1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:
My deceased 96 Town and Country
By Larry on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This car no doubt is the best car I've owned in 40 years with the exception of a 63 Dodge 440 with a 318cid. I bought this van used with 70,000 miles and I've put another 148,000 more miles on it before it was totaled in a car wreck. I've used this vehicle for sales trips, hauling goats in the back, hauling animal feed, groceries, pulling a camper to the east coast and back, trip to Florida, daily half hour commutes, pulling a fishing boat to remote lakes and getting the rig home again, hauled 4 X 8 sheets of building materials, etc. It had already had its tranny replaced at 40,000 miles and I never had two minutes trouble with mine! What a great vehicle--the best I've ever owned.

Should have had a toyota motor
By gmoney on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Stay away from Chrysler products. This van has served my family well but if I were not smart enough to repair my own vehicle it would have taken a lot of money to maintain.

Don't Knock It Til You Try It
By dreamsalive on 06/29/09 11:01 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I never considered a mini-van until I test drove one. Now I am spoiled to the ride. I paid $6,500 cash for it. Most problems were normal wear, tear & maintenance. I have only had to replace the AC compressor, the radiator and the fuel pump during the time I've had it. Currently I have a minor transmission leak and a slow oil leak as well as the dash lights on the radio & AC controls blink until after driving for a while. I recently experienced a problem with the ignition getting hot. Not sure what that is about. I'll have to get it checked out. Overall, it has been a great vehicle. My van will still ride like new after I fix what's wrong & I'll get another 100,000 miles or so.

Edmund's has it all wrong
By Tom on 04/05/09 18:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I never thought such a lemon could exist. I am on my 3rd transmission, little did I know Chrysler's 4sp automatic only lasts about 60k miles. I found out what a crappy tranny it is from 5 co-workers with Chrysler minivans, some of whom were on their 5th transmission. Little wonder that Daimler changed the trans when they controled the company. If you doubt me, check the internet for people with Chrysler minivan trans problems. Edmunds should be ashamed to rate the transmission problems as minimal.

Great Value
By tsjwally on 02/25/09 07:48 AM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought this one used with 180,000 miles from original owner. Made it another 30000 and the engine called it quits. Replaced due to family liking this one so much. Both front windows had to have motors replaced. Mileage is excellent considering the size of the vehicle. About 22mpg at 70mph loaded down the interstate with a family of 5.

Transmissiosn Problems
By JS on 10/31/08 09:51 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Only at 130,000 and am on the thrid transmission. Replaced first transmission when we hit 90,000 miles, sicne then have been replacing transmission every 2-3 years. Been to several different mechanics, get the same story Chrysler doesn't have a good transmission. At 2000 for repair and towing each time, plan to get rid of it before it happens again. Was great when it was new, not worth it once it starts to go. My family drives all of their vehicles until they will go no further, oldest is an 1981 Chevy truck. It is more reliable then the van at this point. The rear air conditioner blower is also broken, not worth the cost to repair.

My 96 Town and Country LXi
By Adam on 03/15/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

My van had 57,000 miles on it when I got it. Around 80,000 miles it left us stranded. The engine computer outside under the hood went bad. Then a few months later the computer inside the van went bad. Both times it caused the van not to run. The next problem I had was the engine not spinning through when I turned the ignition switch. I replaced the starter. It didn't help. I replaced the ignition switch. It didn't help. Come to find out it was the starter relay in the fuse box under the hood. Also the dimmer switch for the interior lights shorted out and smoked up the van. I haven't had any problems with the engine or transmission. We continue to drive it everyday.

Chrysler Lemon
By Scottie on 02/08/08 18:31 PM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Wish Chrysler had got the quality up to the comfort & special features they included in their 1996 Town & Country Mini-van. When it is running it is an absolute joy to drive, but all the high priced repairs subtract from all the positive things I could say about the Van. Tranny replaced, each of the front windows have fallen into the door, replaced both headlamps because you couldn't see at night, AC has slow leak, it "dings" for 4 minutes without any indication as too what is wrong, now the final straw - the Powertrain computer module is out. I'm going to do a better job researching the next vehicle I purchase and Chrysler will be the last one on my list.

'96 Town and Country LXI
By Glynn on 05/27/07 11:38 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

The Town and Country LXI is a very well built reliable minivan that has tons of room. This van is very comfortable and has that extra pick up you are looking for on the highways. The gas mileage is OK at about 18 in the city and 24 on the highway. I would highly recommend this van to anyone that wants a lot of room and style.

not a good reliable vehicle
By greg mitchell on 03/04/07 09:55 AM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

My 96 Town and Country, i have put more money into the van than it is worth from new air conditioner to new main computer, it has left me stranded every time, too many sensors that make it turn off, and then back to the mechanics shop it goes for another 1000 dollar bill. Now 6 months after the new computer it has done it again, just another day out with the fam and boom off it goes again, back to shop with this one maybe I'll sell it and buy a Toyota or a Mazda or even a Ford, anything but a Chrysler. Oh ya Ive only had it for 2 and a half and total bill has been $2,300 not to mention the tranny leaks and bad gas mileage. So no I won't rate this a reliable vehicle you're better off walking.

1 2 3 4 5 next »