Used 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

Bittersweet
By car_guy_93

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXi 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Sebring earlier this year, and fell in love immediately...that was until I began to have issues. Whole front end shot out, replaced axle assembly and ball joints, $750. the previous owners were older, had it dealer serviced regularly. I recently had to get rid of my Sebring because the timing chains went, screwing up the entire engine. My mechanic told me I'd need a rebuild or replacement, $2900 at least. Not worth it on a 9 year old car with 120k. Loved the car, still kills me I had to get rid of it. But I do not miss the headaches and stress, this car is a total bad buy. I now have a '09 Sentra,while I'll always miss my loaded convertible, I feel a lot safer now.

Favorite Features

Loaded with options, spoiling options. Automatic tinting review mirror, power heated leather seats, CD changer, fog lights, black on black. good pick-up, not horrible gas mileage (i averaged 22 mpg) for an older V6, ridiculously attractive.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, reliability, sturdiness, parts are expensive/harder to find. Mechanically this is not a good car remotely. Its good for what it is, a nice convertible that is attractive and somewhat affordable. That is it.

Love my car
By BARBARA

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car for 8 years and it now has 158,000 miles. Ran fine until now. I guess it's because of old age/mileage. Now I'm having problems with antifreeze leaking and sometime overheating. I replaced the water pump and thermostat and thermostat housing. All this in a year's time. Still having overheating and antifreeze leaking issues. I hope it can be fixed but it is now starting to nickle and dime me. I guess I can't complain since it never gave me a problem until 2007. But hey, look at my mileage. I love this car and enjoyed it. I just hate to part with it.

Best Convertible I have ever owned
By Convertible Lady

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have been the only owner of my Sebring 2002 Convertible. I have changed the oil religiously about every 3000 miles, changed the tranny fluid, and done other preventative maintenance as suggested. The only problem I have had with my vehicle is with the seat belt light staying on. I changed out a fuse and had the box reset and that helped for about two weeks. The light came back on. It doesn't bother me to have the light on so I leave it alone. The only other problem I had was with some small piece in the system that cost about $100 (it caused the car to shut down at stop lights). I got that fixed and everything is ok again. It has been a great car..no lemon. I am over 100k mi. now.

Favorite Features

Convertible top of course. Sleek looking body style.

Suggested Improvements

Front end is too low it needs to raise it or make the front end heavy metal. I tend to run up over curbs and I have damaged the underside of my car.

Love my convertible
By Angelizz10

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this baby blue convertible new. It gets really outstanding mileage that it automatically checks for you. I am getting around 32 highway. The only problem I have had during my 70,000 miles was at about 50,000 it wouldn't come out of 1st gear! I drove it slowly, to the dealership where I purchased it. It was a small plastic piece that I learned Chrysler had in it that wore out about that mileage. I had extended warranty and they fixed it. Glad I had it. It is a snazzy looking car, and being blonde, I look good in it with the top down and Andre Bocelli playing when I head to the beach. Great fun and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Top goes down very easily, great sound system in the Limited, 4 CD player, plus it has a cartridge player. I specifically wanted that as I have alot of tapes. It gets great highway mileage 32 - 38 and that ain't bad.

Suggested Improvements

The drivers seat is leather and it is showing signs of wear. It is cream white leather and definitely would not get that again. It 'looks' great with the navy blue rag top and the baby blue exterior however.

timing chain
By browniegirl

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXi 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Make sure you get all of your oil changes every 3000 miles. We did not know at the time of purchase that this particular engine has an internal timing chain, in the engine. They wanted to replace our engine with the 3.0L because the 2.7L has such a bad problem with this. We had to have the engine rebuilt and it was almost impossible to get parts for the timing chain assembly. Stick with a car that has a timing belt. Don't buy one with the timing chain in the engine, it only leads to a more expensive repair.