2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chrysler Pt-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

2007 PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

Sort Reviews by

used and nothing but issues
By nicoleo

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

this is my very first car. ive had it since October for my birthday. nothing but problems the thing leaks oil like no tomorrow breaks had to be changed a week or so after I got it while changing the breaks my dad noticed that the outside tire rods where hanging on by a thread that scared me quite a bit. the acceleration sucks! in Canada gas is cheap like 90cents a L so it takes about $25 to fill it from just under half. driving to school there and back is 30 ish km and 30 to the city cant wait to get rid of it!

Favorite Features

the look is nice but car sucks

Suggested Improvements

get rid of it

What Was I Thinking
By ddust

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Biggest mistake of my life.....and that includes 2 ex wives. My 1973, lime green Chevy Pinto was better than this car.

Favorite Features

Only looked good when I was drunk

Suggested Improvements

Pull all these cars off the road. Just looking at them is considered abuse

Worst mistake I ever made, don't buy one!
By 4x4thewin

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I babied my PT Cruiser, but once it hit 90k miles it all went down hill. Routine service like starter, alternator, brakes is all to be expected but it didn't seem to matter how much I put into it mechanically, every few months a new problem would arise. At 120k it started pouring oil out, had a blown head gasket. Kelley Blue Book value was less than an engine rebuild, so I cut my losses and donated it as is. If your thinking of getting one, don't. I wouldn't take one for free!

Favorite Features

Only good thing was having a 4 cylinder for great mpg. They feel stiff to drive, no room for car seats or groceries. Both back door locks broke, I had one door stuck shut and the other didn't want to stay closed. Base model felt like a car from the 80's, no options at all. You live and you learn, just so happy its gone!

Suggested Improvements

Don't ever put it back into production.

I am glad Chrysler folded, they deserved it
By gbw123

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the biggest piece of junk ever built. I bought it for a college student with a long commute for semester breaks. Everything that could go wrong with this car did. Brakes, calipers, air conditioning, radiator, electrical, engine leaks, engine light coming on, heavy vibrations when idling. I have to believe this vehicle was built as a bad joke. Someone at the head of the old Chrysler must have had an inept kid they gave a job to and they designed this car. The value dropped by 80% in one year. The only positive thing about this vehicle is the amount of interior space. We can fit a lot of stuff. Gas mileage is also pathetic. Shame on you old Chrysler. Your car is a disgrace

Favorite Features

interior room is the only positive things about this car.

Suggested Improvements

Start over. There is nothing in this car that is even worth improving. After replacing radiators, calipers, multiple brake pads, CV boots and many other repairs, we will live with the oil leak that would cost more to repair than the car is worth on a trade. I hope Fiat has more respect for the American consumer and eliminates anyone involved in the building, marketing and selling of this car to the American public.

biggest mistake ever
By nhmom73

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I hate to write this, because I am about to make yet another repair in the 1k range. And want to get it off my hands very soon after. I bought mine with 14k on the engine for 14k. Have had so many problems I would need a website to list. Knock on wood, the only thing I have not replaced is the transmission. At 32k I had to replace all 4 cylinders. Was very upset that Chrysler would not help with the repair. It was a manufacture issue as they were never correct. They offered free parts if I used a dealership, but that would have cost me more than my mechanic. Then 3 crank shaft sensors...need to bring it in now to find why the 3rd has found... It shakes at 50 and above on the rd...problems

Favorite Features

Easy to tow????

Suggested Improvements

I could go on and on., =(

Nothing but problems
By sexysloth

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the worst cars I've ever owned or driven. It gets very poor gas mileage and the acceleration is extremely poor. If even a drop of water get on the seats, it leaves a watermark you'll never be able to get out. The dashboard is poorly laid out and I personally hate the circular design of the dash. The check engine light went on and off intermittently for a year, mechanics had no idea what was wrong with it. Whenever anyone sat in the passenger seat, the airbag light dinged loudly every 5 minutes. The car shook violently when idling or over 45-50mph. At 60k miles, the engine was completely shot. We ended up trading it in to a dealership at an extremely low price for a Ford.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Shoddy mechanics on this vehicle. Zero reliability. Needs improved gas mileage.

