2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
By dale330 on 06/10/13 14:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

It's been a couple years since I posted, so I wanted to do a follow up. My car now has 93,000 miles on it and has lost considerable fuel mileage. I'll have it tuned up this year, but stay away from Bosch Platinum+4 plugs. I used those in my last tune up and lost 3-4 mpg's. Other than that I'm still happy with my car. The engine is clean, no sign of sludge and I still run full synthetic oil through it. I've been doing a lot more driving with it over the last year and have no qualms with the reliability of my car. My car, by the way, is actually an LX, but with the V-6 engine. Edmunds doesn't include the V-6 option with the LX.

Chrysler Sebring Lxi 2002 2.6v6
By londonlad1 on 03/25/12 18:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with no pre-conceptions of Chrysler, I'm from the UK. It was exceptionally clean and well cared for with 114k on the clock, looked factory new inside and out. It's reliable, nice to drive, excellent driver ergonomics. The interior is tasteful and well built. The bodywork is of high quality. BUT! before you buy, check to see if the timing chain and water pump have been changed. Be aware that when the water pump fails as they all do eventually, it will end up fouling the engine oil if left too long as it's INSIDE the crankcase and runs off the timing chain. Repair is approx. $1350.00 at a Chrysler dealer. Be sure to factor this in when haggling! Check your coolant often!

Never again
By fayga on 04/15/11 20:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Had it 3 years put in over 3500 bucks into it one week after driving it off the lot had some silly light sensor go out. I was not very happy with the quality of the car, the last straw was the reclining seat part broke so it was a hazard to drive thinking it was going to pop out of the lock i had made since it was going to cost over 500 to get it fixed.

2 Transmissions Later
By Chris on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a used car dealership and had to replace the transmission after 6 months and at less than 60,000 miles. This car must have been in an accident because I was replacing wheel bearings and front tie rod ends frequently (bearings once/yr). When I sold it the car had coolant leaking into the engine, transmission fluid leaking, and the transmission was dying for the second time. I drove a lot of miles on it, but always had the regular maintenance performed. Chrysler's are known for their transmission issues and front end problems, which is exactly what I had. I will never buy a Chrysler again.

Love my car!
By Sylvia on 08/21/10 12:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car brand new. It drives extremely well. Had to replace back struts and battery after 8 years of driving. Love the car. My only complaint is the ceiling is a little low for the taller people in my family. I'd purchase the same care again, no problem.

Preventive Maintenance when buying used.
By Dale on 08/15/10 06:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 58,315 miles on the 2.7 V-6 engine. Knowing the issues associated with this engine, I performed a motor flush, switched to full synthetic motor oil, and replaced the PCV valve. Also, I had the transmission flushed, cooling system flushed, and tune up performed. This is a good, reliable car and solid for being 8 years old. Not knowing how the previous owner cared for the vehicle, I had all that preventive maintenance done. I average about 27 mpg with my Sebring and for the most part, I'm satisfied.

USD 10,000+ in repair and counting
By old timer on 08/05/10 18:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

46,000 Miles, 1 owner. I have replaced: front end (2X, no grease fittings), 2 rear struts, cat converter, both passenger & driver front door panels, air bag electronics, AC compressor (2X), power door locks (2X), trunk pneumatic, wiper motors, headlamps (4X). I repainted to cover skin cancer (Chrysler admitted paint issue). Engine lite comes on and engine stalls intermittently w/o cause. Foam in pass compartment deteriorates and blows black plastic over everything. Plastic trim around doors brittle, cracking. Total out-of-pocket cost for these repairs to date: $10,700 [$4000 this year so far]. Chrysler admits all of these are their fault but none are part of any recall.

Good Car
By Dale on 06/26/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After reading about the 2.7 V-6 issues I ran motor flush through the engine and replaced the oil with full synthetic. Purchased in a 5 qt container, the price isn't much more than if I purchased standard oil. The car is quiet, very comfortable to drive, handles curves far better than Chevy Malibu, and gets good fuel mileage. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking.

Very Happy after 8 years
By Joanie on 06/10/10 15:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I really lucked out with this car. I got it for a wonderful price and nothing major has gone wrong with it at all. I have been so happy with this car. I don't know if I just got really lucky but it has out performed my previous 3 Mazdas.. I couldn't continue with the Mazdas because they got too pricey for me at the time so I went American and boy am I happy I did. Only had to do basic maintenance- brake pads- rotors - new tires etc. But nothing else! I hope a I have as good luck with my next purchase.

Dangerous In Winter!
By mrs.fonz on 06/01/10 10:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have very cold winters here. Bought with less than 20,000 miles on it. Resistor in blower motor broke, REPEATEDLY! Had persistent front axle problems! Once original brakes needed replacement, they were never right. Wiper motor died. Transmission troubles. ALL window motors quit working! Once the extended service warranty ran out, all these were VERY expensive to fix! Brake pedal FROZEN at cold temps! Apparently I'm the only one who had this problem? We don't have a garage. Took it back to the dealer over & over. They couldn't fix it! This car was supposed to go with my daughter when she went away to a school farther north. She ended up with the "new" car as I didn't trust this one!