1998 Chrysler Sebring LX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
First Car
By sebringbaby on 03/20/12 09:13 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LXi 2dr Coupe

I had gotten my Sebring, almost 2 years ago. After the first year, It started turning off when I was driving it back and forth to school. We took it to many mechanics and they said that they couldn't find what was wrong with it. But quite a few said it might be the fuel pump. It is a good car over all. I loved it when my parents first pulled it in the parking lot.

Money Pit
By joey_r on 09/30/11 13:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LXi 2dr Coupe

I've had my '98 Sebring Lxi for 3 years now. I've sunk around $2500 into it. Had to replace the upper passenger side control arm, alternator, timing belt, computer, fuel pump & lines, and both tie-rods. Cheapest tire replacement was $121 each. I love the aggressive style of the car and the interior but all the money into it is not worth it.

Disappointed
By isis12 on 09/01/11 23:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LXi 2dr Coupe

My 1998 Sebring LXi had 95,000kms on it when I bought a few weeks ago and it has a V-6 2.5L engine, it also looks like new. The exterior looks very sharp and sporty, it's fun to drive, and the interior also looks very sharp, with big buttons that are placed intelligently. The seats in this car are very stiff and no matter how much the driver's seat is adjusted there is no comfy way to drive this car. This car has terrible fuel economy because my sister who owns a Grand Am with a 3.1L gets less than 10L/100km in the city while my car gets 11L/100km on the highway and my car has a considerably smaller engine. This car has already cost me $1000+ in repairs. I would not recommend this car.

My First Car
By Joey_R on 08/29/09 06:28 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LXi 2dr Coupe

I bought my Sebring as my first car. I bought it with 150,000 miles on it and it runs great. Besides a replacing the control arm and flex pipe, the car has been amazing.

'98 Sebring Coupe
By Katsalumnus on 04/21/07 14:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LXi 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for more than nine years. I have only had normal wear and tear maintenance on it. I am a medium frame woman and the cockpit and placing of instrument panel is comfortable and useful.

Love my Car
By robby on 03/21/07 10:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 8 years ago, it was the style that attracted me. I liked the sporty look of the front cowl. I love the way it handles, the performance, the comfort. I have taken very good care of it and it has been a great car.

okay for cheap coupe
By Mark on 08/22/06 23:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LXi 2dr Coupe

Yeah those cheap chrysler rims and the brakes I fixed but it does look good! I had to tape together the bottom of the front bumper from curb and road rash, to low! Nice exhaust sound to bad it doesnt translate into horsepower although it goes if you keep your foot in it. The one thing not mentioned is this cars higher insurance rating, still I'll keep it for awhile its kinda fun. Watch out for those curbs and potholes or you'll be looking for new rims!

Just OK...
By Chris on 04/25/06 13:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LXi 2dr Coupe

I have been happy with this car mechanically....but....too low in front, bad turning radius, rattles in glovebox and sunroof, exterior cladding fell off, stiff ride(but enjoyable). I have owned it since new. I would not buy another one. It has been an OK car and decently good looking. The cab forward design was interesting for looks but practical it is not. The newer models don't look as good, and the redesign doesn't even look promising. I won't recommend this car used unless you plan on adding a lot of aftermarket styling and equipment...should be cheap. It isn't even worth what edmunds or bluebook says it is worth.

This is a good car.
By Tim on 04/01/06 23:08 PM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LXi 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as a previous salvage with low mileage. I put over 50K miles on it in two and a half years and only replaced the starter and the battery. When I bought this car I heard of the trans problems so I made sure to maintain the trans every 30k, if you do this I don't think you will have any major problems. Overall this car defines reliability.

Try before you buy
By Jim on 01/18/06 11:01 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Sebring Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

After owning my '98 Sebring LXi for almost a year now, I can honestly say I am very pleased with my decision. The key, if you are thinking about purchasing a Sebring coupe, make sure you test it out and test it quite extensively. Transmissions are an achilles heel so ensure shifts are smooth at numerous RPM settings. The 2.5 V6 is silky smooth - just be sure to replace the timing belt around 100,000 miles to ensure everything keeps going for another 100,000. Sure, there are a few minor niggles but the sheer fact that these cars are packed with some features now seen on premium luxury cars (garage door opener, auto-dim mirror, etc.) makes a used Sebring an incredibly good deal.