2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
I love my car, but...
By Shelly on 07/27/08 12:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My mom and I had to finance this car due to my Baby Girl being in the hospital and my '97 Escort being out of commission. I love my car, it had 52,903 miles on it when I bought it in October 2004, in March 2005 I had to repair the transmission to the tune of 1,300 dollars, I have since put 1,200 into it repairing/replacing tie rods, ball joints, brakes, brake hoses, strut components, oh and you can't easily obtain some of the most important safety components, such as strut mounts, I recently had to buy a used pair of struts from a junkyard because the mounts rotted out on mine, and 9,681 other peoples Sebring and this part is on backorder until at least August 11th (possibly September.)

Looks can be deceiving
By Joe R. on 06/15/08 19:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am an ASE Certified Auto Tech who owns one, so knowing these vehicles is helpful in writing this review. The 2.4L DOHC 4-Cylinder has more than enough pep for running around town and on the highway without the A/C, but you can feel a big loss of power with the A/C on. The exterior styling has to be one of the nicest I have seen. The interior styling is also very nice, good layout of all the controls. The sound system is superb! This car seems to go through rotors from warpage quite often, it also seems to wear out outer tie rod ends quickly, and the auto trans in these cars go bad just looking at them, without proper care and feeding. Overall, I would recommend this car to a friend.

Stuck with it.
By l3ri on 03/29/08 20:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car 2 years ago, used. Had 60k. Not bad for the price I paid. A couple months into owning the car, I noticed a slight knocking in the engine. I took it back to the dealer to get checked out. I was told there were no problems, everything was working fine. Six months later, car overheated and had to have the water manifold replaced. Seemed ok afterwards. Yet, a couple months after, more problems. The window control panel broke twice. Heat blower stopped working. Even with regular oil changes, the engine died. $2900 to replace, and only worth $3000. Chrysler needs to put more effort into making sure they are selling a quality product.

Great Car- Do the maintenance
By Sebring is Great on 01/06/08 19:56 PM (PST)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new-78k currently. Regular maintenance is all. Did not replace brakes until 50k-85%city driving. Mileage is 24 with no a/c and about 22 with in the city. Highway is 28 - 30 with cruise at 70 ish. Leather has held up well-clean 2-3 times a yr. No rattles or squeaks, V6 still is a blast to drive - very revvy and punchy. Tranny is smooth and reliable. No electrical problem other than seat heater relay going out. Still on factory alt and water pump. No major leaks of any kind. Handles ok but could use stiffer shocks/struts to really handle well. Overall it is a quiet, economical sedan to own. i just wish resell was higher on Chryslers. That is what would make it a great preowned car.

Still Love It, 5 Years Later
By Tracey on 09/12/07 18:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 02 Chrysler Sebring 4D Sedan brand new for just under $16K. No problems except for a bad battery. Comfy car, great stereo, smooth ride. Only complaint is gas mileage. With stop and go traffic in Atlanta, I only get about 21/22 miles per gallon. But, other than that, I'm a happy customer. Will probably buy a Sebring convertible when (if??) my 02 ever wears out... this is the first non- import car I've ever owned and I have no complaints!

Good car
By Keith on 08/11/07 11:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is an update to an original post - now I have 73k odo and still relatively trouble free - extended warranty took care of all. Upper strut mounts on front were replaced causing cupping on tires - I thought it was alignment. Seat heater relay replaced as well as rear spring cushions - all faulty from factory. These are minor issues that could happen with any make. The car still delivers 23 - 24 city and 28 hi way. I just now replaced the front brakes at 71k (that is a first). Car is still tight, no road noise, great mileage, excellent sound system, leather has held up well. This is my wife's daily driver, no kids.

Very safe
By melissa on 08/02/07 21:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our car used with 47000km on it. since buying it we put 75000km. problems started with the heat blower at around 100000km we were supposed to be covered bumper to bumper warranty but it showed that the coolant system needed a hose replace and it wasn't covered. so we had to fork over $600. around the same time the transmission started to stick and several tests could find no problems but every time you shifted fro park to drive etc, you got a jolt. we ended up leaving the transmission for awhile and got into an accident that totaled the car, hit on the passengers side front end, my husband, my 8 month old baby and myself walked away with minor cuts and bruises, the car was great!

Don't make this mistake!
By davis13 on 05/03/07 18:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I wish I had done more research before buying this car. From day one, I have always heard a whine especially during acceleration. These cars eat brakes. It's ridiculous. A couple of weeks ago, the car stranded me, transmission woes. I had to have the planetary gears replaced three times in the course of ten days. Finally they replaced the cas" I assume that houses the gears. The day after I get it home, the OBD light comes on. My plans this weekend? To find another car.

A Great Car.
By Darwin on 04/01/07 15:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I now have over 80,000 miles on the car. I have had no major problems with the car. Change the oil and that's about it. Love the size and fits the family well.

Good Car
By hwy driver on 08/08/06 11:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 3 years now and put 140 miles a day on it driving back and forth to work. I'm up to 110,000 miles now. Gas mileage has been good at 28 mpg. Comfort is great. Sound system rocks. Only issues have been some stupid electrical problems. Relay for blower heater motor went bad once and the Windshield Washer pump seemed weak in the winter time. Other than that its been oil changes, tires, and breaks.