Used 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

My Classic
By nord

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

I wanted this car new, but I was moving back in 96. Now in 2016 I've owned it for a year. Picked it up for around $2G it had 81G miles on it. After a year of my daughter using it as her first car and putting about 8G miles on it, It's been Great! Just put a nice Subaru red on it(my daughter hated the gold color, & I lost that battle lol) If you can find one in the condition mine was BUY IT!

A really underrated car
By Stan

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JX 2dr Convertible

Bought my used 1996 Sebring JX ragtop 2 and a half years ago. The engine had caught fire due to a problem that had been misdiagnosed by the previous owner so I got it cheap. I also made all the necessary repairs. Now I have a good looking (candy apple red) rag top that I can take on 1000 mile road trips and get 28 mpg. I replaced the top (yes ladies, all rag tops leak to some extent and at some point tops will wear out)It handles well and is a very practical car that is a rag top. The Mitsubishi 2.5 V-6 is a much better engine than the Chrysler engine used in later sebrings. It is a tough car to work on though. When my engine finally dies I will replace it with a 3000 GT engine.

Styling. I think the 96 Sebring rag top was one of the best looking cars of the decade. Practicality. What other rag top seats 4 people, their luggage and gets 28 mpg?

The 2.5 engine should have been the base engine, and the 3.0 Mitsubishi 3000GT engine should have been an option.

Driving a ragtop
By sirjerryk

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JX 2dr Convertible

I had a pony convertible before and did not realize when I sold it I would miss having a small convertible. I found the '96 Chrysler Sebring to be both stylish and fun to drive. The car handle well on the freeway and hills slow it down. I realize that this car has some problems as the Tack and Odometer did not work as well as the gas gauge. I am looking at some $$$ ahead but I still think it worth it.

The over all looks and the handling of the car make it worth while.

better front brakes and electrical components to won and drive.

Death Trap
By Maddie S

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

This car has swayed me against convertibles and Chryslers forever. I recieved this car 13 years after it was made, but that is no excuse for the quality at which it operates. I got hit in this car, flipped, and it almost killed me. One time I was riding with the top up, and the wind nearly ripped it off. The brakes were bad. And the rag top leaked, eventually leading to a nasty case of mold growing in the back. Horrible gas mileage as well, maybe 14 miles per gallon. This car was not only a hazard to my social life, but to my actual life as well.

Easy to manuver

Everything

DO NOT Buy This Car!!!
By lallaw

1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

This car is garbage. Hard to say what DOES work. Poorly designed, poorly manufactured. No wonder Chrysler needed a bailout. These cars have all kinds of electrical problems. In 18 mos. I've been through 3 batteries; timing belt; distributor; replaced the top; serviced the AC (twice). And I'm told the previous owner took care of it! I hardly drive it and every time I do I am afraid of what will happen next. Now it just stalls in the middle of driving along. On a freeway going 60 mpg you lose all power. Battery works but you become a glider. You pray you make it to the side of the road before being killed. This is a COMMON problem that makes tech scratch their heads. Towed 4 times in 4 mos.

It looks sharp.

Go back to the drawing board boys...this car was crap when you made it and you knew it and you put the American Public at risk, not to mention robbed them, when you manufactured this junk. I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product.