Used 2002 Chrysler Sebring GTC Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

Best Convertible I have ever owned
By Convertible Lady

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have been the only owner of my Sebring 2002 Convertible. I have changed the oil religiously about every 3000 miles, changed the tranny fluid, and done other preventative maintenance as suggested. The only problem I have had with my vehicle is with the seat belt light staying on. I changed out a fuse and had the box reset and that helped for about two weeks. The light came back on. It doesn't bother me to have the light on so I leave it alone. The only other problem I had was with some small piece in the system that cost about $100 (it caused the car to shut down at stop lights). I got that fixed and everything is ok again. It has been a great car..no lemon. I am over 100k mi. now.

Favorite Features

Convertible top of course. Sleek looking body style.

Suggested Improvements

Front end is too low it needs to raise it or make the front end heavy metal. I tend to run up over curbs and I have damaged the underside of my car.

GTC 5 SPEED: UPDATE
By Shifter

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Update: 44,000 miles. My "black-on- black beauty" 5 speed manual continues to be just that. The mirror-like finish remains deep and clear, and still maintains like-new appearance. The last tank of fuel (city driving) yielded 23 mpg, and that fluctuates in a range of 21-23 city--all on original plugs. With the exception of two switch replacements in the heat-ac blower, the car has been absolutely mechanically excellent. One change noted, however, is the presence in Winter, when the cabin is cold, of loud squeaky sounds where the top meets the windshield frame. As the cabin heats up the sound diminishes in loudness. Handling remains tight & I love the 5 speed control in snow and rain.

Favorite Features

(1) 4 disk cd changer, (2) roomy back seat area, (3) tight handling at 44,000 miles, (4) finish maintains original deep and crisp luster (black), (5) easy down-up top + 4 windows down, (6) nuts about the 5 speed manual,(7) trunk is roomy and well designed to protect top rear window when top lowered.

Suggested Improvements

(1) if Chrysler still produced manual 5 speed Sebrings, would suggest more power out of first gear, (2) better synchronicity of the gears for smoother shift flow, (3) auto window UP for the driver, (4) better external badging to denote "5 speed manual", (5) H/ac vent for rear passengers.

It's several years later from first revi
By Shifter

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

It is now several years since my first posting. I still love my GTC, and it still looks showroom-clean. Twice the blower switch needed replacement, but aside from one headlight, the car has been trouble-free. The 5 speed is the best on snow and ice, and I like the control in rush hour (especially as a way of conserving fuel given the current cost). MPG in the city hovers between 21 and 24 depending on driving conditions. My second review (first in 2006) still radiates enthusiasm for this car. I still wish 1st gear had less resistance off the line, but all in all, I continue to love this car. A little Meguiar's Instant Detail keeps the black a high gloss and the wheels looking good.

Favorite Features

The five speed The roominess for four passengers For a convertible, very well insulated Four disk changer The absence of amenities and glitz is, I feel, a real plus. More goodies means, ultimately, simply more things to fix. The GTC 5 speed is simply a great ride!

Suggested Improvements

Still would like to see European-like flasher switch on dash rather than on the steering column. I agree that the battery is buried, and it is not easy to change a headlight.

A Piece of the 50
By renewedamericanbuyer

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Formerly a Jaguar owner going through a mid-life crisis, I decided to bite the proverbial bullet purchasing a Bright Silver Sebring GTC. Though not a Jaguar by far, it is an absolute joy to drive, except for the constant, rough transmission shifting in and out of 1st gear (auto), rain dropping in with a window open (a simple rain drip molding at the windshield would solve this issue), cheap interior trim that even Hyundai surpasses in quality, lack of what we currently deem necessary standard equipment absent, unavailable, or non-equipped from the factory, and an enhanced ownership program would be nice, after all, isn't that what the merger with Mercedes was meant to do? Where's the substance?!

Favorite Features

In several ways it reminds me of the grandeur of the '50s Chryslers, though lacking all of the luster of the "new, pioneering equipment" that Chryslers were renowned for and held bragging rights to, the sebring is a joy, but seems to fall short of delivering absolute bliss. Owning a Chrysler again.

Suggested Improvements

Quality interior & int features and materials, enhanced std equipment such as: TRANSMISSION!, projector headlamps, security, std side airbags, seating surfaces, auto lamps, improved int lighting, a lot more "glitz", improved bumper to bumper warranty, improved dealer relations towards customers

GTC Needs Something
By snowdogg

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This car is fun but all the design/build shortcuts make it a question mark as to how long it will hold up. I drive more than 20K miles a year and can see potential problems ahead. At 50K the brakes seem like they need to be replaced, the suspension groans and creaks, the body has lots of rattles and there are small but annoying noises coming from behind the dash. The washer fluid freezes in the winter, the car takes very long to warm up, there is not even a height adjustment on the driver's seat and I can see wear on the convertible top from rubbing on the frame. i wish that I could say lots of good things about it. I really wanted to "drive American" but this unit is a disappointment!

Favorite Features

The best feature (other than the fact that it is a convertible) is the 2.7L engine combined with the 5 speed it is surprisingly strong and revs freely to the redline.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support, heated seats, locate battery under the hood (instead of in fender well - you have to remove the wheel to get to battery), better gearbox (very balky at times), foglights, a tab for rear window defroster that doesn't come "unglued" and windows that don't chatter going up and down.