Used 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chrysler Pt-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (5 reviews )

Smile time
By j meisenbach

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Wife picked this car out while driving by the dealership. Test drive was satisfactory, price was right, wife was right, traded my 97 Stratus ES. Overall, after a year, quite satisfactory. Bad fit on the doors, rowdy motor, so-so gas mileage, all disappear when the top goes down. Then its all grins (and compliments from bystanders).

Favorite Features

Top-down time, of course. Excellent ride and handling. Motor quiets down after it is warmed up. Bad boy style.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, but acceptable as is.

engine type makes ALL the difference
By b1-66er

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

rented a convertible two different times for a total of 2k miles and thought it was the funnest car i'd ever driven. when i heard they were going to discontinue it, i ordered one from the factory. feels top-heavy on sharp turns but is an absolute king of flat-out cruising. the standard engine is adequate -- the turbo is thrilling. the stereo upgrade is worth every penny and is easily the best audio i've ever heard in ANY vehicle. front seats are comfortable -- especially with leather and seat heaters. the back seats are cambered just a bit too far back. tons and tons of head room. extremely easy engine to check the oil on. very fun.

Favorite Features

stereo upgrade. the easiest top to operate on any convertible i've ever seen. "all windows down" switch is fabulous. turbo engine is snappy fast. leather seats feel luxurious -- heaters make them spectacular.

Suggested Improvements

tighten the suspension so it doesn't feel so sloppy on the corners. have the rear trunk open down instead of up and be able to sit on it. needs to get MUCH better gas mileage -- i average about 21 mpg with an 85 highway/15 city mix.

Love the PT
By Mark

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third PT. My first of the Limited and I wished it had a little more power and better handling. In 2004, I traded it in for the GT and I've loved it ever since. But I've always wanted a convertible so I just traded it in for a Vanilla one with the turbo. I couldn't be happier. I've read some comments about discontinuing the PT and I hope it's not true because I'll want another one in a few years.

Favorite Features

Turbo, style, 17 inch wheels, color, 4 speed transmission with manual override, riding position, interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Extend the nose and make it a little more pointy like some of the 50's styles.

I can't believe I bought this great car!
By BIG NL

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this all of 2 days and its been incredible. Everyone goes WOW!!! The surf blue is a real eye catcher. I am a large person and everyone is shocked I bought this convertible!!! At 350 lbs.. most cars are not suitable but this is so roomy! Of course all good things in Detroit get discontinued. Had to really search to find one but so far it was well worth it!

Favorite Features

The convertible and color!

Suggested Improvements

Better radio better mileage.

Had to have one!
By skierx420

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I ordered a 2008 PT Conv. with a 5 speed for my wife to replace her tiny Hyundai Accent. We wanted a fun car. Even though it was December and we are in the North the car handles great on the snow. The gears are a little closer in range than her Hyundai and the shifter has a better action. The car handles great even though it is a little porky and we like to hustle the car. The fuel economy could be better as we are getting about 26 mpg right now. After break in and warmer weather that number should be better. We love the insulated top. Its quieter than the Hyundai and its just as warm. YES essentials seats are great, coffee doesn't soak in!

Favorite Features

YES Essentials seats, 5 speed, adequate trunk for a convertible, good ride, not to firm not to soft, handles well, fold flat front seat. It can haul skis inside!

Suggested Improvements

A bit better fuel economy would be great, but it is the old 2.4 from the base minivans in a vehicle that weighs 3500 lbs. Since this is a discontinued model there is nothing they will ever improve. Glad I got one of the last ones!