Used 1996 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

My deceased 96 Town and Country
By Larry

1996 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This car no doubt is the best car I've owned in 40 years with the exception of a 63 Dodge 440 with a 318cid. I bought this van used with 70,000 miles and I've put another 148,000 more miles on it before it was totaled in a car wreck. I've used this vehicle for sales trips, hauling goats in the back, hauling animal feed, groceries, pulling a camper to the east coast and back, trip to Florida, daily half hour commutes, pulling a fishing boat to remote lakes and getting the rig home again, hauled 4 X 8 sheets of building materials, etc. It had already had its tranny replaced at 40,000 miles and I never had two minutes trouble with mine! What a great vehicle--the best I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Reliability, plain and simple, is my favorite feature on this model.

Suggested Improvements

Could I have another 96 like this one for the next 10 years?

Should have had a toyota motor
By gmoney

1996 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Stay away from Chrysler products. This van has served my family well but if I were not smart enough to repair my own vehicle it would have taken a lot of money to maintain.

Favorite Features

strong engine, lots of room, stylish, loved the design

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler, Dodge, Ford and all of the other builders of crap don't try to make another vehicle, ever.

Don't Knock It Til You Try It
By dreamsalive

1996 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I never considered a mini-van until I test drove one. Now I am spoiled to the ride. I paid $6,500 cash for it. Most problems were normal wear, tear & maintenance. I have only had to replace the AC compressor, the radiator and the fuel pump during the time I've had it. Currently I have a minor transmission leak and a slow oil leak as well as the dash lights on the radio & AC controls blink until after driving for a while. I recently experienced a problem with the ignition getting hot. Not sure what that is about. I'll have to get it checked out. Overall, it has been a great vehicle. My van will still ride like new after I fix what's wrong & I'll get another 100,000 miles or so.

Favorite Features

Electronic driver side seats, front & rear AC, 4 captain chairs, CD & cassette allows me to connect an iPod, removable seats, comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Could use middle windows that open or let down.

Edmund's has it all wrong
By Tom

1996 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I never thought such a lemon could exist. I am on my 3rd transmission, little did I know Chrysler's 4sp automatic only lasts about 60k miles. I found out what a crappy tranny it is from 5 co-workers with Chrysler minivans, some of whom were on their 5th transmission. Little wonder that Daimler changed the trans when they controled the company. If you doubt me, check the internet for people with Chrysler minivan trans problems. Edmunds should be ashamed to rate the transmission problems as minimal.

Favorite Features

Space for passengers and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the mileage. With the technology that exits, there is no excuse for minivans not getting at least 30 mpg highway. Also, reimburse customers who had to replace that clunker of a 4 sp auto transmission.

Great Value
By tsjwally

1996 Chrysler Town and Country LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought this one used with 180,000 miles from original owner. Made it another 30000 and the engine called it quits. Replaced due to family liking this one so much. Both front windows had to have motors replaced. Mileage is excellent considering the size of the vehicle. About 22mpg at 70mph loaded down the interstate with a family of 5.

Favorite Features

Great comfort. mileage excellent for large vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing considering how old the vehicle is already.