1996 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
Luv it
By Mark on 04/28/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring LX 2dr Coupe

Just bought my Sebring coupe in March.I got a great deal on it and it's a fun car to drive,This is the 68th car I've owned and I love it.Great mileage,handles well(except on washboard roads)and accelerates quickly!No problems to speak of.I've owned Mopars from '72 to '96 and this is the best one yet.Does have a hesitation from a stop,but I'll work that out this Summer.I highly recommend this car to anyone who wants a good,fun car that's dependable and stylish and reasonably priced.

Very nice for now!
By Chrysler Sebring LXI on 01/20/09 20:51 PM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Coupe

I've received this car only a month ago. I can say that I am a car fanatic, very fast. Even though I have had this car for only a month I have heads turning and women telling me that it is a very nice car. No problems but a frozen battery in Chicago, of course. And it leaks when it rains, which will be fixed by adding window deflectors. I can't complain. The car was free and I am enjoying its luxury but sporty style. If something goes wrong, it would be a pleasure to fix it and keep it another 13 years. Good job Chrysler!

Affordable Fun
By Ray on 10/16/08 17:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

We bought it last fall with 52K miles. Computer slippery with strong Chrysler retro styling. Roomy, great road trip for two. We read the club's web site cover to cover. We anticipated all the ankle-biter stuff (the "leaks" from clogged drains, instrument cluster solder joints, suspension fixes, etc.). By learning the root cause of these problems we saved hundreds. Purchase price was low, so we invested in long term things (seals, an original blend Candy Apple Red paint job, some body work, some suspension work). Now we enjoy it. We have done a couple of 1K+ road trips. We have less than 60K on the car now and around 10K invested -- and no car payments. It's 12 yrs old, ready for another 12.

My Sebring is perfect
By SebringIS1337 on 10/15/08 16:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

We have had this car for about 6 or 7 years now and the only things we have had get fixed are two flat tires (damn nails) and a new starter. Other than that is has had oil changes. I have one complaint and that is about the tiny front brakes, they are about the size of a coffee can lid, and this car weighs a ton to slow down. But you can take a turn going so fast and you won't loose traction and it is perfect int the snow, just plows right through the snow. Since it weighs so much you can burn out if you want really easy, just step on the gas a tad and you fly!

My Sebring Experience...
By Joshua on 07/21/08 10:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring JX 2dr Convertible

I got this car for my 16th birthday, it was pretty cheap and looked ok, i took it to the shop for the mechanic to check it out and it was ok. Then I learned that it leaks, A LOT when there are hard rains. It soaks into the floor board and starts smelling god awful. Also this shorted out my passenger side speaker. I drives ok. But now I'm 18 and look for something that will not shake when I start it. I would seriously think before buying another convertible.

Serious Convertible
By Hudson Valley on 05/03/08 19:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

This is a Excellent affordable convertible. The 1996 JXI is really a Mitsubishi eclipse super-sized for the American market. To improve power I had larger fuel jets installed and modified the computer tuning, stiffer springs for handling and it is a blast to drive. Bought is used off lease w/ bumper to bumper platinum warranty and had the amp replaced twice the top, speedometer cable, instrument cluster and the entire front end and a bunch of other stuff replaced for "free". Amp just blew again, replacing from ebay $40, why is the amp placed on the floor of a convertible? Considering lowering suspension and rear disk brakes. Keeping it for my son who is only four years old. :)

Bad car
By teresa on 03/21/08 12:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

I bought this brand new put over 115,000 miles on it in 6 yrs before the engine caught fire. Not to mention right after warranty expired the AC froze up and tore up the serpentine belt rendering us helpless on Interstate in Arkansas..the LED readout for mileage went out in year 2 and the convertible leaked horribly from year 4.

Wonderful fun car
By flygirl on 03/07/08 11:03 AM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Sebring JX 2dr Convertible

This car was a great find at $5.5K. As long as you keep an eye on & prevent/repair the usual Chrysler stuff (timing at 100k, belts, on time maintenance, regularly clean trans) you'll find it lasts forever. I have no garage, the car is 13 w/158k and is just starting to show rust speckles, but few. Front end has been a challenge, but overall this car hasn't cost much more than normal maintenance. Love the pep and sleekness of the car. I even tow packaged it and tow my canoe/trailer.

Great first car!
By adominique3 on 06/20/07 14:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with over 100k miles, and had few problems with it over the 4 years I owned it. The biggest problem that I had was a worn out head gasket, but that was after I had the car 4 years and put 92,000 miles on it. Dependable, good gas mileage (28-33 mpg w/ the V6), and sporty look. Got it at a great price, and definitely got my money's worth.

Best car I've owned in 40 years
By LoveUSA on 06/16/07 22:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring JX 2dr Convertible

I bought this car new (5000 miles) and have never had a moments trouble. It's still running strong after all these years, with only regular maintenance and fluid checks. Brakes had to be re-padded, that's all. I would definitely consider buying another Chrysler Sebring. It's still looks and runs as nice as when I first bought it. Have a few recall notices over the years, minor things like convertible top instructions and shift lock. Other than that, you can't go wrong with one of these cars.. and their so hot looking, quiet and smooth. Love it!