1997 Chrysler Town and Country - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:
1997 Town and Country LXi
By stan73 on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Having owned 89 ES , 94 ES AWD This unit drives better, stops much better, is much quieter, window can be rolled down with the wind staying outside. The back seat is too high Lots of room, good tested milage however I would prefer the 3.3 rather than the 3.8 L. any thing for better milage. NOT AS GOOD LOOKING AS 94 ES series. Would have preferred to see the many improvements applied to older body style, which look much more stylish. Good car all around replace your fan belt, find a commerecial welder NON BODY MAN to weld your rusting struts and this unit will be with your for a long time.

T&C Transmissions
By Nasa on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan

My wife loves the drive and efficiency of the T&C vehicle design. We have replaced the transmission 3 times: once just over 36k miles on a trip and Chrysler paid for the parts after our complaint but labor still cost me $1200. Second time at about 54k and third time at 63k. The 3rd time the Chrysler rebuilt transmission was covered for the parts again.

Great T&C
By John Michael Ehlen on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

Although I have heard many bad stories about the T&C we have had very little trouble from ours. After 165000 miles we have done a couple of tune-ups and replaced the brake pads a couple of times. The car is comfortable and reliable.

Great Value #1 Van
By JeremiePereira on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This van is simply great the LXI model has every option you want and need> And what a value

Almost 20 years of Chrysler Minivans
By GaryA on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought one of the first Voyagers built in '84 - this T&C is our third Chrysler minivan, we traded 'em in at 150k miles, this one's got 125k. Have spent many times more on repairs on the '97 T&C as the other two combined! A real disappointment after two great cars we loved. We like this car, but hard to love one that requires frequent repairs. Have to think about it next time, but we will probably buy another T&C when we trade this one in - just hope quality of this model is back to the level it was in the 80's.

Chrysler LXI
By rdsdcd on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Buyer Beware. Make sure you purchase the extended warranty. Had to replace the transmission after 60,000 miles. Both driver and passenger electric window motors had to be replaced. Too many false sensor lights. Other than that, not a bad vehicle.

Town and Country LXI
By ByrdDawg on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought this vehicle at a good price. I've experienced no major problems with it, and I've only had to replace three parts [from normal wear and tear].

Mixed Review
By barrettson on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Average $400-500 repairs every 3 mos. or so. Lots of sensors going bad. Great ride and performance, though.

Never again!
By tdml68 on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I wanted to be a supportive Buy USA citizen, but after my problems with the Chrysler and ALL of the headaches--never again. I should have known after the first week I bought it. The interior was leaking because the rear door seal was leaking. The sliding door was defective. I've had to replace the transmission. I've had to replace the engine The A/C Compressor Ever since I've owned it, there is a high pitch sound when it is driven faster than 60 miles an hour--I hear it but Chrylser never hears it. Amazing. I could go on and on... Stay away from these if you want peace of mind. I am now looking to dump the junk and get a Sienna or Odyssey.

Never again!
By Joelle Crahay on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan

From the start I had problems with that car. One think after another...from major problems such as the AC condensor needing replacement to minor problems such as the mirror falling off while driving I was at the garage monthly the first year. I don't know why I didn't sell it right there, I kekt hoping things would improve. It never did.