1999 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
The looks you get.... Loving it so far
By iamnatman on 10/03/14 17:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I picked up my Jxi a few months ago for a mere $1400. The engine had 165k miles on it, but I was baffled at how well it was taken care of. This is now a 15 year old car, and I'm amazed at how many looks and compliments you get in it. I drive quite a lot, and have put a good amount of mileage on it already as it's currently @ 176k. Haven't had any major issues with it so far. As others have said, there's odd little electrical problems that pop up, but nothing too serious. The dash lights work when they want to, as do the mirror/dome light. Blower motor works on high speed only (this is an easy fix, though). The trunk lid hydraulic lifters also fail, so watch your head when you open it.

Best Bang fot the BUCK!!!
By dcumba on 06/27/14 22:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car 6 months ago for only $900. I have driven this car daily since the purchase. 2 weeks after purchasing it, the transmission went into limp mode. I spent $300 purchasing a used transmission and another 300 to have it put in. I have not had any problems since then. There are other mechanical things that I need to fix, but these are things that were wrong with the car when I first purchased it. This car is amazing. I have not had a car that has been as economical, fun to drive, and reliable as this has been. The two mechanical problems that I spoke of earlier are the lower control arms for both driver and passenger side. There are no other problems with this car.

Fast & Smooth
By miamah on 04/05/14 21:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I bought a JXI in 2008 and it has run beautifully in all sorts of weather. No snow, I live in the Sunbelt. Can cruise at better than 75 mph and still get over 30 mpg. For those that have problems with their dash lights, gauges, etc. I solved it easily by waiting for to warning bells to go off before cranking the starter. A few extra seconds and never had the problem again. Yes, I had to replace the trunk lift shocks, rear window motor, struts & bushings but for a 15 yr. old car I shouldn't complain. The car has beautiful styling and the original paint is as NEW!

Decent car
By brier94_um33 on 04/03/12 07:49 AM (PDT)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

Compared to the other cars that you could get for the same price with a convertible top and all the features this car comes with, its almost unbeatable...almost. Unless you can do your own work or have a second car to drive while your Chrysler Sebring is in the shop, I would recommend looking around before you buy this car. This is an unreliable car and will need serviced more then you may like. The good side of that is replacement parts are cheap and easy to find. For the people that do their own work, you may need to try a few times to be able to get to where you need to be. Considering the front wheel drive, the engine compartment is very cramped. I still enjoyed my Sebring.

Stay away from this car
By mikeson1 on 03/02/12 09:48 AM (PST)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

While the car may look great and fun to drive, it will always be in the shop. I have had the car in the shop 4 times, since I bought it 1 month ago. The car has been severely random misfiring and they have replaced the computer, spark plugs, valve cover, manifold, distrubuter, and they are now changing the EGR. In addition to this the car squeaks terribly at low speeds. Not only this the car has electrical problems, the cruise quit working, lights turn on and off when they want to and the remote keys only work when they want to any will randomly set the car alarm off. The car is not even junk yard worthy!!!

Never waste your money on this car
By jazzielola on 12/03/11 17:55 PM (PST)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

99 Chrysler sebring convertible never waste your money or time on this car, I bought this car with 150K miles October of 2010 and paid 5200$. Came December 2010 it needed freez plugs however when they took the motor out the mounts were so bad they fell apart(total cost 1900$). From January 2011 until December 2011 I have replaced brakes(more than once), timing belt, water pump, starter, battery(more than once), altinator, crankshaft sensor, coil pack, and rollers. Total cost for repairs and labor more than 3200$ I would NEVER get this car again nor recommend it to any one if you see a 99 Chrysler Sebring Convertible on a car lot run the other way. The only pro of this car is the body.

Great Convertible at north of 53 degrees
By bms2 on 11/07/11 09:49 AM (PST)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I bought a '99 Jxi in '02 with the idea of parking it in the winter. By Feb '03, my "winter" car crapped out so I started driving the Jxi year-round and 8 years later I still haven't stopped. I bought winter tires for it. They go on in November and off in March. So far, it has been running great. I put the top down as much as possible living in Edmonton, Canada and that adds up to maybe 100 times a year (May to September is great weather-warm and dry). 285,000km (178,000 miles). In 9 years, I've changed the timing belt, a few sensors, couple of headlights, a windshield and a ball-joint once. It has always handled great. I average about 9 litres/100km (26 mpg u.s.) but I'm a speed demon.

Only car I have kept over 3 yrs
By mmdean on 09/12/11 22:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

My husband purchased my 99 Convert. for my birthday 7 yrs ago, used. I have put in a sensor, passenger power window, battery and thermostat. Absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned and so fun to drive in season. I have stored mine in Wisconsin Winters, after my first winter. The handling in snow was not up to my standars, very light weight, but cannot wait to pull it out every spring. Tires are due for replacement and have been for 3 yrs. With summer driving I could put these off this long. With regular oil changes this has been the best car a woman could ask for! Trunk also needs new lift system, as water sits and does not drain out of that area. Tons of looks when i drive it

2nd Sebring
By shayne3 on 09/03/11 16:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

My first Sebring was the convertible Custom. Loved that car. bought it with only 20,000 miles on it. My husband and I took long trips with it and I can honestly say that when my husband left me for my best friend; I wasn't thinking too9 clearly. I totaled it. That car SAVED my life. When it came time to get another car I immediately went in search for another one. I found one that had been maintained. It has 157,000 miles on it and many of the things that were someone else s were already done. It gets 35 mpg on the highway and mid twenties city. It does have electrical problems, but there tolerable. Trunk can decapitate you, and I need new struts. She does leak fluids at times.

The money pit
By kimberly3720 on 06/16/11 14:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I bought this car a year and a half ago, and this car has been nothing been a problem. Far as problems goes, water problems have been the most common. Far as reliabilty goes, this is not a reliable car.