Used 1997 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

Road Runner
By Lou Hancherick

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

This is the third Chrysler built AWD van that I have owned. By far this is the best one yet and all of them were better than any SUV (Stupid Useless Vehicles) I often drive to Texas Louisanna, and Florida from Pennslvania and this T&C can be driven all day in pure comfort. I have put 22,000 miles on this vehicle without any major problems. Too bad Chrysler is no longer building vans with the AWD option. I might have to switch to a Toyota but would rather buy American.

The All Wheel Drive as I live on a mountain and without AWD I can't get in or out in the Winter. Also, the seats in this T&C are the most comfortable I have ever had in a vehicle.

Poor placment of the warning lights - the steering wheel blocks the view. The turn signal "on" warning buzzer needs to be much louder.

Incredibly reliable vehicle
By Teresa Brown

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We just didn't have any significant problems with this workhorse vehicle. At 105,000 miles, it has never broken down. I simply don't have any complaints.

The space--this will hold everything!

The brakes are a little squishy, so don't tailgate!

Terrible transmissions
By Greg Goode

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We owned a Dodge caravan before this T&C. We put 2 transmissions in it in 100,000 miles. We were skeptical about buying another Chrylsler van but we talked to the service manager at the dealership and he assured us that Chrysler had fixed their transmission problems, WRONG, Wrong and WRONG. We put 3 new transmissions in the 67,000 miles that we've had the van.WE bought it used with 53,000 miles so it could have had more go bad. You might think that maybe it is our driving habits but in our 55 yrs of driving experience these 2 Chrylser vans are the only transmissions we have ever had go bad. We are selling this hunk of transmission junk ASAP and will never buy another Chrysler product.

Comfort, leather seats

Transmissions,Transmissions, Transmissions. The windsheild wipers also come on by themselves. The bushing on the front end wear out and make a popping noise

Still the King of Minivans
By Alex

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I owned the T/C LXI since 1996 and it's been excellent. So far, only regular oil change and scheduled maintenance. It's very comfort to drive and to sit inside as passenger. I later installed a DVD and I plan to install a rear view camera too. Then I don't need to buy a new one for another 8 years I hope.

Memory seat.

Put a optional 8th passenger seat at the middle row.

Transmission Fixed?
By Elderchuck

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan

This is our fifth Chrysler mini van because it is a comfortable ride and large space. Mileage is disappointing and never buy one without power train extended warranty. This is also our tenth transmission (two each).

Seat adjustments and sound system.

Transmission and rattles.