Used 1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

1997 chrysler sebring JXI 2.5l convertible 202,000 km (126,000 miles)
By lanalee

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I recently purchased this car in june. I made a quick purchase with out researching it, but when I test drove it it felt solid, no rust, and the motor sounded good and I needed car fast.. First week, it broke down, and it was a trasmision scensor. It was a big job, but doing so, we knowticed the spark plugs and wires were original since 1997, seems it's just as big a job to change those. very dificult car to work on. even the battery is not accessible. Next problem was the throttle cable. it started to unravel, and the peddle would not come back. BY luck I called chrysler, and they told me it was a recall for that problem, and another recall was fixed on ths 17y old car :-)

Car from hell
By blacabanne

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

Positively the worst car I've ever owned. Bought this piece of crap for $1,500 with 105,000 miles on it and over the course of 10 months was able to drive it only 2,000 miles. Spent over $5,000 in repairs and finally couldn't take it any more. Replaced: Brakes, calipers, seat belt module, timing belt (after it broke and destroyed the cylinder head valves) cam position sensor, crank position sensor, distributor, oil pressure sending unit, transmission module, shift soenoid, ball joints, sway bar links, just to name a few things. Mechanics hate this car, it's a nightmare to work on. I wish I had listened to the guy who said his mechanic used to run and lock the door, he wasn't kidding.

A good looking car. That's it. NOTHING else about this car was well made and it is a horror show trying to keep it on the road. You can't take it to the store and back without it breaking down and needing $500.00 worth of repairs. I would NEVER buy a Chrysler car again. Just ask around to ANYBODY including mechanics about these cars. I kept thinking I would eventually be done fixing this car and be able to enjoy it. Foggedaboudit. It'll NEVER be a car you can trust 5 miles out of town. Never.

If you are thinking about taking a chance on buying one of these cars, have yourself comitted to a mental institution. You'll never get a chance to enjoy this car, it'll be on a hoist all the time. And, it ain't a cheap car to fix; Chrysler did a great job of engineering a car that is nearly impossible to work on, even for seasoned mechanics. If you're like most peope, you'll fall in love with the way this car looks and end up hating this monstrocity in a very short time. It is mind numbing how poorly made this car actually is. I actually had a personalized license plate made for it: "Chrystn" named after "Christine" the car from hell movie. I really did.

the car i didnt want
By barleypopplz

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

this was a last option buy for us, our honda was totaled and we needed a car now. we paid 2600 for it, it has 80k original miles now we have had her for 6 months now and have fallen in LOVE with this care

wiring behind the dash..

Medicore at best
By iso

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I bought my Sebring Convertible with 98K on it. Not new, I know. My biggest complaint is oil issues. The oil light came on, I took it in and they replaced the oil sending unit. 10 miles later, it came on again. Every mechanic I took it in to gave me a different explanation and a different price. I drove it for a year with the light on. The rear window broke and cost around $1000 to replace. The turning radius is horrid. The interior of the door came away from the door. Crappy Chrysler quality. It was fun to drive, but a headache overall. I'm buying Japanese next time.

Convertible top. Stereo.

Better made roof. Better turning radius.

1997 Chrysler Sebring Review
By Fred

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

This vehicle is fun to drive and hugs the road at all speeds. It rides real smooth on open highway best. Shifting at high RPMs is smooth and powerful. Convertible model smart looking and by far the best design is the 1997. I will have no problem selling this vehicle when the time is right.

Sleek look of this vehicle turns heads. The large back seat is the best feature of this convertible and the trunk is also large considering the top retracts into the compartment behind the front seat and in front of the truck.

Suspension needs retouching. Rattles on rough roads. Convertible top lasts approx. 6 years. (I replaced the top during the 7th year.