Used 1999 Chrysler Sebring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

From the showroom to the junkyard
By Arthur Jacobs

1999 Chrysler Sebring JX 2dr Convertible

I bought my 99 Sebring JX in Aug,1998, Basically just routine maintenance first 90,000 mi. Oil every 3-4,000, tires every 30-40,000, battery every 5 yrs, replaced top after 13 yrs. alternator,spark plugs, and belts,including timing belt at around 90,000. Was starting to need new paint after 15 yrs,110,000 mi. clearcoat peeling & fading. Then my son had a Ford Excursion back over him, bending front radiator support et all & pinching/twisting front sub frame, so off to the Junkyard. I loved that car, fun to toss around, like a 4 passenger go cart. It's not a Porsche, or a Jaguar, but it doesn't have the Initial buy in or upkeep cost either. Absolutely marvelous for a top down cruise along the coast, just don't forget to rub the sunscreen onto your scalp. I averaged around 26 mpg all around forever, but then I like to take all the ponies out for a romp at every opportunity! I'm currently looking for a replacement. It has to be a 97-2000 Sebring, I havent seen anything else that looks so right, and still seats 4 in comfort, top up or down.

The looks you get.... Loving it so far
By iamnatman

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I picked up my Jxi a few months ago for a mere $1400. The engine had 165k miles on it, but I was baffled at how well it was taken care of. This is now a 15 year old car, and I'm amazed at how many looks and compliments you get in it. I drive quite a lot, and have put a good amount of mileage on it already as it's currently @ 176k. Haven't had any major issues with it so far. As others have said, there's odd little electrical problems that pop up, but nothing too serious. The dash lights work when they want to, as do the mirror/dome light. Blower motor works on high speed only (this is an easy fix, though). The trunk lid hydraulic lifters also fail, so watch your head when you open it.

This car is actually quite large for a 2 door convertible, but I like how they've managed to make it sporty for it's size. Suspension is tight, and is very fun around curves. Backseat legroom is great. The autostick shifter is VERY fun, and adds a more sporty feel to it. Love the 5 disc changer, and amazing Infinity stereo. Gas mileage isn't bad, and I usually average 26.8 according to the meter.

Cup holders are a bit too small. Engine hasn't caused me problems yet, but it looks incredibly cramped under the hood, and I imagine repairs would be hard to do on it. Just looking, I can see the rear spark plugs are underneath the intake manifold, so that has to come off in order to change those out.

Best Bang fot the BUCK!!!
By dcumba

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car 6 months ago for only $900. I have driven this car daily since the purchase. 2 weeks after purchasing it, the transmission went into limp mode. I spent $300 purchasing a used transmission and another 300 to have it put in. I have not had any problems since then. There are other mechanical things that I need to fix, but these are things that were wrong with the car when I first purchased it. This car is amazing. I have not had a car that has been as economical, fun to drive, and reliable as this has been. The two mechanical problems that I spoke of earlier are the lower control arms for both driver and passenger side. There are no other problems with this car.

The top, the sound system, and the compliments that you get when you drive this car. For a car that has 150,000 miles, faded paint job, and being 15 years old, that says a lot!!!

Absolutely nothing. I cannot wait to fully restore this car and put it back to brand new.

Fast & Smooth
By miamah

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I bought a JXI in 2008 and it has run beautifully in all sorts of weather. No snow, I live in the Sunbelt. Can cruise at better than 75 mph and still get over 30 mpg. For those that have problems with their dash lights, gauges, etc. I solved it easily by waiting for to warning bells to go off before cranking the starter. A few extra seconds and never had the problem again. Yes, I had to replace the trunk lift shocks, rear window motor, struts & bushings but for a 15 yr. old car I shouldn't complain. The car has beautiful styling and the original paint is as NEW!

Feels the road well and steering is tight and responsive.

Stereo amp under front passenger seat a poor choice for location.

Decent car
By brier94_um33

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

Compared to the other cars that you could get for the same price with a convertible top and all the features this car comes with, its almost unbeatable...almost. Unless you can do your own work or have a second car to drive while your Chrysler Sebring is in the shop, I would recommend looking around before you buy this car. This is an unreliable car and will need serviced more then you may like. The good side of that is replacement parts are cheap and easy to find. For the people that do their own work, you may need to try a few times to be able to get to where you need to be. Considering the front wheel drive, the engine compartment is very cramped. I still enjoyed my Sebring.

We'll start at the optional features. For a 1999, this car is very nicely loaded. Much better, in fact, then my mothers 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. But that's a different segment. The JXI comes with the 2.5L V6 that makes about 168 horsepower and about 170 ft-lbs or torque. Not too bad, but when it has to haul around 3300 lbs, your left wishing Chrysler would have made the whole car out of fiberglass, not just the trunk and hood. It also has a very clunky 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, that seems to find the right gear, most of the time. The features like the convertible top and Infinity sound system make the drive as fun as it can get in this car.

For as heavy as this car is, it needs more power to compete with the other cars in its price range. The biggest problem is, well, the problems. So far on mine, I have replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap to solve an overheating problem, the battery temperature sensor to fix the service engine and battery lights, I had to replace the muffler, and my ABS doesn't work, which I haven't been able to solve yet. The brakes do work well, but the brake pedal is quite spongy and almost goes to the floor without routinely bleeding the brakes. Maybe the biggest problem was when the engine mounts broke. The engine fell and broke my CV joint. It was a hard to diagnose and costly fix.

• SUV