Used 1996 Chrysler Sebring Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chrysler Sebring - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chrysler Sebring

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

Great car
By G Barbo

1996 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Coupe

Purchased this car brand new. Car has not been repair free but is any car with 255000 plus miles. This car had two transmission replacements but I believe that was the fault of the first driver. I drove the car from 63000 miles to the present 255000 plus on the same transmission. I also had the rear main seal replaced once. It is in need of it again. There were some recall notices on the front ball joints. Other than those major items I had no complaints with this car. At 255000 miles I still get 27 miles to the gallon and as high as 32 on the original engine. This car is very well built, I loved the solidness that you could feel when driving this car.

The look of this car first caught my eye. It was before Chrysler and dodge reentered Nascar. I fell in love with the style and sleekness from the very first time I saw one. My car is the LXI Coupe. It has everything that was possible to purchase at that time on the car, very luxurious.

The only thing I might do to this car would be to offer it in a V8 version, the V6 just never had the wow factor that a V8 version would have had.

overlooked little gem
By ken brill

1996 Chrysler Sebring LXi 2dr Coupe

I bought my Sebring slightly used at a Chrysler dealer. It was a great buy. The little car gets no publicity, but in my opinion it is an overlooked gem. Great looks, terrific handling, and good gas mileage. Have only had a crank sensor go out in the 6 years I have had it.

DO NOT Buy This Car!!!
By lallaw

1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

This car is garbage. Hard to say what DOES work. Poorly designed, poorly manufactured. No wonder Chrysler needed a bailout. These cars have all kinds of electrical problems. In 18 mos. I've been through 3 batteries; timing belt; distributor; replaced the top; serviced the AC (twice). And I'm told the previous owner took care of it! I hardly drive it and every time I do I am afraid of what will happen next. Now it just stalls in the middle of driving along. On a freeway going 60 mpg you lose all power. Battery works but you become a glider. You pray you make it to the side of the road before being killed. This is a COMMON problem that makes tech scratch their heads. Towed 4 times in 4 mos.

It looks sharp.

Go back to the drawing board boys...this car was crap when you made it and you knew it and you put the American Public at risk, not to mention robbed them, when you manufactured this junk. I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product.

I Miss My Convertible Already!!
By crazykatiemae

1996 Chrysler Sebring JX 2dr Convertible

I loved my Sebring convertible! Most reliable little care I've had! Owned her for 2 years and just sold so I could buy something that is a tad more WI winter friendly! Loved dropping the top on my hour commute home from work after a long day! Made for several fun road trips over summer! Never had a problem with it other than the air condition and heat didn't always work when I wanted them too and I had to chase the boot down the highway a few times...

Convertible! Got about 28mpg highway, I had an awesome aftermarket stereo and speakers so sound was awesome!

I live in WI, so I only got to drop the top for a few months out of the year. Also, only 2 cup holders in a weird location and none in the back seat.

Fun but not worth the trouble
By Bob D

1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi 2dr Convertible

After reading other reviews it has become apparent to me that my experience with the Sebring is somewhat typical. In general, lots of things need tweaking and repairs are costly and frequent. 125k miles - replaced/repaired - panel cluster - many radio components - brakes through and through - fan assembly - soon to replace the rubbers that seat the spark plug tubes (rough idle - arcing) gotta remove the engine cover... we all know what that can cost. Lots of rust spots on the way. When I buy a used car the next time I will consult Edmunds first. Sebring - not again, but the car still remains a head turner. Too much invested to sell but worried what will go next.

Styling is sweet.

More attention to quality control with suppliers and manufacturers. The vehicle has great style and proportion and lots of wonderful features but the bottom line is that the quality of many components are way below par.