2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
If you are looking to buy one, read this first.
By coyote102076 on 03/18/14 10:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

First thing you need to understand is that yes, there has been issues with oil sludge in these engines in the past. However, I very seriously relate this directly to brand/type of oil more than bad design. If it was an engineering error, why then do soooo many of these surpass 200k+ miles. Have a competent mechanic check the engine before you buy the car. If no sludge, then you are good to go. Just use Shell Rotella 5w30 from that point on and you will not have issues. ( And I do not work for nor "endorse" Rotella, just stating the pure fact) Now, engine aside, the rest of this car is fantastic! Touring model ride is a bit on the stiff side though. (Compared to the base & LX models)

Best Mistake I ever Made.
By fionafirst on 03/09/14 19:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Touring Platinum Series 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I had 5 grand to send on a used car at the age of 18, and went to the dealership and test drove this lovely convertible. Before doing any Vehicle History Reports I bought the car, it was a gut decision. It was a stupid risk to take but I am sure gald I took it. The car has power, don't let the low displacement number fool you, it can get up and go quickly The road noise is low with the top up, and the roof never leaks even in the worst rain Nothing has broken other than the rear ball joints, only 200 to replace It's even fun to drive for a mid size car, and comfortable for 4 adults You'll love cruising around in the summer evenings, and have you seen how good this car looks?? DAMN!

Great Car!
By junoghonk on 05/18/13 02:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '04 Sebring convertible limited brand new in August 2003 and it has been a truly fantastic car since. With just over 108k miles, the only significant repair required was a transmission solenoid pack (or something like that) that started leaking at around 45,000 miles but was covered by the powertrain warranty. I also replaced the original 2004 stereo so I could have bluetooth and all the modern audio ear candy. Bottom line, if you maintain this car, it will last you a long time and you will have a blast driving it.

great fun car
By kellz92 on 01/05/13 13:09 PM (PST)

2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first car and i bought it two years ago when I was 18. It had two previous users and about 40,000 miles. I wasnt so sure about buying it because I had read so many mixed reviews, but im so glad i did! so far its only had one major problem that needed and needed to be repaired but that was because of my fault and its been great besides that. The gas mileage isnt bad at all, the a.c/heat works so good compared to a lot of other cars and in the summer the convertible is so much fun. I've driven it on plenty of road trips with no problems. The best thing about this car though is the value. I definitely feel like it's a good steal!

200,000 miles
By duma191 on 10/16/12 21:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LX 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

great car but just hit 200,000 miles and have to replace the power steering belt. can't even get near it. oil leaking as well as coolant but neither quickly. no room in engine bay to work and cant drive it onto a ramp because the bumper is so low. i ended up jacking it up and putting the ramp under it but still can't get to the belts. i wish this American built car wasn't mostly plastic.

Beware of Oil sludge
By brokeandsad on 05/18/12 14:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have 3 cars. Volvo 1996 170000 miles. Ford 120000 Chrysler 58000. Chrysler is dead they say it needs a new motor. I take care of my vehicles. Google Oil sludge 2.7L motor. Run from this model of motor.

Disappointment
By nflatow on 04/19/12 13:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

OUr 2004 Chrysler-Sebring convertible has ONLY 51,500 miles. Yet the front catalytic converter got so hot, that it burned a hole in the converter. That is extremely disappointing. Of course, the warranty for the converter was ONLY 8 years, so we are out $1,000 for a replacement. All the cars I have owned in teh last 50 years, have never had a catalytic converter fail. Shame on Chrysler!

Owned 1.5 months went 922 miles
By abouttowne on 08/17/11 14:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased what appeared to be a clean car. Beautiful looks and interior great. Daughter first car. Engine failed 900 miles after purchase on the vehicle. When purchasing we checked consumer reports that gave a 4.5 on the rating and did not indicate engine problems. We find out when we googled possible engine trouble. Have read thousands of complaints about the 2.7 engine and safety issues, Chrysler lack of responsibility over defective engine. This is hidden from consumers and these units are still being sold to unsuspecting buyers.

stalls more thean anycar ive owned
By nonewcar1 on 08/08/11 09:34 AM (PDT)

this piece of crap i got from my ford dealership used, stalls more then my 84 mustang, 81 malibu, 91 blazer put together, ive owned a 2003 pt cruiser too, the dealership told me that it was in tip top shape, a car that was made less than ten years ago should not stall out, at all. ive changed the oil once and it has been worse (bought it back in late may of 2011, now being august 2011) I hhave lost faith in chrysler products, this coming from a familiy that bought nothing but chrysler/dodges, the brakes are choppy at best, the interior is the only redeeming quality it has, next time im pressured in buying a car from this century, im going to say heck no! because i have nothing but problems

2004 Sebring Convertable
By John Macatee on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have not had one problem at all with my Sebring since I bought it new in 2004. It has been reliable, fun, and has given me good fuel economy - 28- 30 mpg on the road about 25 mpg around town, using Copper performance tires. I had a leak in the area or the top back window. the dealer fixed it and I took it through the car wash all the time. I put on 148,000 miles on it in Los Angeles, then I moved it to Hawaii and put on a total of 182,000 miles when my son totaled it! The only thing I had to replace was the front left motor mount, which was caused going airborne for about 30 feet on a wavy road outside of Hilo. I just loved this car and am looking for buy another ASAP!