Used 2001 Chrysler Sebring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

Steer clear of the Sebring
By Matt

2001 Chrysler Sebring LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just recently got my lisence last summer and this was my first car. At first glance you would say its a nice looking car but looks don't count for everything. When i got it, it has about 114,000 miles on it. The transmission had been replaced along with a power steering pump. I thought that this car would last me for a few years but after having the car for one day the fuel pump gave out. Shortly after the ac went bad along with the back two windows. When winter hit the car struggled to start and the thermostat went bad making it very difficult to drive. Also because of it's low power and heavy body, it made it slmost impossible to drive in the winter.

Comfort while driving and the overall look

Stop making junk Chrysler!

Car did not make me a Chrysler fan
By msmarvel

2001 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car after my then 7 year old Camaro Z28 cost me $1000 in repairs over 2 months. The car had been leased andhad 28,000 miles on it. Had issues from the start, the same thing would break over and over (blower for the fan for heat/AC, rear defrost, airbag light). I can't go 5 months without taking it to the shop (form day 1). Got a new transmission as well. Now it has 175,000 on it, and it still starts up right away, but the airbag light is on again. Car left me stranded twice cause it blew fuses because of crazy wiring. Roof leaks only on the driver's side in 2 places. Fun to drive. Motors for the top are still fine. But not a quality, reliable car.

Power driver's seat, roomy, plenty of trunk space (not affected by the top)

Brakes are horrendous in snow/heavy rain,you have to literally stand on them to stop. Actually, they're poor compared to any rental car I drive. Don't put 10,000 things on one fuse. Have to take off front tire to get to battery. Changing the air filter should not take an hour

Great car since I bought it.
By Carrie

2001 Chrysler Sebring LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new and am still driving it. I have 123K on it now. Problems I have had with it over the years are: At 23K transmission had issues, but they re-built it under warranty and I haven't had an issue since. Wheel bearings went once at around 65K. Air conditioning goes on and off at random which I'm told is a control pannel issue. I have had multiple heat resisters replaced which is a well known issue for this car. I also have chrome wheels which is the most pain as they lose air constantly. The engine light stays on from a bad gas cap sensor. Oil light comes on at stops after long drives, but does not appear to be serious. Despite issues, I still feel it is reliable

Style and look

N/A

Cheap Thrills!
By stig

2001 Chrysler Sebring LX 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it 5 yr used at 112k miles. I wanted a car I could take to university that didn't say "Cheap" or "Eco". Bought it below PP price from a dealer (5.5k). It ran great and was reliable till the time i broke it... wasn't the same after repairs. Sold it off 4 months back. The car is quite powerful. 200HP in a light car is not gonna be slow. The Daimler Influences are evident because this "American" car is a decent handler. The 4 speed gear box isn't great but it does let you slam the accelerator and use the full RPM range before it shifts. The car looks great and the drop top is nice for the 3 months in a year that it can be put down. I liked the noises the engine made as well.

The car is complicated and even though parts are relatively cheap labor costs are immense. eg water pump is under the engine (labor:$697, parts:$472). The mpg i got was 20.5-21 when i drove normally and 18-19 when i thrashed it in 70% Highway, 30% City. In short its great until something goes wrong

Very Good Car
By Mark

2001 Chrysler Sebring LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car rides and handles quite well. Comfortable for long trips. Looks pretty good with some decent quality to the interior materials, not full of cheap plastic. Very good stereo. Have had no real problems with it, so very reliable. Much better in that regard than my 2004 Hyundai Accent, or 90's model Ford cars. On the downside the fuel mileage isn't great. The visibility and maneuverability are somewhat lacking but I'm used to compact cars. This is a bit of a boat. Windshield defrost takes forever, very ill conceived big center vent in the dash. Low ground clearance. Only a four speed automatic, should be five or six gears. Overall pretty happy.

Ride, stance, stereo, seat comfort, reliability, and power.

Has no ABS (was an option), should have been standard on top of the line model. Same with lumbar support, heated mirrors, etc. Fuel economy isn't great (2.7L V6), neither is the head room. Really hate the windshield defrost, terrible design.