2002 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
By dale330 on 06/10/13 14:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

It's been a couple years since I posted, so I wanted to do a follow up. My car now has 93,000 miles on it and has lost considerable fuel mileage. I'll have it tuned up this year, but stay away from Bosch Platinum+4 plugs. I used those in my last tune up and lost 3-4 mpg's. Other than that I'm still happy with my car. The engine is clean, no sign of sludge and I still run full synthetic oil through it. I've been doing a lot more driving with it over the last year and have no qualms with the reliability of my car. My car, by the way, is actually an LX, but with the V-6 engine. Edmunds doesn't include the V-6 option with the LX.

Chrysler Sebring Lxi 2002 2.6v6
By londonlad1 on 03/25/12 18:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with no pre-conceptions of Chrysler, I'm from the UK. It was exceptionally clean and well cared for with 114k on the clock, looked factory new inside and out. It's reliable, nice to drive, excellent driver ergonomics. The interior is tasteful and well built. The bodywork is of high quality. BUT! before you buy, check to see if the timing chain and water pump have been changed. Be aware that when the water pump fails as they all do eventually, it will end up fouling the engine oil if left too long as it's INSIDE the crankcase and runs off the timing chain. Repair is approx. $1350.00 at a Chrysler dealer. Be sure to factor this in when haggling! Check your coolant often!

2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Coupe.
By sxybrandon on 11/04/11 04:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I Have Owed 2 Chrysler Sebring Coupes between the years of 2001 and 2002. I love the cars. The body style and the interior is very nice. I enjoy the 3.0 engine. I just wish it had a little more power. But. My issues I'm having on both cars are a Over Heating Issue. Seems like when Im driving up a hill, the car over heats. And, In the summer time. The car over heats alot.. I Have to run the air constantly to keep the fans going.. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if anyone could tell me what that is...

Bittersweet
By car_guy_93 on 09/27/11 09:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Sebring earlier this year, and fell in love immediately...that was until I began to have issues. Whole front end shot out, replaced axle assembly and ball joints, $750. the previous owners were older, had it dealer serviced regularly. I recently had to get rid of my Sebring because the timing chains went, screwing up the entire engine. My mechanic told me I'd need a rebuild or replacement, $2900 at least. Not worth it on a 9 year old car with 120k. Loved the car, still kills me I had to get rid of it. But I do not miss the headaches and stress, this car is a total bad buy. I now have a '09 Sentra,while I'll always miss my loaded convertible, I feel a lot safer now.

Never again
By fayga on 04/15/11 20:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Had it 3 years put in over 3500 bucks into it one week after driving it off the lot had some silly light sensor go out. I was not very happy with the quality of the car, the last straw was the reclining seat part broke so it was a hazard to drive thinking it was going to pop out of the lock i had made since it was going to cost over 500 to get it fixed.

2 Transmissions Later
By Chris on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a used car dealership and had to replace the transmission after 6 months and at less than 60,000 miles. This car must have been in an accident because I was replacing wheel bearings and front tie rod ends frequently (bearings once/yr). When I sold it the car had coolant leaking into the engine, transmission fluid leaking, and the transmission was dying for the second time. I drove a lot of miles on it, but always had the regular maintenance performed. Chrysler's are known for their transmission issues and front end problems, which is exactly what I had. I will never buy a Chrysler again.

Love my car!
By Sylvia on 08/21/10 12:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car brand new. It drives extremely well. Had to replace back struts and battery after 8 years of driving. Love the car. My only complaint is the ceiling is a little low for the taller people in my family. I'd purchase the same care again, no problem.

Preventive Maintenance when buying used.
By Dale on 08/15/10 06:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 58,315 miles on the 2.7 V-6 engine. Knowing the issues associated with this engine, I performed a motor flush, switched to full synthetic motor oil, and replaced the PCV valve. Also, I had the transmission flushed, cooling system flushed, and tune up performed. This is a good, reliable car and solid for being 8 years old. Not knowing how the previous owner cared for the vehicle, I had all that preventive maintenance done. I average about 27 mpg with my Sebring and for the most part, I'm satisfied.

Love my Car!
By Cass on 08/09/10 10:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my LXi January 2007 with 59,000 miles on it right out of a lease. This car was my second car and i wanted something sporty, but reliable. I could not believe i found it. I unfortunately will be parting with is soon because I am 6' tall and there is no back seat space even for a car seat, but I can't complain. I didn't want anyone in my car to ruin it anyway! Such a fun car with the sport shifter. I unfortunately got stuck with a noisy suspension that has never given me any problems! First problem I am dealing with is at 115,000 miles the alternator died. That was my turning moment to say I should probably upgrade now before more happens :*(

USD 10,000+ in repair and counting
By old timer on 08/05/10 18:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

46,000 Miles, 1 owner. I have replaced: front end (2X, no grease fittings), 2 rear struts, cat converter, both passenger & driver front door panels, air bag electronics, AC compressor (2X), power door locks (2X), trunk pneumatic, wiper motors, headlamps (4X). I repainted to cover skin cancer (Chrysler admitted paint issue). Engine lite comes on and engine stalls intermittently w/o cause. Foam in pass compartment deteriorates and blows black plastic over everything. Plastic trim around doors brittle, cracking. Total out-of-pocket cost for these repairs to date: $10,700 [$4000 this year so far]. Chrysler admits all of these are their fault but none are part of any recall.