Used 1999 Chrysler Sebring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chrysler Sebring

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

The looks you get.... Loving it so far
By iamnatman

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I picked up my Jxi a few months ago for a mere $1400. The engine had 165k miles on it, but I was baffled at how well it was taken care of. This is now a 15 year old car, and I'm amazed at how many looks and compliments you get in it. I drive quite a lot, and have put a good amount of mileage on it already as it's currently @ 176k. Haven't had any major issues with it so far. As others have said, there's odd little electrical problems that pop up, but nothing too serious. The dash lights work when they want to, as do the mirror/dome light. Blower motor works on high speed only (this is an easy fix, though). The trunk lid hydraulic lifters also fail, so watch your head when you open it.

Favorite Features

This car is actually quite large for a 2 door convertible, but I like how they've managed to make it sporty for it's size. Suspension is tight, and is very fun around curves. Backseat legroom is great. The autostick shifter is VERY fun, and adds a more sporty feel to it. Love the 5 disc changer, and amazing Infinity stereo. Gas mileage isn't bad, and I usually average 26.8 according to the meter.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a bit too small. Engine hasn't caused me problems yet, but it looks incredibly cramped under the hood, and I imagine repairs would be hard to do on it. Just looking, I can see the rear spark plugs are underneath the intake manifold, so that has to come off in order to change those out.

Best Bang fot the BUCK!!!
By dcumba

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car 6 months ago for only $900. I have driven this car daily since the purchase. 2 weeks after purchasing it, the transmission went into limp mode. I spent $300 purchasing a used transmission and another 300 to have it put in. I have not had any problems since then. There are other mechanical things that I need to fix, but these are things that were wrong with the car when I first purchased it. This car is amazing. I have not had a car that has been as economical, fun to drive, and reliable as this has been. The two mechanical problems that I spoke of earlier are the lower control arms for both driver and passenger side. There are no other problems with this car.

Favorite Features

The top, the sound system, and the compliments that you get when you drive this car. For a car that has 150,000 miles, faded paint job, and being 15 years old, that says a lot!!!

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely nothing. I cannot wait to fully restore this car and put it back to brand new.

Fast & Smooth
By miamah

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I bought a JXI in 2008 and it has run beautifully in all sorts of weather. No snow, I live in the Sunbelt. Can cruise at better than 75 mph and still get over 30 mpg. For those that have problems with their dash lights, gauges, etc. I solved it easily by waiting for to warning bells to go off before cranking the starter. A few extra seconds and never had the problem again. Yes, I had to replace the trunk lift shocks, rear window motor, struts & bushings but for a 15 yr. old car I shouldn't complain. The car has beautiful styling and the original paint is as NEW!

Favorite Features

Feels the road well and steering is tight and responsive.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo amp under front passenger seat a poor choice for location.

Decent car
By brier94_um33

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

Compared to the other cars that you could get for the same price with a convertible top and all the features this car comes with, its almost unbeatable...almost. Unless you can do your own work or have a second car to drive while your Chrysler Sebring is in the shop, I would recommend looking around before you buy this car. This is an unreliable car and will need serviced more then you may like. The good side of that is replacement parts are cheap and easy to find. For the people that do their own work, you may need to try a few times to be able to get to where you need to be. Considering the front wheel drive, the engine compartment is very cramped. I still enjoyed my Sebring.

Favorite Features

We'll start at the optional features. For a 1999, this car is very nicely loaded. Much better, in fact, then my mothers 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. But that's a different segment. The JXI comes with the 2.5L V6 that makes about 168 horsepower and about 170 ft-lbs or torque. Not too bad, but when it has to haul around 3300 lbs, your left wishing Chrysler would have made the whole car out of fiberglass, not just the trunk and hood. It also has a very clunky 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, that seems to find the right gear, most of the time. The features like the convertible top and Infinity sound system make the drive as fun as it can get in this car.

Suggested Improvements

For as heavy as this car is, it needs more power to compete with the other cars in its price range. The biggest problem is, well, the problems. So far on mine, I have replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap to solve an overheating problem, the battery temperature sensor to fix the service engine and battery lights, I had to replace the muffler, and my ABS doesn't work, which I haven't been able to solve yet. The brakes do work well, but the brake pedal is quite spongy and almost goes to the floor without routinely bleeding the brakes. Maybe the biggest problem was when the engine mounts broke. The engine fell and broke my CV joint. It was a hard to diagnose and costly fix.

Stay away from this car
By mikeson1

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

While the car may look great and fun to drive, it will always be in the shop. I have had the car in the shop 4 times, since I bought it 1 month ago. The car has been severely random misfiring and they have replaced the computer, spark plugs, valve cover, manifold, distrubuter, and they are now changing the EGR. In addition to this the car squeaks terribly at low speeds. Not only this the car has electrical problems, the cruise quit working, lights turn on and off when they want to and the remote keys only work when they want to any will randomly set the car alarm off. The car is not even junk yard worthy!!!

Favorite Features

Convertible Leathet seats Everything else about it is junk!

Suggested Improvements

I want my money back!!!! I will never buy another Chrysler as long as I live.