Used 2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

What's everyone complaining about?
By car_auctioneer

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 Sebring LX 4 cylinder. I bought it from a "little old lady" with 5k miles on it a few years ago. It now has 50,000 and I couldn't be happier. I don't understand all the bad press, this car has been trouble-free except for the heater blower motor resistor, a $20 part I installed myself. Otherwise, nothing, not even the battery has gone bad. Has decent acceleration for a 4, and I get 29 highway and 25 average. I think the styling is great and as used car values go, you won't find a better bang for your buck. 6 cyl buyers beware: as with all 2.7 6 cyl Chryslers, make sure you CHANGE YOUR OIL regularly. One of the best I've owned, and I"ve had a BUNCH!

Exterior style, quiet on highway, fuel economy, sound system, interior spaciousness.

Engine noise when cold, occasional suspension groan, weak trunk struts

I love my car, but...
By Shelly

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My mom and I had to finance this car due to my Baby Girl being in the hospital and my '97 Escort being out of commission. I love my car, it had 52,903 miles on it when I bought it in October 2004, in March 2005 I had to repair the transmission to the tune of 1,300 dollars, I have since put 1,200 into it repairing/replacing tie rods, ball joints, brakes, brake hoses, strut components, oh and you can't easily obtain some of the most important safety components, such as strut mounts, I recently had to buy a used pair of struts from a junkyard because the mounts rotted out on mine, and 9,681 other peoples Sebring and this part is on backorder until at least August 11th (possibly September.)

My little 4 cylinder engine that accelerates like nobody's business. CD player, comfy seats, LATCH system, smooth ride, trunk space, passenger space, my pretty Metallic Hunter Green color. It's a family car and a performance car all-in-one!

Better quality building and parts. Easier accessibility to parts. Better gas mileage.

Looks can be deceiving
By Joe R.

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am an ASE Certified Auto Tech who owns one, so knowing these vehicles is helpful in writing this review. The 2.4L DOHC 4-Cylinder has more than enough pep for running around town and on the highway without the A/C, but you can feel a big loss of power with the A/C on. The exterior styling has to be one of the nicest I have seen. The interior styling is also very nice, good layout of all the controls. The sound system is superb! This car seems to go through rotors from warpage quite often, it also seems to wear out outer tie rod ends quickly, and the auto trans in these cars go bad just looking at them, without proper care and feeding. Overall, I would recommend this car to a friend.

The best stock sound system I have ever heard in a car. The chrome trim around dash gauges. The power moonroof. The wood trim on the dashboard.

The A-604 automatic transmission!, the solenoid packs get clogged and results in delayed shifts, the rear planetary blows through the back of the case, there is a jerk on a 2-1 downshift. Be sure to use ATF +4 trans fluid only, NO Dexron/Mercon. Be sure to change fluid and filter every 15,000 miles

Stuck with it.
By l3ri

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car 2 years ago, used. Had 60k. Not bad for the price I paid. A couple months into owning the car, I noticed a slight knocking in the engine. I took it back to the dealer to get checked out. I was told there were no problems, everything was working fine. Six months later, car overheated and had to have the water manifold replaced. Seemed ok afterwards. Yet, a couple months after, more problems. The window control panel broke twice. Heat blower stopped working. Even with regular oil changes, the engine died. $2900 to replace, and only worth $3000. Chrysler needs to put more effort into making sure they are selling a quality product.

Roomy, looks nice.

Needs a more durable engine.

Great Car- Do the maintenance
By Sebring is Great

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new-78k currently. Regular maintenance is all. Did not replace brakes until 50k-85%city driving. Mileage is 24 with no a/c and about 22 with in the city. Highway is 28 - 30 with cruise at 70 ish. Leather has held up well-clean 2-3 times a yr. No rattles or squeaks, V6 still is a blast to drive - very revvy and punchy. Tranny is smooth and reliable. No electrical problem other than seat heater relay going out. Still on factory alt and water pump. No major leaks of any kind. Handles ok but could use stiffer shocks/struts to really handle well. Overall it is a quiet, economical sedan to own. i just wish resell was higher on Chryslers. That is what would make it a great preowned car.

V6 power, comfort of seats (6ft 2), seat heaters, excellent Infinity sound system, trunk room is good, it does what we want it to do - get us down the road safely and economically.

V6 is crammed against fire wall- radiator hoses are hard to change and you have to take off driver side tire to get to batt. All minor issues since you only deal with them occasionally. I wish the pass seat was powered. If maintenance is done it will be a good car - that goes for any car now a days.