1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:
A really underrated car
By Stan on 09/03/10 00:59 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JX 2dr Convertible

Bought my used 1996 Sebring JX ragtop 2 and a half years ago. The engine had caught fire due to a problem that had been misdiagnosed by the previous owner so I got it cheap. I also made all the necessary repairs. Now I have a good looking (candy apple red) rag top that I can take on 1000 mile road trips and get 28 mpg. I replaced the top (yes ladies, all rag tops leak to some extent and at some point tops will wear out)It handles well and is a very practical car that is a rag top. The Mitsubishi 2.5 V-6 is a much better engine than the Chrysler engine used in later sebrings. It is a tough car to work on though. When my engine finally dies I will replace it with a 3000 GT engine.

Driving a ragtop
By sirjerryk on 08/16/10 13:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JX 2dr Convertible

I had a pony convertible before and did not realize when I sold it I would miss having a small convertible. I found the '96 Chrysler Sebring to be both stylish and fun to drive. The car handle well on the freeway and hills slow it down. I realize that this car has some problems as the Tack and Odometer did not work as well as the gas gauge. I am looking at some $$$ ahead but I still think it worth it.

Death Trap
By Maddie S on 02/18/10 13:41 PM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

This car has swayed me against convertibles and Chryslers forever. I recieved this car 13 years after it was made, but that is no excuse for the quality at which it operates. I got hit in this car, flipped, and it almost killed me. One time I was riding with the top up, and the wind nearly ripped it off. The brakes were bad. And the rag top leaked, eventually leading to a nasty case of mold growing in the back. Horrible gas mileage as well, maybe 14 miles per gallon. This car was not only a hazard to my social life, but to my actual life as well.

DO NOT Buy This Car!!!
By lallaw on 09/11/09 15:11 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

This car is garbage. Hard to say what DOES work. Poorly designed, poorly manufactured. No wonder Chrysler needed a bailout. These cars have all kinds of electrical problems. In 18 mos. I've been through 3 batteries; timing belt; distributor; replaced the top; serviced the AC (twice). And I'm told the previous owner took care of it! I hardly drive it and every time I do I am afraid of what will happen next. Now it just stalls in the middle of driving along. On a freeway going 60 mpg you lose all power. Battery works but you become a glider. You pray you make it to the side of the road before being killed. This is a COMMON problem that makes tech scratch their heads. Towed 4 times in 4 mos.

I Miss My Convertible Already!!
By crazykatiemae on 08/01/09 11:22 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JX 2dr Convertible

I loved my Sebring convertible! Most reliable little care I've had! Owned her for 2 years and just sold so I could buy something that is a tad more WI winter friendly! Loved dropping the top on my hour commute home from work after a long day! Made for several fun road trips over summer! Never had a problem with it other than the air condition and heat didn't always work when I wanted them too and I had to chase the boot down the highway a few times...

Fun but not worth the trouble
By Bob D on 07/30/09 10:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

After reading other reviews it has become apparent to me that my experience with the Sebring is somewhat typical. In general, lots of things need tweaking and repairs are costly and frequent. 125k miles - replaced/repaired - panel cluster - many radio components - brakes through and through - fan assembly - soon to replace the rubbers that seat the spark plug tubes (rough idle - arcing) gotta remove the engine cover... we all know what that can cost. Lots of rust spots on the way. When I buy a used car the next time I will consult Edmunds first. Sebring - not again, but the car still remains a head turner. Too much invested to sell but worried what will go next.

Not the best convertible, great to drive
By iisk8 on 07/23/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

Bought this car new, has needed brakes continually. Just found out entire undercarriage is rotting, and last year the drain holes plugged and the interior flooded blowing the amp and rear speakers. Have to say loved the car, but would not consider buying the updated model. I only get about 10 miles to the gallon on local driving which is all I do.

Affordable Fun
By Ray on 10/16/08 17:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

We bought it last fall with 52K miles. Computer slippery with strong Chrysler retro styling. Roomy, great road trip for two. We read the club's web site cover to cover. We anticipated all the ankle-biter stuff (the "leaks" from clogged drains, instrument cluster solder joints, suspension fixes, etc.). By learning the root cause of these problems we saved hundreds. Purchase price was low, so we invested in long term things (seals, an original blend Candy Apple Red paint job, some body work, some suspension work). Now we enjoy it. We have done a couple of 1K+ road trips. We have less than 60K on the car now and around 10K invested -- and no car payments. It's 12 yrs old, ready for another 12.

My Sebring is perfect
By SebringIS1337 on 10/15/08 16:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

We have had this car for about 6 or 7 years now and the only things we have had get fixed are two flat tires (damn nails) and a new starter. Other than that is has had oil changes. I have one complaint and that is about the tiny front brakes, they are about the size of a coffee can lid, and this car weighs a ton to slow down. But you can take a turn going so fast and you won't loose traction and it is perfect int the snow, just plows right through the snow. Since it weighs so much you can burn out if you want really easy, just step on the gas a tad and you fly!

My Sebring Experience...
By Joshua on 07/21/08 10:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JX 2dr Convertible

I got this car for my 16th birthday, it was pretty cheap and looked ok, i took it to the shop for the mechanic to check it out and it was ok. Then I learned that it leaks, A LOT when there are hard rains. It soaks into the floor board and starts smelling god awful. Also this shorted out my passenger side speaker. I drives ok. But now I'm 18 and look for something that will not shake when I start it. I would seriously think before buying another convertible.