1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:
Buyer Beware
By msbiggs30 on 08/03/09 23:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

I bought this van b/c I needed more room for my 3 small children. The first thing to go wrong was the passenger sliding door. It gets stuck sometimes and is hard to open. The wipers have a mind of their own and will usually come on when I turn on the blinker. The ceiling lining is falling down. The passenger window has come off track, but the window motor is still good. I recently took it for a diagnostic check and found that my 2 sensor and EG valve needs replacing. This was the reason that my "check engine" light was on. The cd player no longer works, but the radio is still good. Aside from these flaws it's very comfortable and luxurious feeling. My kids love all the room!!

Great on the Highway
By calbeard on 10/28/08 08:09 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan

Many good things about this van, but the bad points are major: The transmission is, at best good for 50,000 miles. My transmission repair guy says that this type of transmission keeps him in business. I've put in three. Gas mileage is very poor. Open highway we get 16, city 13. Several mechanics say that there is nothing wrong. My full size van with a V-8 got better gas mileage. Brake pads last about six months, tires about a year.

1997 T&C LXI
By billdeb on 05/18/08 07:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought ours used with 90k, very nice van, lost both back window motors, problem with wipers working when it rains (go figure) and just developed brake line leak inside rear wheel manifold. Great family vehicle, fun to drive, we will buy another.

Old but drives great
By ed on 12/02/07 17:47 PM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This vehicle started as a good priced buy. It needed work which I could do and save money. The body was in nice shape but the mechanicals needed more than I expected. Every week for a couple of months it dollared me to death (I have gotten rid of vehicles for giving me less trouble). But I loved the ride and drive. After appx. $1000 in needed work it started to come around. Didn't last long, transmission went out to the tune of $2400. Had it replaced. One major concern from day one. The engine will shut down for appx. a second. If running at highway speeds it will restart. If very slow or stopped it will die completely. But it will restart immediately. This doesn't bother me too much-so far.

Where are the lights
By Ray on 11/27/07 05:28 AM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought this car new and other than regular maintenance haven't had any repair issues. The real problem thought is the lack of headlights. In fact I can't believe that it is legal to sell a car with headlights this bad. We drive all the time with the brights on and never does anyone flash their lights at us. \The dims are completely useless and the brights only slightly better.

Road Runner
By Lou Hancherick on 10/27/05 16:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

This is the third Chrysler built AWD van that I have owned. By far this is the best one yet and all of them were better than any SUV (Stupid Useless Vehicles) I often drive to Texas Louisanna, and Florida from Pennslvania and this T&C can be driven all day in pure comfort. I have put 22,000 miles on this vehicle without any major problems. Too bad Chrysler is no longer building vans with the AWD option. I might have to switch to a Toyota but would rather buy American.

Incredibly reliable vehicle
By Teresa Brown on 08/15/05 20:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We just didn't have any significant problems with this workhorse vehicle. At 105,000 miles, it has never broken down. I simply don't have any complaints.

Terrible transmissions
By Greg Goode on 07/28/05 20:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We owned a Dodge caravan before this T&C. We put 2 transmissions in it in 100,000 miles. We were skeptical about buying another Chrylsler van but we talked to the service manager at the dealership and he assured us that Chrysler had fixed their transmission problems, WRONG, Wrong and WRONG. We put 3 new transmissions in the 67,000 miles that we've had the van.WE bought it used with 53,000 miles so it could have had more go bad. You might think that maybe it is our driving habits but in our 55 yrs of driving experience these 2 Chrylser vans are the only transmissions we have ever had go bad. We are selling this hunk of transmission junk ASAP and will never buy another Chrysler product.

Still the King of Minivans
By Alex on 05/27/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I owned the T/C LXI since 1996 and it's been excellent. So far, only regular oil change and scheduled maintenance. It's very comfort to drive and to sit inside as passenger. I later installed a DVD and I plan to install a rear view camera too. Then I don't need to buy a new one for another 8 years I hope.

Transmission Fixed?
By Elderchuck on 01/13/05 13:00 PM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan

This is our fifth Chrysler mini van because it is a comfortable ride and large space. Mileage is disappointing and never buy one without power train extended warranty. This is also our tenth transmission (two each).