It was so nice at first.....
By kidsasuke

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a used one of these for about $7500. It looked brand new and handled fine, but then the problems started. We had to replace the brakes twice, and the check engine and airbag lights both stayed on. It ended up costing us about $2000 in repairs and is crap for mileage. We calculated it at about 13.9 mpg doing mostly city driving. The handling feels smooth, but the turn radius is pretty cruddy considering its size. We would've been better off buying a Corolla.

Favorite Features

Interior is really roomy and comfortable, car won't let you lock the doors while the key's in the ignition, and the brakes are very responsive.

Suggested Improvements

Move the power window controls. Why the hell are they only on the console? Also, the high beams switch is in a god-awful place, connected to your signal lights. You wouldn't believe how many times I've turned them on while trying to signal.

Back For Seconds
By ptlover45

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought an 02 PT base, 5spd, ac, non-turbo with 11K miles, drove it for 33K miles. Replaced wiper motor under warranty. Traded it in on a new 07 PT base Auto. trans., ac, Sirius radio, non-turbo. Replaced camshaft positioning sensor under warranty. Currently has 25k miles on it. Never added oil to either PT in 58K mile of driving. Gas mileage for both was 18 (city) and 35 ( highway) Great retro styling and plenty of room. Excellent visibility in all directions.

Favorite Features

Styling, ease of entry and egress, privacy glass, excellent heater and AC. Gas mileage is good for a truck and there is no oil consumption. Best small car Chrysler has made in the last 40 years!! Biggest mistake Chrysler made was stopping production after 2010 model year and 1.3 million units produced!! Reasonably priced, Very reliable. Redesign of the dash in 06 ( 07) with radio above the hvac controls is more convenient. Also gauges not recessed as deeply, cutting glare from sunlight. Cargo hooks for grocery bags and cargo cover are nice touches.

Suggested Improvements

Original 01 design with teardrop headlight lenses and triangular fog lamps had more of a street rod look. Plastic headlight lenses fog over and need buffing out on all PTs. Original 01 interior with suede accents was classier than later cheap no-stain interior. Pointed front end styling creates a cramped engine compartment that is awkward to work in. Wider rear cargo compartment would accommodate golf clubs. Spare tire storage is awkward at best. Headlight bulbs are a bear to replace.

Biggest Mistake
By convertibe

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The PT Cruiser has been the biggest mistake I have ever driven. Forced to drive it as a result of financial difficulties and automobile difficulties, I have been given the reigns(courtesy of a loving family member) to a car which I despise. Let me give you a list of complaints. The styling is horrible. I wouldn't let a blind person drive this car. It is the ugliest car I have ever seen. Its handling is so porous so I believe I can outmaneuver the car with a large Uhaul truck. The acceleration is pathetic. I had a child zoom by me on their skateboard (and I had the gas pedal completely floored...kidding but...) The car has been in the shop almost as much as it has been on the road.

Favorite Features

It is better than walking.

Suggested Improvements

Do not make this model of car. Bring back the Chrysler Crossfire. That was a high performing car with some style.

great 07 cruiser convertible
By vwcamperman

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this car slightly used 4 years ago with 23k on it..It is fun to drive,and one of the most dependable cars ever owned.The vehicle has 70k miles now and minimal maint issues.Brake pads at 50k(Approx 40.00 bucks) and cam sensor at 63k miles..( 39.00 dollar fix)Thats parts only..I do my own maint.Thats it other than a set of tires.We live in a climate with lots of snow and found this car to be unstoppable with studded snow tires on front..Yeah I know.You might be a redneck driving a convertible with studded tires in the winter.LOL.We chose this over the Beetle convertible because it has much better interior room,especially in the back seat where adults can sit comfortably

Favorite Features

Styling,fun to drive,dependability

Suggested Improvements

Softer seats..Get a bit hard after couple hour trip.I found fuel mileage jumps about 3-4 miles per gallon with 93 octane.Worth the extra.Went from 16 up to 19 city and up from 19.5 highway to 23 consistently.