performed marvelously. We now have 138,000 miles and are looking at buying another used van.

Lots of Miles and I still love it!
By Computer App Guy on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This is the second Town and Country I've owned and with 91,000 miles on it, I can report it has been virtually trouble free. Far superior build quality to my first one (1994). One electronic component and one speaker have been replaced, both under waranty, but that's it for unscheduled work. The overall comfort of the ride for driver and passengers is what makes this a pleasure to drive. Long trips are a breeze in this vehicle.

98 Chrysler Town & Country
By William Cartwright on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I've had just routine maintenance problems with it, except for problems with my door locking system and loss of power to transmission shifter and cruise control, all of which I've had fixed twice. My major complaint is lack of power and so-so gas mileage (21.2 combined).