Used 1996 Chrysler Sebring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

overlooked little gem
By ken brill

1996 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Coupe

I bought my Sebring slightly used at a Chrysler dealer. It was a great buy. The little car gets no publicity, but in my opinion it is an overlooked gem. Great looks, terrific handling, and good gas mileage. Have only had a crank sensor go out in the 6 years I have had it.

DO NOT Buy This Car!!!
By lallaw

1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

This car is garbage. Hard to say what DOES work. Poorly designed, poorly manufactured. No wonder Chrysler needed a bailout. These cars have all kinds of electrical problems. In 18 mos. I've been through 3 batteries; timing belt; distributor; replaced the top; serviced the AC (twice). And I'm told the previous owner took care of it! I hardly drive it and every time I do I am afraid of what will happen next. Now it just stalls in the middle of driving along. On a freeway going 60 mpg you lose all power. Battery works but you become a glider. You pray you make it to the side of the road before being killed. This is a COMMON problem that makes tech scratch their heads. Towed 4 times in 4 mos.

It looks sharp.

Go back to the drawing board boys...this car was crap when you made it and you knew it and you put the American Public at risk, not to mention robbed them, when you manufactured this junk. I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product.

I Miss My Convertible Already!!
By crazykatiemae

1996 Chrysler Sebring JX 2dr Convertible

I loved my Sebring convertible! Most reliable little care I've had! Owned her for 2 years and just sold so I could buy something that is a tad more WI winter friendly! Loved dropping the top on my hour commute home from work after a long day! Made for several fun road trips over summer! Never had a problem with it other than the air condition and heat didn't always work when I wanted them too and I had to chase the boot down the highway a few times...

Convertible! Got about 28mpg highway, I had an awesome aftermarket stereo and speakers so sound was awesome!

I live in WI, so I only got to drop the top for a few months out of the year. Also, only 2 cup holders in a weird location and none in the back seat.

Fun but not worth the trouble
By Bob D

1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

After reading other reviews it has become apparent to me that my experience with the Sebring is somewhat typical. In general, lots of things need tweaking and repairs are costly and frequent. 125k miles - replaced/repaired - panel cluster - many radio components - brakes through and through - fan assembly - soon to replace the rubbers that seat the spark plug tubes (rough idle - arcing) gotta remove the engine cover... we all know what that can cost. Lots of rust spots on the way. When I buy a used car the next time I will consult Edmunds first. Sebring - not again, but the car still remains a head turner. Too much invested to sell but worried what will go next.

Styling is sweet.

More attention to quality control with suppliers and manufacturers. The vehicle has great style and proportion and lots of wonderful features but the bottom line is that the quality of many components are way below par.

Not the best convertible, great to drive
By iisk8

1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

Bought this car new, has needed brakes continually. Just found out entire undercarriage is rotting, and last year the drain holes plugged and the interior flooded blowing the amp and rear speakers. Have to say loved the car, but would not consider buying the updated model. I only get about 10 miles to the gallon on local driving which is all I do.

Retractable roof