Used 1997 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

Buyer Beware
By msbiggs30

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

I bought this van b/c I needed more room for my 3 small children. The first thing to go wrong was the passenger sliding door. It gets stuck sometimes and is hard to open. The wipers have a mind of their own and will usually come on when I turn on the blinker. The ceiling lining is falling down. The passenger window has come off track, but the window motor is still good. I recently took it for a diagnostic check and found that my 2 sensor and EG valve needs replacing. This was the reason that my "check engine" light was on. The cd player no longer works, but the radio is still good. Aside from these flaws it's very comfortable and luxurious feeling. My kids love all the room!!

Favorite Features

Leather seats, Automatic door locks, Cup holders, Cruise control, Keyless entry, Alarm

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, transmission, wipers, sliding doors.

Great on the Highway
By calbeard

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan

Many good things about this van, but the bad points are major: The transmission is, at best good for 50,000 miles. My transmission repair guy says that this type of transmission keeps him in business. I've put in three. Gas mileage is very poor. Open highway we get 16, city 13. Several mechanics say that there is nothing wrong. My full size van with a V-8 got better gas mileage. Brake pads last about six months, tires about a year.

Favorite Features

Many good things about this van: Seating is good, rear storage space is great, very smooth car like ride, air conditioner very effective, fairly reliable.

Suggested Improvements

A reliable transmission, better gas mileage.

1997 T&C LXI
By billdeb

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought ours used with 90k, very nice van, lost both back window motors, problem with wipers working when it rains (go figure) and just developed brake line leak inside rear wheel manifold. Great family vehicle, fun to drive, we will buy another.

Favorite Features

Sound system is good, lots of outlets for etoys and very roomy..

Suggested Improvements

Fix the wiper problem..

Old but drives great
By ed

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This vehicle started as a good priced buy. It needed work which I could do and save money. The body was in nice shape but the mechanicals needed more than I expected. Every week for a couple of months it dollared me to death (I have gotten rid of vehicles for giving me less trouble). But I loved the ride and drive. After appx. $1000 in needed work it started to come around. Didn't last long, transmission went out to the tune of $2400. Had it replaced. One major concern from day one. The engine will shut down for appx. a second. If running at highway speeds it will restart. If very slow or stopped it will die completely. But it will restart immediately. This doesn't bother me too much-so far.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is good. Ride and drive is great. Lots of room. Upgraded features are enjoyed (trip computer, premium sound, etc.)

Suggested Improvements

Newer models have made vast improvements. Just drive the wheels off of them and enjoy the ride. Don't expect much on a trade-in.

Where are the lights
By Ray

1997 Chrysler Town and Country LX 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought this car new and other than regular maintenance haven't had any repair issues. The real problem thought is the lack of headlights. In fact I can't believe that it is legal to sell a car with headlights this bad. We drive all the time with the brights on and never does anyone flash their lights at us. \The dims are completely useless and the brights only slightly better.

Favorite Features

A van

Suggested Improvements

Headlights