1997 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
Car from hell
By blacabanne on 02/26/13 09:54 AM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

Positively the worst car I've ever owned. Bought this piece of crap for $1,500 with 105,000 miles on it and over the course of 10 months was able to drive it only 2,000 miles. Spent over $5,000 in repairs and finally couldn't take it any more. Replaced: Brakes, calipers, seat belt module, timing belt (after it broke and destroyed the cylinder head valves) cam position sensor, crank position sensor, distributor, oil pressure sending unit, transmission module, shift soenoid, ball joints, sway bar links, just to name a few things. Mechanics hate this car, it's a nightmare to work on. I wish I had listened to the guy who said his mechanic used to run and lock the door, he wasn't kidding.

the car i didnt want
By barleypopplz on 02/14/11 09:55 AM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

this was a last option buy for us, our honda was totaled and we needed a car now. we paid 2600 for it, it has 80k original miles now we have had her for 6 months now and have fallen in LOVE with this care

Medicore at best
By iso on 05/05/07 21:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I bought my Sebring Convertible with 98K on it. Not new, I know. My biggest complaint is oil issues. The oil light came on, I took it in and they replaced the oil sending unit. 10 miles later, it came on again. Every mechanic I took it in to gave me a different explanation and a different price. I drove it for a year with the light on. The rear window broke and cost around $1000 to replace. The turning radius is horrid. The interior of the door came away from the door. Crappy Chrysler quality. It was fun to drive, but a headache overall. I'm buying Japanese next time.

1997 Chrysler Sebring Review
By Fred on 05/17/05 18:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

This vehicle is fun to drive and hugs the road at all speeds. It rides real smooth on open highway best. Shifting at high RPMs is smooth and powerful. Convertible model smart looking and by far the best design is the 1997. I will have no problem selling this vehicle when the time is right.

A True A+ Chrysler
By BLPro on 05/06/05 22:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

-I owned this car for three years, and had NO major problems with it. The only repairs were the Battery, Front Breaks, and average Tune-ups. A fantastic Wisconsin winter & summer car. I get 30 miles/Gal. Quick pick-up for Highway Driving. I knew about the drain holes ahead of time, so I avoided wet floors. If you have the "Flooding Problems" & "Standing Water" inside on the floors, just keep the drain holes along the frame under each door uncloged, that should solve the problem with water on the floors. I have had no problem getting people in the back seats either, rather roomy back there. Basic preventative maintainance, and the car has been great. Better then the Benz I had, & cheaper.;)

A Classy Topless
By PLJSB on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

Father purchased my 97 Sebring Jxi for me when I was 15, at a year old it was an awesome car everything I wanted. To this day I still get complimants on it everywhere I go I have a LexusRX, and A Mercedes SLK230 and will still take my Red Jxi convertible out before them. Very reliable car my only problem has been brake pads wearing to fast probably my fault, and the electric antenna up until this year. The past year I spent $600 on her, It needed a tune up and it needed a new radiator, a few minor oil leaks which can be expected for a car with 120,000 miles on her. But everything was fixed and she runs like a car with only 20,000 on her again.

Going Topless
By Kevin Hicks on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

My review: I am writing because I have been so pleased with this car (Sebring JXi convertible.) The 4 cylinder model is not what you want. Get the 6 cylinder. No major issues in the past 4 years and now she is at 112,000 miles. My only manufacturing complaint is the seams on the convertible top should of been double stiched - or at least done better. So I am now getting a new cloth top as a result. I'm going to keep her 1 more year. The 2004 models have a very poor color selection. Sea foam green? PUKE! White=boring. Black- too hot in Florida. If Chrysler will offer a nice blue, or bring back firemist pearl red ( like mine) I will buy another one.

Love My Car
By Carmine on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

This is the best large convertable for the price. It's great in all weather seats 5 with leg room. Great sterio system, it's dependable and handles great.

Never again!
By Carl R. on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

Since day one this car has been nothing but problems. I have replaced the ball joints, axles, brakes twice, ty-rods 3 times. The digital odometer stopped working at 90K. It has had electrcial problems such as the power windows, seats, mirrors anad dash board lights will speratically not function. The top leaks. The battery has died three times in the course of one year. The door hinges have broken and the cooling system has sprung leakes everywhere. My mechanic runs and locks the door everytime I or the tow truck pull up with the car. This car has been a non stop mechanical disater!

More features and fun for the bucks
By Paul Lower on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I have always owned convertibles from the Oldsmobile to the Mustang. I bought the 1997 Sebring JXi and traded in a Mustang 5.0. I have never regreted it. I just traded in the 1997 JXi and bought a 2003 Limited. Both are peppy, quiet, reliable, and look good. The rear seat and trunk space is great. No mechancial problems at all. Dealerships very good. Love the AutoStick(manual shifting for stop and go traffic. Created as a convertible...not a redo...double cloth water tight top. Gearing makes it fast from a stop.