2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
Bittersweet
By car_guy_93 on 09/27/11 09:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXi 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Sebring earlier this year, and fell in love immediately...that was until I began to have issues. Whole front end shot out, replaced axle assembly and ball joints, $750. the previous owners were older, had it dealer serviced regularly. I recently had to get rid of my Sebring because the timing chains went, screwing up the entire engine. My mechanic told me I'd need a rebuild or replacement, $2900 at least. Not worth it on a 9 year old car with 120k. Loved the car, still kills me I had to get rid of it. But I do not miss the headaches and stress, this car is a total bad buy. I now have a '09 Sentra,while I'll always miss my loaded convertible, I feel a lot safer now.

Love my car
By BARBARA on 07/15/10 11:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car for 8 years and it now has 158,000 miles. Ran fine until now. I guess it's because of old age/mileage. Now I'm having problems with antifreeze leaking and sometime overheating. I replaced the water pump and thermostat and thermostat housing. All this in a year's time. Still having overheating and antifreeze leaking issues. I hope it can be fixed but it is now starting to nickle and dime me. I guess I can't complain since it never gave me a problem until 2007. But hey, look at my mileage. I love this car and enjoyed it. I just hate to part with it.

Best Convertible I have ever owned
By Convertible Lady on 05/23/10 23:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have been the only owner of my Sebring 2002 Convertible. I have changed the oil religiously about every 3000 miles, changed the tranny fluid, and done other preventative maintenance as suggested. The only problem I have had with my vehicle is with the seat belt light staying on. I changed out a fuse and had the box reset and that helped for about two weeks. The light came back on. It doesn't bother me to have the light on so I leave it alone. The only other problem I had was with some small piece in the system that cost about $100 (it caused the car to shut down at stop lights). I got that fixed and everything is ok again. It has been a great car..no lemon. I am over 100k mi. now.

Love my convertible
By Angelizz10 on 04/27/10 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this baby blue convertible new. It gets really outstanding mileage that it automatically checks for you. I am getting around 32 highway. The only problem I have had during my 70,000 miles was at about 50,000 it wouldn't come out of 1st gear! I drove it slowly, to the dealership where I purchased it. It was a small plastic piece that I learned Chrysler had in it that wore out about that mileage. I had extended warranty and they fixed it. Glad I had it. It is a snazzy looking car, and being blonde, I look good in it with the top down and Andre Bocelli playing when I head to the beach. Great fun and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

timing chain
By browniegirl on 01/30/10 22:06 PM (PST)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXi 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Make sure you get all of your oil changes every 3000 miles. We did not know at the time of purchase that this particular engine has an internal timing chain, in the engine. They wanted to replace our engine with the 3.0L because the 2.7L has such a bad problem with this. We had to have the engine rebuilt and it was almost impossible to get parts for the timing chain assembly. Stick with a car that has a timing belt. Don't buy one with the timing chain in the engine, it only leads to a more expensive repair.

Chrysler Quality
By Joe on 12/27/09 19:48 PM (PST)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Like the cars look. Fun to drive, just wish it wasn't always to get service. How can they make such good mini-vans (I am on my 3rd), yet make such a poor quality convertible. There has never been a time when there wasn't something seriously wrong with it. It leaks trans fluid, oil and coolant. I just got it inspected again at the dealership, currently, the trans solenoid pack needs replacing, the oil pan and oil pressure sending switch is leaking, the rack and pinion is shot, the door "clips" are broken, the leather seats are tearing and I just replaced the right front hub bearing. The windshield washer works good though.

Can't Find Parts
By sarasotagene on 11/09/09 10:03 AM (PST)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXi 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great car but when it breaks you may have problems getting parts. I had to work hard to find after market lifters for the top because Chrysler was not making them. Can't have a convertible with the top not going up

Topless
By Marie on 07/10/09 10:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXi 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love to drive my Sebring convertible. Great performance for 70,000 miles on it. Had to have transmisson solenoid replaced because my dog put the gear shift in reverse when we were in the carp pool lane going 80mph. Nothing happened immediately, however 2 years later we noticed leaks under the engine. My husband thought it was master cylinder fluid leaking. The transmission was covered under warranty. Excellent highway gas mileage on long trips and exceptional comfort.

GTC 5 SPEED: UPDATE
By Shifter on 04/06/09 13:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Update: 44,000 miles. My "black-on- black beauty" 5 speed manual continues to be just that. The mirror-like finish remains deep and clear, and still maintains like-new appearance. The last tank of fuel (city driving) yielded 23 mpg, and that fluctuates in a range of 21-23 city--all on original plugs. With the exception of two switch replacements in the heat-ac blower, the car has been absolutely mechanically excellent. One change noted, however, is the presence in Winter, when the cabin is cold, of loud squeaky sounds where the top meets the windshield frame. As the cabin heats up the sound diminishes in loudness. Handling remains tight & I love the 5 speed control in snow and rain.

Poor design poor quality.
By Extremely Unreliabe on 09/11/08 09:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXi 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Water pump is driven by a timing chain that is inside engine on 2.7 engines. My original pump failed at 61,800 miles flooding engine with antifreeze. Water pump casting number is 0466373611797B followed by Chrysler STAR SYMBOL. Now I'm having to pay $5000 for an engine rebuild. Chrysler refuses to own any part of the problem has been happening since 1999. Before purchasing a Chrysler 2.7 please check out the horror stories on the intranet. Old sales pitch was don't buy no ugly truck. Buyers beware.