Used 1997 Chrysler Sebring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chrysler Sebring

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

1997 chrysler sebring JXI 2.5l convertible 202,000 km (126,000 miles)
By lanalee

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I recently purchased this car in june. I made a quick purchase with out researching it, but when I test drove it it felt solid, no rust, and the motor sounded good and I needed car fast.. First week, it broke down, and it was a trasmision scensor. It was a big job, but doing so, we knowticed the spark plugs and wires were original since 1997, seems it's just as big a job to change those. very dificult car to work on. even the battery is not accessible. Next problem was the throttle cable. it started to unravel, and the peddle would not come back. BY luck I called chrysler, and they told me it was a recall for that problem, and another recall was fixed on ths 17y old car :-)

Looks can be decieving.
By pcast99

1997 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Coupe

I bought this car January of 2013 and have had it over a year and it has been a money pit. I've had to replace the brake lines, tie rods and various other items. The radio stopped working and the emergency brake broke. It is also rusted out under the body and I'm told it's only a matter of time until it comes to a point it can't be driven. However I'll admit it is an old car and the previous owner(s) didn't take care of it well. It looks and feels decent but the ride is noisy and it is a painfully slow car. If you are considering buying this vehicle be sure to examine it closely and consider another vehicle first.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats and relatively roomy interior, and the body design isn't that bad.

Suggested Improvements

Give the under body anti rust spray before every winter if you live in areas with snow and salt. The front end could have been re-designed better. I also wish it could have been a faster and smoother ride.

Car from hell
By blacabanne

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

Positively the worst car I've ever owned. Bought this piece of crap for $1,500 with 105,000 miles on it and over the course of 10 months was able to drive it only 2,000 miles. Spent over $5,000 in repairs and finally couldn't take it any more. Replaced: Brakes, calipers, seat belt module, timing belt (after it broke and destroyed the cylinder head valves) cam position sensor, crank position sensor, distributor, oil pressure sending unit, transmission module, shift soenoid, ball joints, sway bar links, just to name a few things. Mechanics hate this car, it's a nightmare to work on. I wish I had listened to the guy who said his mechanic used to run and lock the door, he wasn't kidding.

Favorite Features

A good looking car. That's it. NOTHING else about this car was well made and it is a horror show trying to keep it on the road. You can't take it to the store and back without it breaking down and needing $500.00 worth of repairs. I would NEVER buy a Chrysler car again. Just ask around to ANYBODY including mechanics about these cars. I kept thinking I would eventually be done fixing this car and be able to enjoy it. Foggedaboudit. It'll NEVER be a car you can trust 5 miles out of town. Never.

Suggested Improvements

If you are thinking about taking a chance on buying one of these cars, have yourself comitted to a mental institution. You'll never get a chance to enjoy this car, it'll be on a hoist all the time. And, it ain't a cheap car to fix; Chrysler did a great job of engineering a car that is nearly impossible to work on, even for seasoned mechanics. If you're like most peope, you'll fall in love with the way this car looks and end up hating this monstrocity in a very short time. It is mind numbing how poorly made this car actually is. I actually had a personalized license plate made for it: "Chrystn" named after "Christine" the car from hell movie. I really did.

the car i didnt want
By barleypopplz

1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

this was a last option buy for us, our honda was totaled and we needed a car now. we paid 2600 for it, it has 80k original miles now we have had her for 6 months now and have fallen in LOVE with this care

Suggested Improvements

wiring behind the dash..

Buffalo chips
By buffalo

1997 Chrysler Sebring JX 2dr Convertible

Dependable fun convertible looks brand new recently paint not a scratch or a bump good take off; feel like you are borrowing daddy's car every time you drive it but it's yours

Favorite Features

convertible top

Suggested Improvements

will need new top soon